First tailgate: News and info: Lot 8 is a MESS

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by Bootsy Collins, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi folks. This past Sunday, Eric Kidwell and I went over and cleaned out the Pod and checked supplies. It wasn't that hard a job to do, because Eric and Scruggs did a nice job at the end of last season (thanks!).

First, the stage: there are three long segments and one short segment still around; I think one long segment is missing. Two of the long segments are in fine shape -- I jumped up and down on them and there was no sign of give or fatigue or anything. However, one of the long segments, and the short segment, were dodgy. It didn't seem like rot, though, so much as weakening of the support legs -- they may be able to be repaired. I don't know what to tell you about the fourth long segment, though.

Supplies: we'll need these things by the 3rd:
    • charcoal: we have two 20# bags, which is probably enough, but then we'll have nothing and need more anyway;
    • cups -- we have *no* plastic cups for beer
    • disposable plates (we have almost none)
    • disposable foil trays (we need a lot of these)
    • an aluminum foil roll
    • fire lighters

Also, there is exactly one keg tap in the Pod. I don't know whether it works; and even if it does, I'm sure it really really needs to be cleaned.

2. BackEastMisfit

BackEastMisfit New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    W Loudoun; RFK 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: First tailgate: Pod Needs + the Stage

CORRECTION: I'll bring 40 lbs charcoal --the double 20lb sack

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I'll forward this list to Oscar, he can make a Costco run.....

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is a COSTCO coupon for the double bag of charcoal and a few other TG-type supplies, just fyi :D

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bootsy, I assume we're OK for cleaning supplies for the time being? Would there be room if I bring some paper towels and wipes? Of course we'll need them eventually, but at the same time I don't want to overcrowd the shelves.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Last I was there things looked good cleaning wise. Please everyone hold off from purchasing anything until I've had a chance to talk with Oscar, thanks.....

7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We're fine with cleaning supplies right now.

One other thing that I didn't mention: we threw out a lot of half-full containers of condiments and spices. But since we haven't figured out what we're doing in a week and a half yet, I don't know what to suggest folks bring. I will say this, though: if you're *ever* thinking in terms of bringing ketchup or mustard for those times when we're tight on time and doing hotdogs, bring a larger number of small containers rather than a small number of large containers; that way we throw out less.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cool, and will do.

Let it be known, however, that this season I fully intend to solidify my status as "that guy who always shows up late and then helps clean up Hell's Kitchen."

It's my legacy, and I will defend it.

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

You rock dude, wish we had more with your spirit. Seemed like it was always you and Connie (and me on occasion I didn't need to go in early)

10. Blancanieva

Blancanieva New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Alexandria

props to bootsy and ek for going out and doing inventory.

11. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Trust me, nobody's gonna give you crap over that. People willing to help clean up are a treasure.

12. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va

sue and mary are there on a regular basis. kary. big kris.

im sure i left people out.

its probably the worst job of the gameday experience

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Sorry if I failed to mention everyone who puts in the time....

14. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bootsy, thanks for posting this, and thank Eric for me if you see him.

Regarding supplies:
    Foil trays should preferably be the half-sized ones (about 1/2 of one of the larger, longer trays). Party depot is a good spot to look for these.

Aluminum foil roll -- I have found that the pre-cut foil squares (avail at Costco) are much more convenient and will create less waste. However, there are times when a roll is needed. Do we have a box of the foil squares in the pod?

Fire lighters -- these are the compressed parafin and sawdust sticks. For the purists, these are great. Several tins/bottles of fire starter fluid will work more conveniently, IMO.

Chimneys -- I believe we lost one chimney at Real Madrid match last year. We need at least four chimneys to be effective. I think we still have 3 that are functional, though a bit bent (which is poetic, in a way). These can be had at Lowes for a good price.

Serving utensils -- I believe we could use beaucoup of these. They must at least be heavy duty plastic (large spoons/slotted spoons) to withstand the rigors of La Barra's communal table.

Spice: Cumin, Cayenne peppah, Kosher salt/sea salt crystals, paprika and garlic pepper are the basics, wouldn't you agree? As long as these stay dry, they're good, so contributing members could provide these.

Knives and boards: I think we need another set for the initial carving. Perhaps we should get red boards to use exclusively for the meat?

Gloves: We probably need another pair of oven mitt-type gloves.

First Aid: I think I've got that covered with the kit in my car.

GatorAde: Hell's kitchen needs a quart for each cook and lesser amounts for the rest. A couple of cases from Costco will get us going this year.

Regardless of Oscar and Scruggsie's shopping, we'll always need coal and starter fluid (and a coupld of long lighters too!). We go through about sixty pounds of coal at a good weather tailgate.

Back to work, now -- later everyone.

GM

15. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

just a reminder guys... i have access to restaurant depot... we can make a run out there one day and get the best prices... let me know

16. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No worries, bro -- where does one stop? The important thing is that people know how much more fun the tailgate becomes when they help out.

GM

17. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks in advance to whomever figures out the stage situation. Justin said he and Gavin could put a new one together in time for the tailgate if needed, but maybe they just need to build that 4TH piece and fix up the 2 shady pieces? Thanks!

18. waterbaby3

waterbaby3 New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    DC Metro
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have at least 2 spoons from the last tailgate last year that I took home to wash, not sure what else you guys threw in my bag, but its under with my tailgating stuff and coming back at ya, clean as a whistle. I never have a problem tossing stuff in my dishwasher and returned the next game, so just find me at the end and it comes back clean. :D

19. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United

how the tap situation?

20. Pops United

Pops United New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Section 137
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

@Pauly: Here's your answer on the taps. Not looking good.:eek:

21. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United

ok, ill try to get some this week

22. Gavinmgraham

Gavinmgraham New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    The Bar(ra Brava)

There were only 3 4x8 pieces for the stage and one 6x6 (i think). The "main" part bolts into a 8x12 and the 6x6 is the drum riser. Are the legs and bolts still around? I'll be happy to help get it together but contacting me thru email or facebook is a better way to go.

23. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gavin -- OK, then all the sections are present; but two of them seem to have fairly weak supports.

If you have any time this week I'm happy to go over there with you to check it out.

24. Gavinmgraham

Gavinmgraham New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    The Bar(ra Brava)

I'll have to check to see if I can make it out there. Earlier the better I guess. Email me at my name here at yahoo dot com. If I cant make it out maybe Justin could check it out and let me know whats needed for a fix. It'll probably be an easy game day thing to actually fix but knowing whats needed is the hard part.

25. ThewallDCU

ThewallDCU Member

Oct 9, 2006
    DC - Old City

It might be a good idea to pick up another few of the keg/beverage tubs along with the charcoal, etc...

I loaned one out last year but will need it back and in general having a few more is always helpful for the kind barra folk wishing to contribute to the general use collection.

Unfortunately passover has put a slight crimp in the usual season opener homebrew keg, but I'll make it available next home game.