Foreigners can buy a green card?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by C-Rob, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    I wasn't really sure where to put this, so mods please feel free to dump it into a more appropriate thread.

At the end of this article, it states that a new program allows foreigners to invest -- in the US government, I assume -- $500,000 USD in exchange for a green card. I'm not sure how much this might affect foreign acquisitions in MLS right now, but if the program continues, I could see it making a difference in the way some MLS teams stack their rosters in the future.

Or am I reading this wrong?

2. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The money isn't given to the government; it has to be invested in a business to create at least 10 new jobs, and the person doing the investment has to be actively involved in managing the business invested in. Also, the money has to come from outside the US (i.e. an MLS team couldn't front the money for the player). Few players have half a million dollars free, and the ones that do would likely command DP money, making the foreign player slot the least of the issues in signing them.

troutseth and JasonMa repped this.
  3. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it also has to be a business in a high unemployment rural area.

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Very similar to Canada's approach in the Vancouver area aimed specifically at Hong Kong.

scott47a repped this.
  5. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alrighty then looks like this has been settled, sooooo lets say I close this then. @C-Rob if you have a reason for it to stay open let me know but it looks like the answer is a firm no or at best possible but extremely improbable.