Five Thoughts - Cedar Rapids Rampage at Baltimore Blast

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Buddy98, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    1. I was on edge the entire game. If you looked at just the box score without watching the game, you might be thinking, The Blast had an 8-5 lead at one point. You weren't thinking that they were going to coast to a victory. No, I was not. Cedar Rapids played the Blast very well,and I might felt that they were capable of making things interesting. They did as they got 2 late game goals and had a lot of pressure on the Blast in the last minute The vibe I got from many other fans is that they felt the game was far from over with a three goal lead. The quality of the Rampage made this win all the more sweeter.

2. The goalkeeper play was impressive. With the smaller field at Secu Arena, goalkeepers are going to have to be graded on a curve. William Vanzela of the Blast and Brett Petricek made some impressive saves. I sit directly behind one of the goals (well, really, the only goal fans can sit directly behind), and it was a joy to watch both goalies in action.

3. Gordy Gurson is a whiner. It felt like every time there was a stoppage for a Cedar Rapids foul, Gurson was there, whining to the officials with dramatic body language if he was on the field. I rolled my eyes a lot with him. I do not begrudge Cedar Rapids over Gurson; every team has their unofficial whiner. Vanzela earns that title for the Blast.

4.The Blast adapted well so far. At the Royal Farms Arena, the Blast were a plodding team. Generally, their style was to play keep away, look for a few opportunities and call it a night. That sort of style is not going to work for 60 minutes on the smaller SECU Arena field, and the Blast seem to have realized that given the first game there.

5. I like the new digs. The SECU Arena is a very nice arena. Of course, just about anywhere is a palace when compared to the Royal Farms Arena. My seat behind the goal is even better than the one I had at Royal Farms. It is even closer to the goal. I felt like I was in the goal. Parking was easy to do, and leaving was easy. The only drawback to the Arena was the long, freezing walk from the parking lot, nothing though that would hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Blastnut2, powerplay13 and SteveCo repped this.
  2. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #2 powerplay13, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    1. Was also at the game and was really impressed with the play of the Rampage. They kept the game close the entire game and came very close to winning. They did the same thing in Florida last night, which was as equally impressive(Go watch the replay).The Rampage have a number of solid players and I can definitely see them in the playoffs.
    2.Agreed, the play of the GKs was outstanding. This smaller field, allowed non stop action, which kept both keepers plenty busy. Plus, also due to the field size, you never know when a keeper may take a shot.
    3.Gurson was very vocal the entire game and was involved in many fouls. He is one CR's top players, plays with intensity, and is a true finisher. He spent a good amount of time on the floor, due to flops and by some fouls by the Blast. The Blast definitely had him marked all game.
    4. Yeah with this smaller field teams are going to have a hard time playing keep away. The pace of the game is faster and the action seemed more non-stop. The Blast adapted well to the field size but are going to have to get use to the lower glass next to the goals.
    5. Thought the SECU Arena was much better than ROFO. It is definitely a more loud and intimate. Which is what they intended. Also the entire building is newer and much more clean. You are closer to the action and the game is even more fast paced. Didn't think I would like the smaller field at first, but now I like it better. The more advanced scoreboard and ribbon board around the arena, made for a much improved game atmosphere. I sat on the lower side and I was seconds away from the bathroom and concessions. You could actually stand pretty much anywhere on the concourse and watch the game. They also had a nice souvenir shop. Thought the audio could be a bit better as sometimes the sound was not clear. This is an arena problem though and not sure if it could be fixed. Would of liked to seen some revolving lights and/or siren after each Blast goal too. The parking was a little walk, but not horrible. Had a great time, glad I purchased a ticket plan, and looking forward to the next game.

Blastnut2 and Buddy98 repped this.
  3. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    The picture and the arena looked great on the big, living room TV. Though they had a several second delay in the audio which was obnoxious. Hopefully they rectify that by next broadcast. Gurson is a guy you hate when he's not on your team. My stepson could not stand him with St Louis. He certainly goes to the turf easily looking for the call, and he gripes a lot, but he also does draw a lot of fouls. Like many great strikers, he plays with a chip on his shoulder. Blast look good. I think they and the Wave are clearly the best two teams.

Blastnut2, Buddy98 and powerplay13 repped this.
  4. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I'm going to tomorrow's game, glad you all seemed to enjoy it. I watched a few minutes on Youtube after the fact, and it seemed to small? I guess experiencing it in person is best.