Fisher out protests

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by USA Saint, Mar 31, 2019.

1. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    To add to this: SI cites a source that the A's offered Murray 14 million dollars guaranteed in addition to the signing bonus they already paid when they drafted him. Again, for a guy who may never even make it to the majors even if the NFL wasn't an option. He could spend half offthat $14 million on the Quakes and get a proven international caliber number 10

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  3. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  4. USA Saint

USA Saint Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    England
    Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :):):)

don gagliardi repped this.
  5. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    You say it’s laughable but if we go through the summer window without significant roster changes the joke is on us and Fisher is the one laughing. Laughing at us as we complain amongst ourselves.

Beerking, bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    not sure if this has been posted any where yet and i've been no fan of our FO but this may be relevant for us during the summer transfer window;

https://www.athleticsnation.com/201...as-sign-khris-davis-contract-extension-khrush

if the a's are going away from moneyball and are willing to pay $16.75M a season to this guy what if we got the same for the quakes!?!

3 DP's @ a shade over $5M per season would make a huge difference to our roster ;)

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not the 5mil per that would be the problem, it would be fitting the extra 450k hit to the cap that would need to be addressed.

DotMPP repped this.
  8. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is from an article in the Athletic about the Rapids firing of Hudson. Sounds familiar!

The bad news? The Rapids problems extend well beyond Hudson, Smith, the first-team roster or anyone on the club’s staff. Colorado’s biggest issue is their owner, Stan Kroenke. Broadly characterized by high-ranking sources around the league as the worst owner in MLS, Kroenke, who also owns English Premier League giants Arsenal and the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams, is absurdly absent from the Rapids organization.

Owners aren’t required to be active participants in the clubs they invest in, of course. The sports world is littered with stories of owners who actually hurt their teams with their overbearing nature. It can often be preferable for them to take a more hands-off approach. Kroenke’s lack of involvement goes well beyond any norm, however.

Sources said Kroenke has rarely been seen at MLS meetings since he bought the Rapids in 2004. A separate source said he couldn’t even be bothered to attend the MLS All-Star Game hosted by Colorado in 2015. Kroenke’s son Josh, an alternate governor of the Rapids and the president of two of the Kroenke Sports and Entertainment Group’s other teams, the NBA’s Denver Nuggets and the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche, takes a slightly more active role, but sources said he’s not very close to the organization’s day-to-day operations.

Considering that level of apathy, it’s no surprise that KSE doesn’t invest much in the Rapids. Colorado ranked in the middle of the league in payroll in 2018, but their lack of spending on transfer fees puts them toward the bottom of MLS in overall player spending. They still have a barebones scouting operation compared to most of the league; they employ two full-time scouts, in line with many teams, but lack the network of freelance scouts used by most clubs. Sources said the business side of the organization has long been understaffed, as well. The club don’t even have a head of public relations. Communications Manager Luis Aguilar has been the lone employee in the department since their former senior director of communications left the club to join USL last September. Every other team in MLS has at least two full-time PR staffers. The vast majority have three or more.

The club don’t even do much to leverage what could be a fruitful connection with Arsenal. The New York Red Bulls and New York City FC both get far more out of their relationships with the European clubs within their respective parent organizations than the Rapids do with the Gunners. Even FC Dallas has had a more productive relationship with German giants Bayern Munich, and they’ve only been partners for 14 months and don’t share a common owner.

In a statement provided to The Athletic, a KSE spokesperson pushed back against this characterization of Kroenke’s ownership.

“Stan and Josh Kroenke are actively involved in the club and all major decisions,” the statement read. “Josh is the club’s alternate governor and was instrumental in the club’s signing of Tim Howard. The Kroenkes were one of the first ownership groups to build a soccer specific stadium in MLS and continue to champion youth development both here in the U.S. and abroad while investing in the club and MLS player acquisition programs. Under their ownership the Rapids won MLS Cup in 2010.”

The lack of investment in the first team, in the technical department and in the front office has led to major issues on and off the field in Colorado. They’ve finished in the bottom-three of MLS in four of the last five seasons. They’ve finished bottom-three in attendance in all five of those seasons. Their stadium is well outside of downtown Denver in suburban Commerce City and is difficult to reach via public transportation. The region is growing quickly, but the Rapids are irrelevant in their own market.

Colorado could turn things around on the field. MLS is structured so that even the lowest spending teams can compete if they hit on their biggest signings. The Rapids will have the budget space to completely overhaul their team this winter. But unless Kroenke fundamentally changes how he runs the club, it’ll be incredibly difficult for them to be a consistent contender or to make even a little bit of a dent in a crowded Denver sports market.

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  9. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wonder where Fisher would rank in a poll of MLS insiders for the crown of "worst owner".

LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So as long as the Quakes keep playing and winning as they have been for the last month, will the “Fisher Out protests” go silent?

11. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. As far as I am concerned, the winning starts when the Fisher Out protest started. As long as the protest is alive, Quakes are undefeated.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is a very true statement! March seems just like yesterday!

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it’s not just about the current win and loss record, it’s about overall commitment to winning year after year. We still don’t see any evidence that Fissure is willing the spend the necessary cash to compete in this league. We’re on a good run now, but will it last? Is it sustainable? Will we sign a difference maker or two? The tarot cards say no.

Go Quakes!!
    Go Quakesfans!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can't argue with science. :)

DotMPP, TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least notice that I phrased it as a prediction, rather than an assertion of fact!

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You have a bright future as a pollster. :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How about the Google , Ebay , Splunk, Quakes?

Sounds like something I ate an hour ago! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

18. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    So we are playing better, generating points and positive news and we still don't have a Stadium or Jersey sponsor. I assume we must be holding out for an unrealistic amount of money rather than lack of interest. Is this Fisher's call?

19. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not on reddit, so someone update me. Are we protesting this Saturday?
    Am I getting my 2 scarves?
    Inquirying minds want to know! :)

don gagliardi repped this.
  20. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this was posted in other threads, but what Grant Wahl says about the Krafts & NE Revolution here is also applicable to the SJ Earthquakes.

Quakes05 and bsman repped this.
  21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a coincidence! quakes are handing out 5,000 scarves on Sat.

22. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  23. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I am interested to see if Fisher backs Almeyda. It has clearly been a shrewd investment. Now he needs to show the coach he gets rewarded for it. I can tell him that, as STHs and with friends who are STHs who had pretty much decided to not renew after this season, the new life to the team is awesome and it would be very deflating to not get some reinforcements.

24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Let's face it, Fisher rolled the dice on Almeyda when he plunked down a chunk of change for him, he was hoping for a miracle without splashing around a ton of cash for top shelf players.

25. USA Saint

USA Saint Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    England
    Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry, I forgot to post on here. The second batch of scarves arrived yesterday. Unfortunately I couldn't make today's game, but I will be distributing scarves at the next one most likely.

mjlee22 repped this.