Fiscal Conservatives Challenge Bush

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Matrim55, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ******** is starting to hit the fan in BushCamp.

When a Republican president's got the Heritage Foundation and the Cato Institute calling bullshit, you know his campaign is sinking. Enjoy your 42% of the electorate, boys.

2. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Nah, they're just attempting to keep him honest. They'll still vote for him.

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look! Over there! A terrorist!

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It won't make a difference. I heard most of Pres. Bush's speech from West Virginia, and the loudest cheer came when he talked about the sanctity of marriage and family. Now, given that marriages and family are going to be much, much harder to hold together in the near future because of major financial problems brought about by deficit spending, that's not what anyone was worrying about. They were hopeful that, if Bush is re-elected, there will be fewer men holding hands in San Francisco and New York. I don't think the general electorate gives a crap about this.

5. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I ama staunch fiscal conservative. I don't like much of what Bush has done in that arena.

I will vote for GWB because of (in order, seperated for effect)
    1-abortion

2-war on terror

3-fiscal policy (still far better than Kerry's)

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bravo. We must never, ever forget the sanctity of the fetus.

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad those fetuses dp2 and gwb are so concerned about are going to end up being born into a third-world country.

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I respect that opinion, but the question remains, in 4 years, what has he done in all three areas?

On 1 you are probably just holding out hope that he gets to appoint a judge or two in the next four years. Other than that, all you get is flowery rhetoric about the sanctity of life.

On 2 there is obviously a legit debate going on. I posted a thread yesterday about the state of our port security as an example of how we are still vulnerable in areas where we really should be more secure three years removed from 9/11. Still, I respect those that think Bush is stronger here than Kerry.

On 3, it is a Republican congress, and they are spending like sailors on shore leave the day after payday. Would kerry make things worse? I'm not so sure, but I think there is probably little difference between the two on deficits. The difference will be a shift on who receives the benefits of our current ridiculous deficits.

I am fiscally conservative as well, and I still bristle when I think back to Bush in 2000 saying "we need to give some of this surplus back to the people that pay the bills."

Fine. If we continue to run surplusses for years, and pay down the already existing debt.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's pretty much my worry, too. By the way, here's a story on the Vatican's clarification, yesterday, of the position that ItN and others made such a big deal about when some American Bishops were calling for the witholding of communion from Kerry and anyone who votes for him.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/152/story_15235_1.html

And for the record, Cardinal Ratzinger is not referred to as "Cardinal Kumbaya" by anyone at all. He's about as staunch a conservative as you can get. And he realizes there are complexities about all these issues.

I also like Chris M's point about appointing a judge or two. For all the lipservices republicans pay to pro-life issues, they're pretty ineffective about doing anything about it. Why? 1) many of their more libertarian-leaning (and wealthier) constituents favor abortion and 2) it, along with gay rights issue, is such a good rallying cry that they don't want to do away with it, what with these issues being so good at distracting people from their own economic interests.

10. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

We've been a third world country since Roe v. Wade was enacted.

11. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    Kerry is losing all the swing states except 1 and he is only 1 point a head in that state. Now tell me again who's campaign is sinking? Do you think any republican will vote for Mr. Liberal Kerry for any reason?

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Will you kindly explain this?

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he does, I bet it'll make my eyes bleed.

14. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I will. Bush has done everything possible to tell me, and most anyone else who voted for him in 2000 besides corporations and the uber-wealthy, not to do so again.

(Then again, between Bush and the sham of a California recall/election, I'm not sure I'll ever register Republican again.)

15. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I know at least six, and that includes my father.

16. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I wonder if you have ever been to a 3rd world country.
    The USA is quite nice.

17. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

It's simple for me. I believe life begins at the moment of conception, therefore abortion is murder.

Any society that endorses and makes legal murder is worse than third world to me.

18. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    But you of course have no problem with then-governor Bush murdering inmates, even retarded ones.

19. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have, and give it four years.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So, you're opposed to capital punishment, I presume?

And just curious, does your dislike of abortion take into account, in any way, the men who play a role in conceiving these unborn children? I ask because I find most anti-abortion rhetoric to be misogynistic at its core, and you know... it takes two to conceive. Yet I've never come across anyone who's anti-abortion willing to take a stand against men who also play a part in all this. It's always women's fault, in other words.

21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife is a registered Republican, and she is planning on voting for Kerry. Her main reason: Bush has ********ed up the war on terror by invading Iraq.

22. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Danger Will Robinson Danger.

You are about to enter into the Never to be Resolved Zone.

At the risk of changing the subject, I wonder which of those issues has had the most impact on dawgpound2's daily life?

23. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not 50/50?

24. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I meant the three issues he listed and their importance to his vote.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rez sure as hell does.