First Look at Ottawa's Proposed New Stadium

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by Ottawa MLS Fan, May 27, 2010.

1. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1) Is MLS going to overlook the FieldTurf?

2) Does Hunt even have the money for an MLS team?

3. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

1. Maybe
    2. Not even close

4. ortawa

ortawa New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I dont think MLS is in play, D2 is what they are talking about.

As for money, financial - their are two guys in the group on equal footing with Eugene Melnyk...but I don think there is any interest in MLS, or quite frankly MLS in that stadium

5. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Here is a letter in the Ottawa Citizen concerning the design of the potential new Ottawa stadium:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Stadium+stir+passion+soccer+fans/3104712/story.html

I have to agree with this writer. [FONT=&quot]I am concerned that it will provide a very poor atmosphere to watch sports, because of the open ends and the distance of the seats from the playing surface. The best stadium designs control and contain the atmosphere like the precious thing that it is. They enclose the playing surface on four sides, they fill in at the corners and they provide a roof over as many of the seats as possible, to contain the sound as well as to keep the crowd dry.

Does anyone prefer these Nor th American style stadiums to European soccer stadiums with the terracing on four sides?

[/FONT]

6. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    doesn't this new stadium have the potential to be a HUGE white elephant?? only 1 sport-- a potential CFL team-- in a city that has twice (or is it 3x) rejected the previous CFL teams will be the major tenant

even when 1 takes in the possibility of playoff/exhibition CFL games, along with regular season games, that will add up to about 15 days per year for the stadium

how will the stadium ever be financially viable? and can the city ever be sure the CFL franchise will be successful?? and what about the other 350 unused days/year?

this is not like a NFL stadium that draws 70 000 people /game-- the amount of $$$$$$ that comes in per game makes it a profitable venture-- but ottawa will average at the best 22 000 per game

i'm not convinced this will be a successful venture- i realize it is too late to stop this stadium idea, but not including a MLS franchise to me seems short-sighted and fiscally incompetent

just my opinion

7. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It helps OSEG that they have full control of the stadium for 30 years rent-free. OSEG also have the profit from building the stadium, getting the retail and commercial buildings rent-free for 30 years (including the Aberdeen Pavilion) etc to help offset any losses they may sustain. And all they are offering in terms of soccer is USL-1/NASL with the Ottawa Fury as a tenant.

Sweet deal, but it doesn't help the taxpayers that have to pay $125M for the stadium though. Or the soccer fans in Ottawa.

8. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cyril Leader is talking in the Ottawa Citizen about a clause in the Lansdowne agreement that would give OSEG a monopoly over stadiums and arenas in Ottawa for the next 30 years.

Unfair business practices like this could ultimately be the thing that sinks the Lansdowne deal, but it is encouraging to hear Leader saying that Senators Sports and Entertainment has “an ongoing proposal for a soccer stadium.”

9. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    Apparently Leeder met with some MLS officials today in LA.

10. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    where did you hear about that?? and the purpose of the meeting??

11. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Prove it. Or you're just pulling it out of your ass.

12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    he has the right ass-- not that i care!! :eek:

http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=74068

ottawa is still a long-shot for # 20; maybe 23 or 24 if mls wants to go that far

13. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Considering the growing interest for soccer in the U.S., thanks to the impressive success of the men's World Cup side, I'd say Ottawa is a long shot, period! Interest from American investors will only pick up.

14. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    You're rather hostile.

I would have posted an article had one been written up on Friday, it was on the radio.

15. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interest from American investors could hardly get any lower. That's why Canada now has three teams.

16. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Then you should have said it was on CFRA radio in the first place. You came off as one of those heard-it-through-the-grapevine types that run rampant here on BigSoccer.

17. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Toronto is the biggest financial and media market in Canada. They would be in the top five comparable to those in the United States. Vancouver and Montreal established themselves as big time North American soccer markets through the Whitecaps and Impact.

Ottawa doesn't have any of that going for it. And if Melnyk does continue to push for this Kanata stadium, even after Landsdowne stadium is up and running with a CFL team, will he lobby the different levels of government for public funding? Very, very unlikely. And $65million dollars isn't going to get you much for a stadium for MLS's liking.

By all accounts, MLS will take a break expanding after they add team number 20. If and when they resume expanding, possibly four teams, the economy in the U.S. should fully recover, interest in soccer will continue to grow, U.S. sponsorships will rise, and there will be more, better investors looking to bring MLS teams to their cities. At this point, Canada will be very fortunate to have three cities represent MLS. A fourth or fifth will be out of the question.

So you can either continue with this delusional crack pipe dream of yours that Ottawa is a worthy and deserving MLS market that the league would be foolish to pass up, or you can sober up and hope for a realistic shot at a USL/NASL club at Landsdowne that they can build and replicate like they did in Vancouver and Montreal, and what they hope to do out in Edmonton. Capice?

18. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Red Rover - the only intelligent thing I have ever read of yours is your signature "Arguing with idiots makes you an idiot." So I won't bother.

19. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ottawa council still have a motion before them to support Eugene Melnyk's soccer stadium in Kanata. That motion was renewed this afternoon by council, so remains on the books for later discussion.

20. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    It appears that today's Sports Business Journal has an article that states that Ottawa is still pressing the idea of MLS. Unfortunately, I can't get access to the article because I have NOT payed the online subscription. If anyone here has a membership there please post the article here.

Here's the link: http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleid=66143

21. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Considering how much of a delusional Wile E. Coyote case you've been regarding an MLS team to Ottawa, I just laugh at your feeble attempt at an intelligent response.

BTW:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/2010/06/29/14551341.html

Pick it:

[​IMG]

Then stick it! :p

22. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Ottawa does have alot going for them to many to list now.As for toronto don't forget there was concern from some when they ere awarded a team.

23. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wouldn't bother with that guy. I think a billionaire in Melnyk knows what Ottawa's chances are for MLS better than some {EDITED} on the internt named Red Rover.

24. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    And nearly two years after that last post, how's Ottawa's MLS bid coming along, hmmmm?

You are so weaksauce. :ROFLMAO:

25. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Put on hold for now as a result of city council opting for the CFL stadium.