first red card

Discussion in 'Referee' started by threeputzzz, Sep 21, 2017.

?

What was your first red card for?

1. 2CT

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. SFP

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. VC

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. DOGSO-F

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. DOGSO-H

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. OFFINABUS

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  7. Spitting

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Irresponsible behavior (non-player, NFHS or where local ROC allow it)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. Some other reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I have never issued a red card.

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  11. Been too long, don't remember.

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I wonder if BC can appeal the red card without protesting the game. I suspect they would rather take the draw than replay.

Schlager repped this.
  2. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Thanks for the links...that makes sense and was what I was thinking watching live, but I was surprised all four officials screwed that up so badly.

And yes it I was rather disappointing as a NC State fan that we just managed a 0-0 draw playing a man up against the second string keeper for 80+ minutes...

3. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Oh, yeah! I'll take credit for having made the proposal to the NFHS Soccer Rules Committee that we get rid of the hand signals. Thumping your chest for obstruction, flapping your wings like you were taking off for dangerous play.... nobody knew what those signals meant anyway, and I could never remember which one was tripping and which one was kicking. You were standing there signaling like the assessor wanted you to and meanwhile the kick had been taken and the ball was now 30 yards up field. Fun times!

4. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    For a good time, come to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

frankieboylampard repped this.
  5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite the mistake to have happened in a division 1 game. I suspect Paul Tamborino won't be assigning that person again for a while.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can see it in the highlights package from NC State.

http://gopack.com/index.aspx?path=msoc

Click on "Highlights: M Soccer vs Boston College" on the right side.

Defender kicks the ball back to the keeper

[​IMG]

Goalkeeper uses his left hand to control the ball to his feet

[​IMG]

dadman repped this.
  7. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kentucky tried to have us use the signals a few years back. I was working a state semi-final that year. Afterward, I was given a video copy of the game with assessor comments. For the first 3-4 fouls, the assessor said, "Good call, no signal." After that, he said "It's obvious that you aren't using the signals tonight, so I just won't mention it anymore." Supposedly the signals were for the benefit of the spectator, but I just didn't care. Thank goodness that didn't last very long!

8. SouthernYank

SouthernYank Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Anyone else notice in the video that the ref was wearing the new "Elite" green jersey while the AR's (at least the one you can see in the video) is wearing the current NISOA green?

9. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Is that a prototype of the new NISOA jerseys or is that a current USSF jersey?

10. SouthernYank

SouthernYank Member

Sep 21, 2010
  11. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually read the comments below the article and NCAA did restrict dogso to only DFK offenses and acknowledges the difference from IFAB.

12. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Got to change my vote after this weekend.

U14 boys. Blue player in last 10 minutes or so of the match has a breakaway, nobody near him and he's fast. Just as he's about to enter the PA, I'm thinking to myself about the keeper "please don't, please, don't, PLEASE DON'T!" And, naturally, he does, he comes flying out to the attacking player and just inside the PA he clatters him over, makes no attempt at the ball, ball rolls OOB, everyone there for blue erupts!

I'd been using my personality to manage this match, as it was hotly contested, and it helped here. "calm down, calm down, I got this, everybody be cool." I beckon over the GK who has an expectant look on his face. I show him the RC and he jogs off. Everybody gets quiet as I pull out my game card and see that there are TWO number 1s (he was one of them). I say out loud, "Crap, there are two #1s." One of the players from his team goes "Oh that's XXXXX, here, let me show you his name on the report, that's him."

I'd expected anger, craziness, resentment, but this team was cool and just played on like nothing had happened.

Coach gave the kid's player card to my AR and was cool after the match. Caught me way off guard. Team parents also throwing "good job" at us as they were leaving. I'm sure ot gets nothing but worse afterward.

CPT_Hoolie, voiceoflg, Law5 and 2 others repped this.
  13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similar thing happened with my first DOGSO-F. I think it was U-15 boys. Player mistimed a tackle and no one complained too much when the red came out. If it happened today, it would have only been a yellow since it was a trip and a legitimate attempt to play the ball.

14. funsoccer12

funsoccer12 Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Its the Elite College Soccer Referee Jerseys

15. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    What are those? LoL

16. SouthernYank

SouthernYank Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Yes

17. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    #92 Schlager, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

I couldn't find something more official, but via the BC Men's Soccer Twitter feed, the red card against the GK was rescinded and he is eligible to play in the next match.

18. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that like the Judean peoples front?

..."splitters"

dadman repped this.
  19. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    I "gave" my first red card from the line this weekend in a college conference semifinal. Actually, I gave my first two. Play was already stopped to issue a red card to a player for a nasty revenge tackle and one of his teammates decides to run his elbow through the back of his opponents head for fun. That player then kicks behind him and catches the player who elbowed him. According to the girls head coach who watched the video replay, he caught him in "the boys." Anyways, the center didn't see any of this happen so I have to call him over to chat about it. After I tell the referee what happened, one of the players for the team about to go down to 9 men comes over to tell me "neither team wants the red cards, just give them both yellow cards." Needless to say, we didn't agree with that assessment.

IASocFan, SccrDon, voiceoflg and 2 others repped this.
  20. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Of course they didnt want RCs. They weren't done yet. ;)

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  21. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Saw my first DOGSO Sunday. AR1 on a 12U boys game. White team defending my end and down 3-2. Less than 2 minutes left and they have the corner kick. Keeper and one defender in this half of the field. Everyone else pushed up. Kick is taken, ball pinballs around, then is cleared. Two green players emerge, one kicking the ball forward and the other gathering it. 2 vs 1. One green player dribbles past the midline then past the center circle when the white player goes for the ball but takes out the player as well. I look behind the defender and see only the keeper. I thought "Crap...Dogso." I'm about to raise the flag when the CR lays into the whistle. She reaches for the back pocket and pulls out the red. Zero argument from the White team's coach behind me. He was even telling his players "Don't argue with the referee, I got this." The team calmed down but looked confused when he didn't argue the call. I looked at him and he said "Yep, good call. I hate it but that was the right call."

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Ghastly - Was that 2 reds or 3 (revenge tackle + elbow + kick back)?

23. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    3 separate cards. One for the bad tackle and two for the players involved in the extracurriculars while dealing with the tackle.

SccrDon and dadman repped this.