Forgotten great teams

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Excape Goat, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006
    That Barcelona team was never "Evaristo's". Their iconic player was Laszlo Kubala.

2. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok, ok!...

I was just drawing a little the ember to my potato!...

Geeez! :p ...

3. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Forgot to include Beckenbauer's Bayern München as a team superior to 50/60s Real Madrid among those four.

4. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    Here are some of the players from the 1959-62 Barcelona side.

Rare Mexican issued cards:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They include "RE" Cayetano the Paraguayan international and Fernand Goyaverts from Belgium.

Spanish Internationals - Joan Segarra, Enrique Gensana, Pedro Zaballa, and Alfonso Foncha.

Others are goalkeeper Jose Pesudo and Martin Verges.

The legendary Hungarian - Sandor Kocsis needs not intro ... enjoy

5. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    Don't forget Kevin Sheedy and Andy Gray ... SKY Sports pundit.

Yes, Everton were overshadowed by Liverpool that year.

6. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No, you're wrong.

It is true Marseille's chairman Bernard Tapie was suspected in many affairs (corruption and doping) but only one of them was proven to be true: Valenciennes-OM, just 3 days before the C1 final in 1993. Marseille had corrupted the Valenciennes defenders and has asked them to be "gentle" with the forwards in order to not hurt them. It was not a time when the greatest teams had 6 high-skilled strikers as now. Marseille had only Völler and Boksic, Jean-Marc Ferreri as sub, and a French title to fight with PSG.

When the case was revealed, the French authorities reacted too late. OM was already European Champion, but the UEFA forbid them to play the European Supercup, the Intercontinental Cup and to play the UEFA season 93/94. As PSG, 2nd, refused to play at their place*, Monaco, which finished 3rd in 1993, took their place and was eliminated in C1 semi by Milan AC in 1994.

Finally, the trial took place one year later because the case was very confused: Tapie is a master of manipulation. And because OM was a great champion, the first French club to have won a Europe Cup final, it was not easy to attack a national pride.
    The OM 1993 title was dismissed, Tapie sent to prison and forbidden to manage a football club. A few time later, OM was relegated in 2nd division by the DNCG: the club accounts were in the red (Tapie was a great spender, too).

This story could be a brilliant "greek tragedy". The situation was the same in 1990. Tapie would have felt anyway... He was an absolute monarch who had prepared his own Revolution against him.

*PSG was once owned by TV Channel Canal +, which was the French Championship broadcaster too. OM fans were its main customers...

Some videos of the "great OM":
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjx34_retrospectivesaison19901991_sport
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1p6g0_om-retrospectivesaison19911992_sport
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1r9k0_om-psg-31-3-jours-apres-munich_events

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just recently talked with my viejo, tio and godfather who all saw La Maquina play as boys and teams. Two of the mentioned were gallinas while my godfather a diablo rojo still considers La Maquina the greatest team he's ever seen. My viejo says that perhaps the best player on that team during the late 30's to 40's was a keeper named Bossio. He reminded me that river played with only two in the back:eek:

Pedernares is perhaps my viejos players offensively and refers to him as Pele before we had Pele. Clearly in his eyes the best of the combo at Millionarios which he'd seen when visiting Bogota for family.

Pederneras and El Charro's river according to my viejo;)

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wasn't Bossio one of Argentina's keepers at the 1930 World Cup?

Are Independiente referred to as diablos rojos? (Correct me as I don't know how to speak Spanish)

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bossio was the guy at the 1930 WC, he continued to play for river for a bit. He may have actually been gone as La Maquina emerged. Diablos Rojos are indeed the Red Devils. We are the epitome' of a dysfunctional Argentine family. The overwhelming majority of the family support BOCA and the others did so as a rebellion:D It seems my godfather grew up in Avellaneda before moving to into the capitol and stuck with his team until this day.

10. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    This is a very enjoyable reading thread, guys! Keep it up.

11. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For those in my family that actually watch soccer/football (it seems your family is really passionate), most of my family support Inter and the rest go for Juve. Two of my cousins support Lazio though.

12. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When was it that you decided Juve over Inter? My choice was pretty easy as my Tia would sing El Dale Bo to me as a baby just to spite my viejo. They've refused to watch a Super Clasico together for a long long time now. Silly but funny all the same.

13. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Two of my closest friends are from Milano. One is a fan of Inter, the other of Milan. Years ago their father forbid them from watching the derby together because they would literally get in to fist fights during the match. Even when they went to the Meazza for the derby they sat in different parts of the stadium. Now that their father has passed away, they still do not watch the game together. This happens alot in Italy with Juve - Torino, Roma - Lazio etc...and I would imagine in many families in football loving nations. Like you said, silly but funny all the same, Moishe!:D

Thank God Naples only has on big club!

