Football Manager, Part I

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by The Potter, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Football Manager

I've never signed that many Englishmen, but I have seen other teams deal with this. Woodgate at Madrid always has issues.

2. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

It's a .tac file...it's a FM05 file, saved in the 'tactics' folder. I don't even have the option to load or open a tactic on the menu, I haven't played since 01/02 version and I'm confused.

3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL

well, I guided UCD to promotion in my first season. However, I only had 3K pounds to bring in new players and my wage bill was close to the max so I had little room to improve, but I'm three games into the new season and I've managed a win and two draws. I drew away at Shelbourne and away at Silgo Rovers (who got promoted along with me) and I beat some team that was picked to finish in the top half, so I just hope I can keep it going and get enough points to stay up.

I wish more people would show to my games. My average gate was like 650 in the Irish First Division, most was 1200, and the capacity is 4500 (1500 seated). My first home game was 1100 so hopefully more people show up and I can get more money!!

4. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

where's the best place to buy wsm or fm in the US online? and if i order FM from the UK is there any difference from the WSM available in the US?

5. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

--I'm playing a game as Barcelona and we're 21 games into the league schedule. I'm six points back of Real Madrid in 2nd place. Over 21 games, Madrid have only given up 9 goals. And I beat them 5-0 at home a few games back.

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who did Madrid sign on defence odg?

7. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have WWSM and I got it from Gamestop. As far as I know the only difference between WWSM and FM is the name and packaging. Personally I bought WWSM to show them there is a market for this game in the US.

8. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

--I'm not on the computer that has WSM but, off the top of my head, they still have Roberto Carlos, Helguera, Woodgate. They've also signed Vincent Kompany and Lucio.

9. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HELP! I'm beating Swansea 4-3 with 25 minutes left. I just made some tactical changes but the game won't begin to play again. I can hit play and turn that word into pause and vice versa but nothing's happening. I also can go back into my tactics, Swansea's tactics, etc...
    Any ideas on how to get this thing to start again or do I have to ctrl alt delete and shut down my game?

10. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I went on holiday for a few days and that fixed the problem.
    Ended up winning 6-3, btw.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've also had this happen. I don't think there is any way to recover. It hasn't happened since I installed the last patch.

12. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if this is the same thing i'm thinking of, i've had it happen numerous times. it almost always happens right after a goal is scored. i find that clicking on the replay and letting it play all the way through it gets it going again.

13. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully I'll never have it happen again but, yeah, I made some changes right after a goal and it wouldn't restart the game. But going on Holiday fixed it easy.

14. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is the work around that I've seen SI guys recommend in the past. I haven't ever had this bug but it has come up in the past in the bugs forum and everybody who tried it reported success. I assume that the game was updated to 5.05, right?

15. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester

My bad if this has been mentioned before, but at http://www.sortitoutsi.org you can get great training schemes and tactics for FM2005.

Look for BAS training or the CH training schemes, both are great and with the right coaches your youngsters will be young stars soon.

There's a tactic by one of their mods called the WM, essentially a (nowadays) unorthodox 3-2-2-3 that works wonders both attacking and defending. You can deploy this tactic at even the most hopeless of teams and find some degree of success.

I've used it at the grand old team Manchester United and have won back-to-back trebles!! I'll admit I did it with a rather impressive squad, though:

GK: Stekelenberg, Howard
    Def: Vanden Borre, Ferdinand, Lahm, de Jong, O'Shea
    D/Mid: Baptista, Mascherano, Ponzio, DjembaX2, Flamini
    A/Mid (inc wingers): Rooney, Scholes, Schweinsteiger, Kallstrom, van Persie, C Ronaldo
    Strk: van Nistelrooy, Cavernaghi, Adu, Saha

I must admit it was very, very stressful at first when I tried this tactic and would get draws against Villa, Fulham etc, and each time I returned to the sortitoutsi forums I found new reports of guys whipping Chelsea 15-0 with this formation, but with some adjustment it will be perfect for you.

The most important thing is that your defencive midfielders are up to scratch, with high tackling and physical attributes. Your central attacking midfielders also need some degree of defencive ability because they have to track back a lot. You then need someone suitable for the lone striker position, which means great physical attributes as well as the normal technical attributes for a striker.

