Former Athletica Players

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by Cville K C, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since there are a few of us that want to continue to follow our players, I thought we could use a thread to post updates on our former players. If anyone sees any stories about our former players, feel free to post here.

June 12-13

TINA DIMARTINO - SCORED HER FIRST WPS GOAL! Albeit in a 3-1 loss to Gold Pride.

Shannon Boxx (GP), Lindsay Tarpley (BOS), and Jill Loyden (CHI) all played 90 minutes for their teams.

India Trotter (SB) started, while Kendall Fletcher (SB) and Anita Asante (CHI) came in as 2nd half subs.

2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems Hope Solo said on KTRS that she already sold her loft in downtown St.Louis.

Damn that was fast! :(

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. jolieandbecks

jolieandbecks Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope & Kia played soccer with some kids in South Africa on Tuesday. There some pix and a few stories written by the kids @ http://2010teamup.blogspot.com/

YOU GOTTA HAVE HOPE
    Hope Solo, goalkeeper for the U.S. women's national team, was breakfasting here Tuesday before a clinic appearance in Soweto for the Grassroot Project fighting AIDS around the world.

Even though she plays for the No. 1-ranked women's team in the world, Solo is scrambling to maintain a professional career. When St. Louis Athletica of the Women's Professional Soccer league folded last month, she hooked on with the winless, expansion Atlanta Beat.

"We knew there were rumblings, with two new owners," she said of Athletica's demise, which played in her hometown. "You felt it coming.

"It was pretty crushing. We had so much pride in that team, and now I'm on an expansion team in last place. But I like adversity. We'll just have to win 12 of our last 17 to make the playoffs."

Solo, 28, anchored the 2008 Olympic gold medal team, after creating a very public controversy at the 2007 women's World Cup, when she complained about the decision by coach Greg Ryan to start Briana Scurry.

If she were an equivalent star on the men's team, like Tim Howard, Solo would have no problem earning millions.​

"That's the way it is in general, in every aspect of life," Solo said. "It's continuous catchup for women. But making a living at what you love, you can't expect more."​

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/worldcup2010/2010/06/16/2010-06-16_british_newspaper_website_creates_lego_video_mimicking_usengland_world_cup_match.html

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, a good week for former Athletica players.

Tina Ellertson scores the only goal in Atlantica's 1-0 victory over Chicago.
    Tina DiMartino scores a goal as Philadelphia destroys Sky Blue 4-1.

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweet from Charlie Naimo...

"I really think we found our way in this loss.. I feel some goals this weekend. Press with Morgan will be a handful.. and Larsen ready soon"

Larsen refers to Kristina Larsen. (And Press refers to Christen Press of Stanford and Morgan refers to Alex Morgan of Cal, both likely to become high draft choices when they graduate).

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. AlwaysAthletica

May 28, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, Cville K C, for all your comments & notes. I'm following - keep it up!

9. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

Tina DiMartino assisted on a goal for Philadelphia tonight. She now has two goals and an assist in June.

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo and Boxx are called up for USWNT vs. Sweden:

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Womens...er-For-Two-Summer-Matches-Against-Sweden.aspx

Also, Loyden made it.

I'm still disappointed that Chalupny and Ellertson haven't been called up. I know there were issues with getting Chalupny cleared healthwise earlier, but surely she would be cleared now (or else she probably shouldn't be playing WPS). And Tina just never has gotten another chance in spite of being one of the best center backs in WPS, as well as one of the fastest.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ellertson may not be chosen because Marta made a fool of her in the last WWC in 2007.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iba7RiOuvEQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Brazil Marta Amazing Goal vs USA (World Cup China)[/ame]

12. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Pia's making her decision based on that one play, she isn't much of a coach. Marta has made whole teams look bad. Most people agree that the USWNT backline is slow and probably their Achilles heal.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Can't argue with that.

14. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well if that's the reason Whitehill should have been cut too. Her sumo stance didn't frighten Marta enough to not fly right around her.

15. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A brief update on former Athletica players in W-League:

Erin Walter has scored 2 goals in 5 matches with the Colorado Force.

Sarah Wagenfuhr has played in 6 matches for the Colorado Rush and has an assist.

Kristina Larsen has played in one match for Pali Blues.

Sarah Teegarden has scored a goal in 3 matches for the Chicago Red Eleven.

Erin Kane (2009 developmental keeper) has played in 8 games and has 5 shutouts and a 0.625 goals against average.

Melissa Tancredi (2009) has 5 goals and an assist with the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Daniela is still listed on the roster of the Hampton Road Piranhas, but has not played and I'm assuming she's still rehabbing the leg.

16. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    I think Ellerston has improved her game since the Marta debacle. She plays smarter and more disciplined soccer. I don't know what the deal is with Lori, if its not extreme caution about her concussion situation, but I can't imagine her not being a part of the final team.

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a pretty good weekend for our former players. Eni Aluko got her first goal for the Atlanta Beat and it held up in their 1-0 victory over Sky Blue. Hope Solo got the shutout over Sky Blue, following her shutout of Sweden the night before with the USWNT. Lindsay Tarpley got an assist on the winning goal for Boston over Washington.

Considering we won our only match against both Gold Pride and Philadelphia, the league's top two teams, and considering every other team has a losing record, it's a shame we still don't have Athletica. They would certainly have been in the playoff chase and may have given Gold Pride a run for their money. I know it's crying over spilt milk, but I don't care. We had a very good team and they deserved better.

18. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo got her fourth shutout for Atlanta (5th of the year) today against Gold Pride. Lori Chalupny has returned to the lineup after having back problems and earned (?) a yellow card. I couldn't tell if it was for the original foul, which was barely even a foul and certainly not a card, or for complaining afterwards.

Several of our former (2010) players started this weekend:

Atlanta-Solo, Chalupny, Ellertson, Aluko, and Miyama.
    Sky Blue-Fletcher
    Washington-Harris
    Gold Pride-Boxx
    Boston-Tarpley

Atlanta (or Atlantica for those so inclined) now have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs. They are only three points behind 4th place Chicago and have two games in hand against the Red Stars. With our players spread around the league, it's pretty much assured that some of them will see playoff action.

I'm trying to decide where I want to go on Labor Day weekend. Washington is at Chicago on Sunday, September 5 at 6 pm. Sky Blue is at Atlanta on the same day. Since it's a long weekend, I think I could make either. Decisions, decisions.....

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did you forget about Loyden?

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you know better than that, especially given my staunch defense of her over at the Red Star forum. No, I was confining it to those players that were with the team when they disbanded. Also didn't include Washington, since I don't think she ever officially signed with Saint Louis.

21. flamepruf

flamepruf New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Letting you know I'm still reading your updates, since I haven't had much time to watch Sunday matches lately.

22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Cville it's amazing how you keep up with all the ex-Athletica players! It's almost like you work for the WPS press..LOL

23. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's three months since Athletica has played a game and they're still only 13 points out of a playoff spot. What a waste. Okay, frustrations out of the way, to the players.

Lori Chalupny got her first goal for Atlanta today. Good to see her healthy and scoring.

Unfortunately for Atlanta, Tina DiMartino countered with two goals for the Independence. That gives her four goals since going to Philly.

Lindsay Tarpley scored a goal for Boston today.

Ashlyn Harris got her second shutout in the last three matches for Washington on Saturday.

And the bad news....as the Chicago forum has already posted, Elise Weber is out for the season with an injury sustained in training.

Also, Niki Cross has once again signed with Gold Pride. She's had a rather interesting season. After playing all of 2009 with Athletica, she signed as a free agent with Gold Pride in the offseason. They cut her, then Athletica picked her back up. Then Athletica folded and Boston picked her up. Boston then waived her, then picked her back up, then terminated her contract. And finally back to Gold Pride where she started the year (although she never played for them). She's logged more miles not playing than she has playing.:rolleyes: Wherever she winds up, we wish her the best.

24. AlwaysAthletica

May 28, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Road trips anyone?

I know Labor Day to Atlanta would be good, but won't fit in my personal schedule... I'm thinking about August 28th to Atlanta (lots cheaper to drive to ATL than to fly into Hartford or Boston for the 21st game - as much as I'd love to go to that game considering the hub bub between the Riptide & Hope...)

Anyone gone to Atlanta yet this year? About 8 hours driving straight?

25. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a pretty conservative driver, but I would make it 8.5 to 9 hours with a stop for gas. More if you stop for lunch.

I've thought about trips to both Chicago and Atlanta, but I was hoping both would be fighting for playoff spots to make it all the more exciting. At this point, both are in trouble, although if Chicago could win at Washington on Thursday, their chances would improve greatly.

I can't do midweek games, because I have very little vacation, so the remaining possibilities for me are:

8/22 (Sunday, 5 pm) FC Gold Pride at Chicago (on FSC)
    8/28 (Saturday, 7 pm ET, 6 pm CT) FC Gold Pride at Atlanta
    9/5 (Sunday, 5 pm) Washington at Chicago (on FSC)
    9/5 (Sunday, 6 pm ET, 5 pm CT) Sky Blue at Atlanta

Chicago are day trips, Atlanta would be a one-night sleepover.

What does everyone else think?