Rumor: FJ under evaluation as possible Alves replacement @ Barca

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by morrissey, Feb 23, 2015.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What is FJ at for this year? 8 or 9 starts? It seems like he's in favor right now - be great if he ran out the season as the #1.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Getting regular playing time at Barca seems like a long shot. Champions league playing time at B.M. beckons.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nine out of 27. Still not getting the five-star rating from me, though (I consider him a B player: not a regular starter yet). He needs five starts in a row to get that.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    not really. I have a spanish friend in the usa who lives and breaths Barca. He has been sending me spanish links to FJ and Barca. There is no question that he is under serious consideration as a starting replacement for Alves.

SamsArmySam repped this.
  5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It wasn't really 22 of 38, since he moved on deadline day. He missed their first 3 games. 22/35. That's 62%. Now factor in that a few of the games he didn't start were due to an injury.

He appeared in 29 of 35 games overall that he was eligible for in the league. He was their 3rd leading scorer overall, behind Bale and Defoe, with 12 goals and 7 assists.

futbal4eva repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yep, Deuce was a regular starter w/the Spuds. Fabian is not w/M'gladbach, yet.

futbal4eva repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being under "serious consideration" as a potential replacement for a player who may or may not leave at one of the most competitive and deep clubs in the world is a far cry from the near assured playing time he will receive at B.M.

Mr Martin and Suyuntuy repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    M'gladbach is playing some pretty good soccer too. Not Barcelona, but not far behind.

9. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Alves is leaving/not being invited to stay. And while Barca is deep - is it deep in Alves' position?

I honestly don't think the FJ to Barca is as far-fetched as some think. FJ's style of play and skills match up pretty well with what Barca looks for at left back: good enough defense and ability to get forward and assist in attack/switching sides of play. So while FJ may not be an automatic starter day 1, I don't see him embarrassing himself threading passes to that fearsome front line.

Especially because of Barca's financial penalties, FJ as a relatively cheap buy could make sense to them - to at least consider.

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just nuts. FJ will be lucky to stick at BM's level. While his style fits Barcelona, his skill level just isn't there. Please.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I guess you know more than Barca scouts. FJ is very skillful.

13. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I
    I really don't understand how everyone sees FJ as a particularly technical player. He doesn't have a consistent first touch and his final ball ability is pretty underwhelming. He doesn't cross well and his shooting is far below average. He might be able to think with the Catalonians but his skill would be under the team standard.

What he has is elite pace and elite vision. He's essentially a poor man's Donovan with more bite.

StrikerX4 repped this.
  14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I have seen him in person and his touch and skill are fantastic. You sure you aren't thinking of chandler?

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Chandler is quite good with his club. Today he was right up there with Fabian in the "mad skillz" department.

El Chuma repped this.
  16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Barca signs him and he gets some playing time, I will admit I am wrong. My opinion is that it's BS and FJ has no chance of playing at Barca.

COMtnGuy and El Chuma repped this.
  17. gaucho16

gaucho16 Member

Jul 2, 2012

Barca= Veronica Vaughn
    USMNT Fans= Chris Farley
    Fabian= Farley's "friend"

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    one difference-this is all over the Spanish press. NOt US press, not Big Soccer, but the "respectable" spanish sports press (as resectable as sports press is ;-) )

Gacm32 repped this.
  19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    just passing reports. Personally, I would prefer he stay at BM.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Same. He's likely to become an essential part in Gladbach. Also, he lacks some of the flair the Spanish media loves in players. He'd be like Özil, as soon as he has a couple of bad games, the Spanish press and public will bury him as useless.

In Spain they have a very low opinion of Northern European players (and Yanks, by extension), as physical guys with limited understanding of the game. Of course Germans are above that, but not by much. There is much more love for Italians, Portuguese, French or South American types (Mexicans are also usually above derision).

Guys like Bale and Kroos are held to a different standard (sort of like our Yanks abroad in England): the moment they stop producing at the top level, everybody starts saying they are donkeys. Fabian over there wouldn't last in their good graces for long. Because he's barely good enough to be considered, in the first place, for a team like Barcelona. And, second, because he's effective but has very little extra flair.

The Spanish pay their money to see fun moves too.

21. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Little extra flair? FJ is a skilled baller. He chooses to make it count rather than do an extra step-over. His team is undeafeted when he starts. Dani Alves is still looking the other way when FJ schooled him a few years back in D.C.

Bruce S and Gacm32 repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yep, that's what I mean by effective. FJ is that, without bells and whistles: a good player (with his club).

23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's crazy how Barca keeps getting tied to player transfers when they litterally our out of recourse on at 2 window transfer ban.

freisland repped this.
  24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I commented on the veracity and judgment of those reports. We'll see.

25. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Alves is past it and was a total clown sometimes, but are you really comparing FJ's skill to Alves's skill? FJ isn't even close.