Flat Back 4: vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'Coach' started by schmuckatelli, May 12, 2003.

1. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Recently the U-14 Boys Select team I coach transitioned to a flat back four, employing high pressure (pressure-cover-support-support) in a zonal approach. We faced a very organized team on Sunday who gave us fits by dropping the ball back, then booming over the top. They were also effective when they switched fields. Any comments? Ideas for improvement?

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have any speed at the back? I try to keep one of my fastest players at center back which pretty much kills off the threat of teams trying to go long on us (I always have 1 player back who will get there first). I don't play a flat 4 though...

3. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Usually I have one or sometimes two in the back with killer speed.

4. gorilla

gorilla New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    if you're getting beaten over the top you have to consider conceding more of the field and dropping your flat four deeper. your high pressure tactic isn't working if your opponents can knock accurate services that your back four can't deal with.

5. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    This is how you can beat a good team playing a good zone.

One way is look to through pass when the ball is in the center of the field just before you the dribbler gets into your offensive half of the field.

Also once you get their backs to retreat you can work the ball underneath that retreat and get shots off while they are retreating.

Also you can have a wing mid can make an on the ground cross or an aired cross leading all those retreating backs so now the ball is crossed behind them. Do that anytime from the beginning of your offensive half to your area. Do it within that distance so now even one attacker can beat the four zone backs because your lone attacker can see the ball all the way, and the backs can't, they are back doored by the ball.

Also flank player beats a wing back. So a center back has to move to the flank to cover. After the flank player beat the wing back he moves immediately inside the field which left 2 backs in the middle if you play 4 back zone. While your doing that your central striker moves to the flank you left to further clear space, and hopefully will pull another back out of position. The the flank dribbler can do a lot of things to beat whats left of that zone. Depends how fast your guys can do it.
    --------------------------------------------------

Now on your zone and your opponent

If you have no depth meaning you did not stagger your players you can beat your zone on long balls if the opponent has some real speed and if conditions are right like wind blowing out over the top especially

You are going to need a very actice keeper that does more then cover his goal and does more then cover his area. You need a sweeper keeper.

If your backs play deep and the opponent is not a good team and is just sending long balls over the top when they get the ball over and over. Then you could just play your backs deeper so they can't do that anymore especially if the wind is blowing out over your backs. So now on the first pass the ball is still in front of your backs.

If the attacking team is smart they will just 2 pass and beat your zone. First pass underneath your backs then the next over the top. But they have to go over the flank or your keeper will get it.

Best thing to do is have your backs staggarded so the chances are the staggared support will beat their attacking speed to the ball when they over one of your backs.

If you have a windy day and the wind is blowing with your backs which would be blowing from your defensive goal and up field then compress your defense because it will be hard for them to beat you on a first time long pass. Remember have your backs staggarded so closest support to where the pass is made can beat their attacker to the ball.

Richie

6. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Great stuff, coaches. Thanks for all your ideas.

7. balza gasketti

balza gasketti New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    hull ga
    when your opponent drops the ball back, your back 4 need to come with it, leaving the eager bad guys off-side. it sounds like some basic off-side tactics are in order for your team. kids being beaten by deep balls tend to react by drifting deeper, but the strength of a flat 4 is in playing up, maintaining shape and trapping. check out the book "coaching the 4-4-2."

8. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Thanks for the input. Can you tell me the author of the book you're suggesting? I located at least 4-5 books under that same title. Thanks!

9. balza gasketti

balza gasketti New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    hull ga
    let me say, i admire all who teach something more than kick and run soccer. your efforts will be rewarded, hopefully in your current season. the book is available from eurosport and surely elsewhere. it's written by floriano marziali and vincenzo mora. cheers.

10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carefull with that offside trap play... you're putting a lot of trust in Referees that are, on average, much less experienced with refing than your boys are playing.

Professional refs have a hard time with the offside call... can't expect an U14 Assisant Ref to get it.

I like the speed in the middle... at least one. Instead of playing a fully flat back line... teach the fastest back to cheat when needed.

Second, defense starts with the attackers... when the balls were beeing dropped back by the opponent, were the midfield/attackers rushing to counter?

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true dat - do you even get AR's in your games, or is it parents volunteering to run the sidelines?

12. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Things are looking up. We played a team Sunday that played kick and run, and they had very fast forwards. I asked our defenders to drop off maybe 10 yards, give themselves a little breathing room. That way they'd stand a better chance of keeping the play in front of them, and they wouldn't put themselves under the pressure of defending while facing their own goal.

Worked beautifully. The opponent almost never threatened us after the defense adjusted. Late in the match, they threw a lot of numbers in the attack, but still did not get a goal.