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've always hated Inter. For some reason, I thought they were the biggest team in Italy. I have that habit of not going for the biggest team in a league. Then my dad told me that Juve was going to play River in the Toyota Cup and he is a Juve fan. Since then I've supported Juve and even when I found out that Juve was the most successful club in Italy, it didn't matter to me because I would usually follow whoever my dad supports so I've stuck with them since.

I never knew that there were families who refused to watch derbies together. That is funny yet strange.

As for towns in southern Italy, most of their rivalries are with other towns. Who can forget Palermo vs Catania?

Two of my friends from high school, one a Milan fan, one an Inter supporter, used to be really good friends from a young age but since high school, they haven't been speaking to each other. I really doubt it's to do with the Milan rivalry but I just love how coincidental it is!

15. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's funny because my family has attended their fair share of Super Clasicos and to the best of my viejos knowledge it's been since pre-teens that they've sat together in the same stadium. The only time we can all seem to watch the game together is when the national team is playing. As you know, that is the one unifying factor that trumps club loyalties. I love this game:)

I completely understand supporting the underdog. Too much of the status quo can get boring (except for BOCA of course) which is why I still follow to a lesser degree other teams and leagues. I'm only a hincha of one team but a supporter of the game through and through. As for your friends, it's possible that supporting different teams had a minor impact on their relationship. I've had some fun talks with one of my only "old" friends and we joked about how we had buddies that we felt for sure we'd always be tight and in touch. Life happens and people change leaving us with fond memories. I actually speak with more friends from Argentina than I do from my high school graduating class.

16. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Well Yugoslavia was always a conveyor belt of talented players. Just that they had failed to win a World Cup. That final in 1991 was anti-climax because they were facing a Marseille team that came fresh off whipping Milan in the semi-finals. Tragically this would like be the last time a Yugoslav team would reach anything of a real success.

17. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    True, Marseille was a side that was truly gifted if unless Tapie had not bought his influence to get them to become the side they would become. It just seems that after the bribery scandal, Marseille was not the same side anymore. Its a shame because after seeing what they did to Milan back '91, Hey, would have been nice to see a team with that talent become a force to reckon with.

The final they played in '93 was to me, not a great victory because I would have thought there would have been an open-attacking match among both sides.

L'OM!!!

18. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It has also been a long process for those nations to get back on track. Croatia is doing alright but Serbia still needs a bit more improvement.

In the 90s, there were many stars from the former Yugoslavia so one wonders how good they would have been if they stayed together. A national team with Jarni, Savicevic, Jugovic, Suker and Mijatovic would have been a force.

19. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The team would have had bigger depth, but I was just thinking who, from our '98 squad, would I replace for a player who played for S&MN back then... Maybe one or two players in the starting eleven. Not that their players weren't good enough, but they weren't better either. The combined team probably wouldn't have done better than Croatia in France '98.

20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe Mihajlovic could have found a spot and maybe Mijatovic or Savicevic. Either way, you couldn't drop Suker.

I'd assume that a combined team wouldn't have done as well as Croatia due to egos clashing.

21. Jah Rastafari

Jah Rastafari Red Card

Dec 9, 2007
    the combined team would have done great. all one would need to do is to remind serbian players of what their place in the team is. :D

also with serbs in the team the pressure would have been taken from croats cause serbs would get blamed for all the bad stuff anyway :rolleyes:

22. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1992-1993 Sao Paulo was an extraordinary team, but somehow largely forgotten. The coach of the team was Tele Santana, Brazil’s 1982/1986 coach. The Sao Paulo team reads like a World Cup team: Cafu, Rai, Leonardo, Müller, Zetti, Toninho Cerezzo, Dinho, Doriva. Rogerio Ceni was a young backup.

In 1992 Sao Paulo won the Libertadores Cup then beat Barca and Cyruff’s Dream team in the Intercontinental Cup. In 1993 Sao Paulo again won the Libertadores Cup then beat Milan in the Intercontinantal Cup.

Beating both of those Barca and Milan teams, as well as providing players for multiple world cup-winning teams is absoutely incredible.

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Being a South American club side and a strong side from the last 15 years, they do slip under the radar, especially when most of the football coverage comes from Europe. In fact, most South American teams don't get enough recognition.

24. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you think? How about all of fifa's wpy nominees coming from europe. all 30 of them. even injured for most of the season players like eto'o can get in over south americans who can play a whole season.

25. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When it comes to FIFA's awards, not many people can take them seriously. It's all about the hype for them.