Fire TBD! - New Coach Discussion

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Sep 13, 2018.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As a Manchester United fan, I concur.

I was very open to him coming in with his track record but since he arrived the atmosphere has grown progressively murky.

With the Mourinho/Pogba situation, I find myself in a position that goes against my usual philosophy when it comes to players and coaches. Normally I say that you need to back the coach, that the players need to respect him and fall in line but in this case, I'm more concerned about one of the most exciting talents in the game being forced out by an egotistical, politicking manager.

Now I'm not saying that I'm exactly happy with how Pogba has handled this himself but he's clearly not the only player that Mou has criticised and at this point, he seems to have derailed the form of just about every flair player that he's had uner him at OT.

Having discussed this with other football fans, there's a compelling theory: going head-to-head with Guardiola in Spain, at a time when his own crude-but-effective style was rapidly become old hat, dented confidence. He's now falling back on his formerly self-assured snark as a defence mechanism and seems to propagate a mutual mistrust between him and his players.

In hindsight, I can see how the Chelsea squad turned against him.

skydog and Beep Boop Robot repped this.
  2. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Looks like Berhalter is the favorite for the USMNT job. Can't imagine he turns the offer down.

I'd be disappointed if hire Porter or Kinnear for next season.

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen Casts His Lonely Eyes to You..................:coffee:

hav77 repped this.
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might warrant a forum ban.

:)

hav77 and TOAzer repped this.
  5. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

6. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I seriously have not renewed my season tickets yet because of this. :(

7. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even from just these last three games, I'd prefer Kinnear over Porter as next year's head coach. Presumably every game we win with Kinnear as the head coach the more I know I'm going to want him as the permanent hire. Especially if that's the guy Zlatan wants to play under.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea how Almeda will fare in Scum Jose, but this ought to put some pressure on the FO to look beyond handy MLS retreads or a FAILED national team coach. Not that I think they are actually capable of conducting a broad and creative search. That would be hard.

MPNumber9, TrickHog, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  9. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you're saying, but Almeyda success is highly dependent on the SJE front office. Similarly with the Galaxy. We don't have a GM yet. Any coach right now, with our FO structure, is setup for failure. So really, any coach that has demonstrated that they can win in spite of our FO has my confidence.

IMO, Kinnear hasn't earned the permanent job yet, but he's headed in the right direction.

10. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not convinced Berhalter works unless Klein gives him FULL control of all on and off field decisions that impact the game.

If that isn't the case, it won't work, and he might as well get more exposure by coaching the USMNT.

TrickHog and WarGalaxy repped this.
  11. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would prefer Porter, but I would be perfectly fine with Kinnear. I couldn't understand why they didn't just hire him as head coach instead of Sigi in the first place.

12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, they aren't considering Kinnear, but if he makes the playoffs and has some kind of run -- you sorta have to.

A lot of people feel Vagenas is on his way out and he was the source of a lot of the behind-the-scenes power struggles.

JPAR and TrickHog repped this.
  13. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If we can’t get GBS or equivalent let’s stick with Kinnear.

15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinnear has been fine. But he gives our FO a wonderful excuse to not even bother to look to see if there is a GBS equivalent or better out there.

kaburu, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How well does Kinnear have to do in the playoffs to make you want to sign him permanently?

TrickHog repped this.
  17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't even believe this is a possibility.

TrickHog repped this.
  18. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we win the west, in my mind, that should be enough to give him the permanent spot.

He’s actually younger then I thought, 51. If the players like playing for him and this is basically the lineup returning next season, then I don’t see why not.

However we need to add to the FO and bring in a true GM and proven talent evaluator. Without that I can’t see this team improving next season.

Over the last two seasons this FO has missed on every TAM player that was signed (Zlatan doesn’t count). That’s actually unbelievable that every TAM player that was signed as a FA (Ola was traded for) has been a total bust.

19. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Win an MLS Cup.

Before we signed Zlatan, the expectations with the roster we had was getting to the playoffs. Adding Zlatan meant, anything short of a deep in the playsoffs would be a failure. Our team under performed all season, and only now are they getting the results they should have been getting all season.

Credit to Dom for taking a broken team and saving our season, but the team isrealistically only doing what was expected of them at the start of the season.

In order for the club to move forward in the future I think we need to find a high quality coach and make sure our team is setup for success in both the short and long term.

MPNumber9 and TOAzer repped this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Our season isn't saved yet. We still have to beat Houston. If we don't do that, Kinnear is not even in the picture. After that, if we lose in the first round, Kinnear is also not in the picture. If it goes past that, he needs to be in the discussion.

73Bruin, JPAR, hav77 and 6 others repped this.
  21. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom got lucky that Gio's been "hurt".

JPAR, kaburu, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.
  22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio runs up to Dom.

Gio: "Coach, I'm all good, ready to..."

Dom whacks Gio in the leg with his clipboard. Turns to Adam Serrano.

Dom: "Gio is day to day but hopefully he'll be able to get out on the pitch real soon."

23. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can appreciate any coach that has enough balls to basically bench an overpaid player that doesn't put in real effort or flat out sucks. If Kinnear can get us into the playoffs with all that has transpired under Sigi, then I have zero problem with him keeping the job fulltime. The last team he had real serious control over, he won a supporter's shield and went the MLS Cup 3 times. And this was all during our Dynasty run a few years ago. For me his future has everything to do with Sunday.

24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if we win on Sunday, we should let Kinnear coach at least one more game...

:)

shelbo, Beakmon FC, hav77 and 4 others repped this.
  25. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now ATL has to find a successor to Tata. Let's compare the search ATL does for a coach with the search that our sterling FO does.

Kinnear is doing fine. Do we really believe that he is the best coach available? Or is he just the best coach our FO is likely to find without trying too hard?

So SJE made a bold move. ATL is likely to make a bold move. And we are likely to take the easy way out.

hav77, TrickHog and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.