Formations Thread - 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 / 3-4-3

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Blind should be sold.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  2. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I've never been annoyed with Shaw's offensive abilities, mostly his defensive displays, so I find it hard to believe anyone would rate AY or Blind above him as a wingback.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    His offensive abilities aren't too much of an issue at LB. Especially when there's a winger in front of him.

4. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i found this in a MEN comments section. Any thoughts ?

Fabinho - Bailly - Kolasinac

Valencia - Herrera - Pogba - Sigurdsson

Mkhi - Rashford - Sanchez

5. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Replace Sanchez with Martial, Rashford with someone good. Sigurdsson as in the dude at Swansea? lol

Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is stupid.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The front line is excellent. Other than that, no thanks. The midfield doesn't help Pogba at all and Sigi at LWB/LM? In what world is he able to play that position? He's a CAM and not an overly mobile one at that. Plus the back line is only one real CB and one that's not that great of a passer as the middle CB?

Trash lineup.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If the defenders can make a go of three at the back, would also like us to consider 3-5-2 to get some support around Ibra given he likes to drop back. Plus think we need a pacy striker to create space for Ibra, Pogs, Mata/Mikhi.

Something like;

-------------Rash - Ibra
    Shaw - Pogba - Mata - Valencia
    ---------------Herrera

Put Mata there as he is a leftie, but Mikhi probs more productive. Mou would probably go Young rather than Shaw and could be Carrick rather than Herrera depending on rotation. Martial could rotate with Rashford - might get him out of his funk about having to play wider than he likes.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That lineup would work for the most part, except against quality teams with a good midfield and attack, because Herrera on his own in a single pivot would not be able to handle that job.
    Carrick (or Blind if he were ever considered for the position) would be the better fit there. Exactly why we're probably going to target a physical CM this summer.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't need a pivot with 3 cbs

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #62 Sofabloke, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Depends on the oppo / situation, as I said would consider it if we want to have two strikers.

3-4-3 isnt the only system starting with a 3, a double pivot isnt mandatory with a back 3 ...

http://theinsidechannel.com/introducing-3-5-2/

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    3 at the back is this years 4-4-2.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I cannot believe we are using now and discussing the futute use of three at the back given our shitty options and problems with width in the squad.

barroldinho and Gilma1990 repped this.
  15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A back three has been popular for years, if you want width you just need to use the handles more;

[​IMG]

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    At the same time, we have several players who are best used in a free role "from" the wing rather than on it. Then it is a matter of adding good WBs which are easier had than elite WNGs.

17. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    juve had success with a 3-5-2 but that was mostly to offer maximum protection for pirlo. the biggest advantage of this current 5-2-3 for united is that all of our wingers tend to drift inside and that formation allows for that without compromising our shape since the full backs are solely responsible for providing width. pogba can also go up and down on the left inside channel with the 5 defenders providing a security blanket.

i'm not partial to any system per se but i i think that this 5-2-3 can work with the players that we have at the moment.

18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we persist we 3-4-3 then I think we can switch to a two striker 3-5-2 in-game by bring Rash in for a wing-forward and having him push up with Ibra.

Can certainly forsee situations where we could be chasing a game and need two strikers having started 3-4-3.

19. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Speaking of Pirlo, here's an interesting tidbit. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but anyways. I was listening to the game podcast this week and according to gab marcotti.

The year Juve reached the CL final, Pirlo covered more ground stat wise in cl games out of him, Vidal and marchisio. Interesting eh?

He was ranting about the shitness of ground covered stats when taken out of context.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt for one moment that Pirlo's stats in terms of miles he ran was pretty high. His workrate always seemed to be a very underestimated part of his game. And I can believe his stats in that dept might have been higher than Vidal's (since he was deployed more as a 10 that season).
    Still interesting (and surprising) to find out that he covered more ground than Marchesio though.

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The bit about Pirlo covering the most ground is crazy if true. I would've never guessed that since everytime I watched them he stayed pretty central and made the ball do the work with his passing range.

22. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My thoughts too.

He was also using Lukaku as an example. He was giving Shearer shit (think it was him) for a time he slated lukaku as being lazy due to his distance covered stats in relation to his opposition counterpart that game (forget who). Gab made the point it was BS because Everton barely got out of their half that game so he didn't have the opportunity to cover any ground. An example of interpretation of stats. That's all.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's a perfect example of someone using a stat to further boost their narrative even if it's misleading. Saying Lukaku is lazy and backing it up with a "ground covered" stat is nonsense. Even if they were pinned in that particular game, covering a lot of ground isn't Lukaku's game. Nobody expects him to be running channels and chasing players down on defense. He's a target striker that's expect to hold the ball up and be active around the box. Calling him lazy is showing a poor understanding of his game.

barroldinho repped this.
  24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Pirlo thing is probably similar to Carrick - have no stats whatsoever to back this up, but Carrick (like Rio) was often branded as laid back / lazy. Truth is that by the time the camera panned to them they had already moved and were in position to intercept. Similarly Carrick constantly moves to find space and give an angle when we have the ball, he just doesn't need to bust a gut to get there so is mislabelled as low-energy. Suspect the same is true of Pirlo.

25. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, and the contrast of perception is even extreme when you're paired with "all action" perception mf like Vidal and Marchisio.

It's like argument vida was as good a defender as Rio due to the perception he created with his last ditch tackles.