Flash 2014-2015 Off Season

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Aug 31, 2014.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I believe the interview with Cuellar was between the end of the season and the Mexican friendlies if that helps.

CoachJon repped this.
  2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to you both!

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one bites the dust. Kels has been traded to the Spirit in exchange for Chantel Jones.

This move makes me think we're less likely to get AD back for 2015.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maybe Naimo is sold on Rowland.

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is, then I question his judgment. AD is far superior to Rowland.

6. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't think that's it. 1st, Rowland never played for the Blues. 2nd, Why trade for Jones to be backup when Wys was already backup? Unless you think Jones will be the starter and Rowland the backup? Either way, I think it's reading too much in to it to assume this move means they are drafting Rowland.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont get the trade from the Flash side to begin with. If they believe AD is going to be ready for the season then why make a deal at all? As I recall Trajonar played like 5 minutes for the Flash in 2013. If they dont believe Franch will start the season the Jones is more experienced as a starter but at some point AD will make her disappear. My thought on Rowland was if u have Jones and AD in the wings u can take a flyer on Rowland and trade or loan the one u like the least when AD returns. If u keep Wys it would be tough to go into the season with Wys and Rowland. If Wys was going to be the starter they needed an experience backup behind her not a rookie.

On the other side of the equation, Parson said he's been trying to get Wys so maybe it was the Spirit who came asking

OK I just re-read that and confused myself...simple version. If u had any interest in Rowland or another college GK it would be tough to pair her with Wys but none of it really makes sense if AD will be ready to start the season.

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A brief intermission from the player exodus: early this morning, Sydney FC faced off against Adelaide United in the W-League and came away on the proper end of a 5-0 thumping. And guess who was on the scoresheet for them? Yep, Jas got herself yet another goal for the Sky Blues. She has been on an absolute tear for Sydney. Fingers crossed she keeps her form for us.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ochs was pretty darn good for Canberra last year, didn't really translate. Remember that the W-League, fun as it is, is still a step down from NWSL.

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

BlueCrimson repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sorry... Just trying to make sure you don't get your hopes up like us Spirit fans did! (At least before the expansion draft. And it's not like Dash fans got a huge boost from her either...)

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Ochs at any point in Canberra's season responsible for nearly all their scoring? Until this last game, Jas has been carrying Sydney's offense on her back. They only had 10 goals, and 7 of those were from Jas.

And I want to point out that Jas had a fine season with somewhat limited minutes. Every time she was on the pitch, she made things happen. With a large chunk of last season's offense unlikely to return, we need her in good form.

CoachJon repped this.
  13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC Ochs played on the back line for Houston and was third on the team in total minutes played; seems like a pretty good translation from being forward in Canberra to me.
    Your apology and concern for our emotional welfare are graciously accepted.:D I believe the reasons that hopes of the Spirit fans were dashed in 2013 had a whole lot more to do with things other than Ochs' performance.

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the fact that their first coach was a complete moron who was in way over his head. Look at the players who have left the Spirit and done much better in a different environment. Compare Jas' performance in 2013 to 2014. It's lightyears apart.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's a good point - in Canberra last season, it was really a strike partnership that was clicking between Ochs and Heyman. 13 goals between them, evenly split as you could get and often assisting each other.

My point was that, despite her good showing in Canberra, she couldn't make it on HOU's front line. So yes, her lack of scoring was probably because she was translated away from forward. So then you have to think of WHY she was translated away from forward.

The 2013 Spirit aren't a part of the discussion - we're talking about going from a good W-League performance into a good NWSL performance, and she didn't play in Oz before the 2013 NWSL season.

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Save for Canberra's recent win over Sydney, their offense hasn't been clicking as well this season.

I don't want to get too OT discussing the Dash here, but a big reason for Ochs going to the backline was the lack of quality defenders Houston had while waiting for Engen and Klingenberg. They had Washington back there for the first few matches, then she got shipped out to Boston, so Waldrum didn't have much of a choice. That and the fact that he had had the idea of transitioning her to outside back during his time as the U-23 coach.

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The link for the interview kernal_thai quoted is below. Brooks said "To be honest, I was very surprised to be informed that I was traded. I really love Portland, the club, my teammates, and the fans, so I am sad that I will not be going back to that environment."

http://beatsandrhymesfc.com/amber-b...-little-carolina-kickback-for-u-s-midfielder/

This is not consistent with Lines' saying he wanted players would WANTED to be in Western New York; but I guess it makes sense you can't talk to players ahead of time for business reasons.

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is for you, CJ- Jas in action down under. While this was a rare game where she didn't score, there were quite a few chances where she could have gotten at least one on another day. With a little bonus of a tough as nails keeper and perhaps the softest sending off I've seen in a long time.

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A whole game to watch! Thx muchly.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. tkpeterson12

tkpeterson12 Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The list of returning Flash players to have seen minutes last year has dwindled to:
    Edmonds, Losada, Palmer, Taylor, Spencer, Wambach

23. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am not sure if Losada will return. They hold the rights, but I'm thinking she just won't be back.

24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports out of Barcelona are saying that Vicky will be back for 2015.

25. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    They need the #2 pick too, in order to do that. As it stands, SBFC will get one of Dahlkemper, Killion, or Mewis. WNY will probably draft the other 2.