Football Manager, Part II

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by TheImposter, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Thanks for the encouragement. I might be popping up here from time to time to get tips; this seems to be a good spot to get them...

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Premier League season wrapped up with my boys, Liverpool, in second. I finished with 80 points. That is a great total but Chelsea had 88.

I beat Barca 3-0 at New Anfield to advance to the final. The Champions League Final will be a rematch of this year's real final, Liverpool vs. AC Milan. After that I've got the FA Cup final against Chelsea. One of those cups will be mine...ohh yes, it will be mine. :)

I've got to start thinking about off-season moves. I'll be flush with cash after $20,000,000 in prize money from the Premier League and whatever the Champions League and FA Cup give me. I'm thinking another forward is needed. I've got two young strikers who are looking to leave because my one striker system doesn't get them a lot of playing time. Cisse is setting all sorts of club records so I can't really justify replacing him. This past season he had 41 total goals and we're not through the last two matches. So I'll look for someone to slot into one of the three starting attacking midfield spots I use.

A good season over all reaching the final of two major cups and coming in second in the league. All this in my first full season as Liverpool boss.

3. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonji why is it New Anfield? Did they add seats? or what?

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I guess they "built" a new stadium. It has capacity of 61,000 so I'm not complaining.

Well, I won the Champions League. 3-0 over AC Milan. Liverpool are champions of Europe! However, I couldn't pull off the double and lost to Chelsea in the FA Cup final. It was 3 days after the Champions League final so I couldn't field a rested first team like they could. Ohh well, maybe next year.

5. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anyone fancy an online game ?

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never done it but I wory about how much time it will take and the organization of it. Have you played one before?

7. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    IMO this game isn't really suited for online play.

But maybe that's just me being jealous of the fun you guys can have over broadband as I sit here with my 28k dial-up connection :( That's what living in a third world country does for ya.

8. isilove007

isilove007 New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    hi,sitati
    cld u do me a favour by linking me to a soccer maneger who wants players.i mean manegers or suoct that can bey players from africa.i play good football, the way it will be played in 2020's. to contact me isilove007@nyc.com.
    thanks .
    i don,t mind if any body reading this cld hook me up . thanks
    isilove007

9. isilove007

isilove007 New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    hi rewinde
    plz sir cld u get a team for a willing and ambituols player.a very good player.all the info u need we be sent with all seriouness and open tranceparence.thanks
    isilove007@nyc.com

10. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina vs. USA in round two of WC 2010.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina are the World Champions!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am Champions League Champion and World Cup Champion in 2010!!!

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina need shootout in World Cup Final deadlock

2-2 going into the penalties against South Africa, the host nation. I lost to them in the group stage and it was a stunner. They took us down 1-0. This one takes penalties.

Great match!

13. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    'Sup. Which country are you in? Do you currently play pro ball? I don't see how anyone can help unless you play for some club, few scouts will fly to a country to watch a player just coz he says he's good :)

14. HalfManHalfAmazing

HalfManHalfAmazing New Member

Sep 13, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonji-

What are the odds of two Coloradans being FM addicts?

I'm managing Tottenham Hotspur after two failed attempts in the French League. I had to restart the game because I couldn't get a SNIFF after flaming out with those Frogs. I'm running a REALLY fun tactic called Passnmove. I thought it was a cheat until I tried it in the French league and now in the EPL. While it produces fun LOOKING soccer, it really only yielded goals in South America. So you may want to try it with your argies.

Right now I'm sitting at 7th place in the EPL, and as they only wanted a midtable position, I appear to be safe from the chopping block, for now. I have some REALLY exciting youngsters (One flaw with the game is that your scouts never miss. I mean these guys cost me $20,000 and they are worth $5,000,000 as soon as they get into my youth system?) in my youth system, I can't wait to see what they develop into.

15. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah and its really easy and doesnt take long at all. I mean the preseason transfer can drag on a bit but you can if you so choose put a timer that activates itself when 2/3 of players are ready.

I used to host all the time but I can't now I can only join. If your interested though I would join your game and maybe you could get 2 maybe 3 others. Best to play with 3 or 4 I find 5 max. Also if you go to preferences and turn off pictures and sounds it will run a hell of a lot faster.

16. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh you have to have broadband no doubt.

17. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well done. Ive won the world cup twice in back 2 back years I won it in Germany with England then I went and won it with Italy in 2010.

Im gonna see if I can't win it with an African, South American and Asian nation and get the set.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've now assembled a team with rediculous attacking depth...

RVN
    Berbatov
    Rooney
    Cassano
    Ronaldo
    D'Allessandro
    Baptista
    Downing
    Van Bommel

and a great bunch of defenders
    Heinze, Evra
    Miguel, Van den Borre
    Rio, Chivu, Kompany, Brown - (really overrated in this game)

All this and im still in 06-07.

19. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I was wondering why I wasn't getting any notifications of new posts -- I thought the thread had died, as unlikely as that seemed. Come back to find that they split it, starting with my "AA-style" confession of addiction. Talk about cold turkey, the funny thing is I actually haven't played in about 2 weeks now, maybe more, and I really haven't had to fight the impulse. Which leads me to my question....

When do you guys end a game? I'm with Bolton in the fall of 2014. Three years ago I finished 3rd in the Prem, highest ever for the club, and made the CL. The next year I finished 12th, everybody was unhappy, but I won the CL! The next year (last year) I made it to the semis of the CL and won the league (with a board expectation to buy players and "rebuild" a team that was the best in Europe the year before). Now, however, I sit about 9th or 10th, with a board expectation to qualify for Europe, and everybody is unhappy. I think the problem is that I lost several players who were determined to move to "bigger" clubs, and had to bring in new guys -- all big signings, 'cause I had plenty of money between my given budget and the proceeds from sales of the guys who wanted to leave. Now those new guys have yet to "gel". I think my tactics might be getting stale, too. Anyway, the upshot is that I now find that I can't really get into it anymore. I think I almost get bored with having so much money and being able to compete at the top level, and I find myself wondering if it's time to start a new game with a new minnow (this game started with K Bocholt VV in the Belgian 3rd division B). I think I also get a little less enthusiastic when the game is so far into the future that all the players are fictional -- I have Ronaldinho as a coach, and Ruud Van Nistelrooy as a physio (just so I can boss him around and give him demeaning jobs!).

So anyway -- what are your criteria for canning a successful game and going back to the beginning?

20. HalfManHalfAmazing

HalfManHalfAmazing New Member

Sep 13, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the game becomes too easy. There was a point for me in the 1.Bundesliga I was winning the league every year no matter what good team I was. I'm currently in my second season at Tottenham and I've gone from finishing 4th to middling in 9th place and feeling like nothing I can do tacticswise is working. Because I'm having success in the CL (I've made it to the 1st knockout rnd), all of my players are VERY over priced. I'm debating if I should sell my players who have all lost confidence in my ability. I have a FLOCK of worthy youths, many worth multiple millions of dollars at age 16 and 17, but they are 5-6 years off.

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone know what the average time is for a player to learn a new position and side? i've had a very young winger that i've been training to be a center forward for well over a year, but he has yet to pick it up. he isn't refusing it either, as the ass-man always says that he's delighted with his training.

22. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    I think one mistake in this game is how clubs so often let their biggest assets run out of contract, allowing for free transfers. I keep assembling squads of stars even with small transfer budgets. They reject a bid worth 20m for a 15m-rated player in the last 6 months of his contract, who's attracted interest from major European clubs. Then 6 months later they loose him on a free. Not too realistic.

23. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitati: How many leagues/divisions are you running? and what club are you?

24. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Some players adapt much more easily than others, but generally, about 12-18 months should be more than enough for any player. Generally, the more new bits you make them learn, the harder it is, but really it shouldn't be any more than 18 months.
    Also, remember that the game assigns abilities in different positions on the same 1-20 scale as other stats - the only ones to show up in the position text are ones above 15, so its quite possible he's got better, just is still far from an expert at it.

25. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Sorry, didn't see this at the time. Currently I'm Man United, with all English leagues from League 2 active, and also the Spanish top flight active. Why, does having leagues active increase the transfer activity of their clubs? Coz clubs like Milan are as active as ever.