I'm now using it at Leeds. With a transfer budget of 150k, it's quite tricky to get them right back into the EPL, but with the right signings (vanden Borre, Adu and Pennant on loan so far), I think I'll do it.

Sortitoutsi.org -> look for a thread called "the WM Project". Try it.

16. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm glad someone has finally found training and tactics to make ManU win a few games in FM. :rolleyes:

I'll never understand people who download other's training and tactics. Then you use these on a team with players good enough to make the game easy even without cheating? Why even bother playing? I know its your time and money but I just can't understand how this is fun for anyone. It makes taking candy from a baby seem tough. How did you get Adu on loan at Leeds? Are you just continuing your ManU game because he is too young at the start? Please don't tell me you are playing both teams and loaned Adu to yourself.

Oh well, back to getting my team (currently playing as Wolves who I just got promoted to the EPL)into europe with my own training, tactics, and without cheating. Crazy concept, eh?

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no, just 5.0.3, so it may be irrelevant now.

18. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA

I'll never understand people who seem to take offense about how others play the game. Some people like to manage every detail of the game while others rather coast and use FM Scout. Some just want to play a casual game with Real Madrid winning everything, some enjoy toiling in the Conference North tweaking every little detail. Why whine about what is or isn't cheating when it's just the player perogative to get the enjoyment out of the game however they like? It's not as if you are competing against them and it effects your game.

Thanks for the info, sitati_kituyi. The site is actually http://www.sortitoutsi.net though. I'll check out those tactics and training.

19. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester

:rolleyes:

I didn't force you to read it, mate, I was just pointing out that there's some nice tactics and training there for those who want to check it out.

20. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I could care less how the other poster or anyone else plays FM. As I said in my post (you must have missed this part :rolleyes: )it is their time and money so they can play how ever they want. I just honestly don't understand the enjoyment one could get from using others ideas to "win" at a game. It isn't like winning with ManU is particularly tough. I just think some people give up at the first set back and never give themselves a chance to play the game using their own abilities before resorting to cheating.

Don't get so defensive. If you want to use others' tactics and training and cheat as much as possible, go for it. It just strikes me as strange. Different strokes and all that...

21. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair enough and everything I said to the other guy goes for you as well. Enjoy your game however you want to play it.

Can I ask a question though just to satisfy my curiosity and not as a dig? Did you try playing FM without cheating first? I'm just curious of why and when you decided to use the downloadable tactics and training.

22. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think its cheating. I like playing as a big club and trying to perform feats of managerial wizardry, by winning everything possible.

23. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. It's a game. People paid for it, they can enjoy it however they want.

Besides, people adopt tactics all the time in real sports. They even alter their attributes too :eek:
    ;)

24. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester

I've played FM many times without 'cheating'. As you suggested in the first post, it's easy to do well with Man United on your own. I win the league most times when I play at such clubs, but I'll admit I'm not very good at improving the fortunes of financially stricken clubs. I went to sortitoutsi.net for info about patches, and stumbled across the forum which was loaded with tactics and training schemes.

I tried them and have played 2 games (as in two save files, not two matches) with them, and they worked out well. That's about it. It would be boring if I decided to start every game with the same tactic, or always buy the same players. It's not what I do.

And no, I wasn't playing as 2 managers when I had Adu at Leeds.

Additionally, let me challenge you to download the tactic and see if you have *instant* success with it. You have to develop your team to fit the tactic, and develop the tactic to suit your players, and when you find that middle ground you'll see the results. You don't picture Crouch & co playing patient build-up football, do you? No, route 1 is effective for them. And you don't picture Barcelona hoofing the ball up to the giant Guily and Eto'o? No, creative passing build-up with the use of a (brilliant) playmaker is their game. It's more of a challenge than you'd think.

If you're looking for cheating, there's a download at the same site for a tactic file that's been edited to unrealistically improve the players' attributes.

25. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That I didn't know. But that to me would steal all the fun out of the game. In CM4, I moved from somewhat big club (Rangers) to MLS club(DC United) to Mid-table EPL club(Man City) to Man Utd. And I became successful at Man Utd. I prefer to go from club to club amassing successes everywhere (almost) I go. That's fun to me. Anyway.