Focus Group

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Earthshaker, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first fan/FO focus group is supposed to be meeting tomorrow. Perhaps any BS'ers in attendance could report back here on what was talked about. (Hopefully, they aren't making you sign a NDA.)

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think on-field results are part of the discussion, unless it is raised in the "open forum" portion of the program. Here's my understanding of the agenda for the focus groups:

"Part 1. Season Ticket Holder Benefits and Customer Service
    1. Season Ticket Holder Ticket Package/Benefits
    2. STH Events
    3. Communication

"Part 2. Game Day Experience
    4. Seating
    5. Pre-game/Halftime Activities
    6. Supporters groups

"Part 3. Marketing Feedback
    7. Quakes Mrketing [sic]
    8. Quakes Awareness and Interest
    9. Social Media

"Part 4. Corporate Feedback
    10. Promotional Giveaways
    11. On-Field Contests

"Part 4 [sic]. Open Forum
    12. Additional Questions"

So, your "additional question" might be: why can't we have more win pins?

Mind you, someone else will have to ask, since I'm not invited to participate.

3. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious how the focus group went?

4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I asked and I think five of the seven attendees (four for certain) indicated they are on BigSoccer, though I don't know how often.

The EQ staff and the group felt it was a useful and constructive session.

It seemed to me that most of the people agreed with most of the things that were said in the group.

The actual agenda was fairly specifically focused and mostly on personal experiences and anecdotes and opinions on those agenda issues, though a few times discussion did go to other items, some related some not.

My own comments were pretty much the same as I have posted on BS in various threads, though some were made with a little more emphasis.

There was no NDA of any kind, but I wouldn't choose to speak about anyone else's specific comments, that is up to them. It was a thoughtful and articulate group of STH, and apart from a desire to keep the meeting moving and on schedule, the EQ moderators sincerely wanted honest and complete input and didn't try to stifle any opinions.

It was scheduled for 80 minutes but we extended it to two hours (and probably could have gone more). By the time the Open Forum (the "Wrap Up"part of the agenda) was reached only 5 minutes remained.

I do encourage BS posters to email their opinions on any issues they are concerned with to the FO.

5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks for the account, Ned.

I talked to my rep yesterday about other stuff, and he mentioned something to the effect that the focus groups had shown that fans were oblivious to many of the positive aspects of the game day experience.

The example he gave was that a focus group member complained that the team no longer kicked autographed balls into the stands. I said, um, yes, I noticed that too. There seem to be about one or two balls flying into the stands but not balls from the whole team. He was so shocked that I added that it must be that I was usually distracted by BigSoccer mod responsibilities, and maybe the announcer didn't make as big a deal out of it as Spartacus used to do.

So now my rep thinks I'm clueless.

I asked my family members if they noticed the balls, and they had the same impression I did. A couple of players shoot them into the stands but that's it. Strange, huh?

6. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If the message received by the FO was that fans are oblivious to the positive things of a game day experience, then that is very troubling.

I thought the business motto was "The customer is always right". Even if the customer is a moron, you need to cater to him to get his money so you stay in business.

It means that what the FO ASSUMES are "positive" obviously pale in comparison to other factors which outweigh the soccer balls. If the FO is saying the fans "should" not be oblivious then they are not understanding that they need to do something BETTER than that so fans will NOT be oblivious. If they don't, they will lose those fans and others.

Or am I misunderstanding your post?

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think that's the gist of it.

Based on what he said (not about the focus group specifically, just connecting dots given the conversational flow) there were a number of focus group complaints about the facility and about player accessibility. He was lauding the wonders of SCU -- it is undoubtedly a beautiful campus in a safe neighborhood -- and I didn't want to get into it with him. He's indicated that he's not directly involved in the focus groups, so I gather this is what the facilitators are mentioning.

I appreciate that the FO staff can feel frustrated that there's nothing they can do about the facility. And there also seems to be a mindset that San Jose fans are a certain way (cool, detached), and are just not going to show the enthusiasm that you might see in other MLS venues. I don't agree.

Just curious, Ned, whether the facilitators were professionals or were FO staff?

8. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, did anyone mention to the FO that it is about time the Shaker squad tossed shirts from above, rather than below, where they only manage to reach the first few rows? Not that I care about getting a t-shirt, but, it is kind of a running joke in my section of the stands about how they "throw like girls".

9. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I resemble this remark.

10. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you touch on something that I've both mentioned and felt for a long time. Anytime I've tried talking with anyone from the FO I get the sense that they are trying to tell me it is better than what it is. Instead of trying to convince me that I'm wrong, and set me on my way, listen and to the customer and make the necessary changes. By just hearing the complaint, and glossing over it by telling you that everything is fine you are essentially telling the person that their thoughts or feelings aren't valid, which also causes a disconnect.

This type of attitude has been around this franchise for many years...dating back to the Kraft days. There seems to be this elitist attitude from the FO like they know better, and don't necessarily want to hear the complaints...and then hiding behind the "there is nothing we can do" excuse.

A solid organization, and not just professional sports, pulls people into that "inner circle" by making them feel their ideas and suggestions are worthwhile, and then acting upon them if possible.

And...regarding the balls being kicked in the stands. I've seen it a couple of times. But, most of the players just go towards the bench area and toss the balls up around there so they don't have to trot all the way across the field. A couple of them will toss them up on the other side, but most of the team just heads towards the bench area.

11. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes.

12. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Four FO staff in the room with seven STH. (I think there was to be another STH who couldn't make it but I'm not positive).

Dave Kaval was to be there but unfortunately was called away to a different meeting beforehand on Tuesday. (I had brought 8 pages of notes, so I was sorry he couldn't make it).

I don't know what the meeting was, but I think later that day I read Robert Jonas on Centerline saying that FY was not at practice due to attending a State of the Franchise meeting in San Francisco (?) with ownership. If that was where Kaval was I guess I can forgive him for not meeting with us ;^)

13. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's worse than that.

They'll think you are a whiner. Somebody they just can't make happy. Unless you're spending a lot of money, they probably won't try.

14. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No...spending lots of money doesn't make it any better. At least that wasn't my experience.