Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    In order No, Son tended bar and was a bouncer in Arlington so no hate there, what he drinks is his business, I like Irish, dry reds tear my stomach up. I'd prefer to have never met anyone like our most recent SCOTUS nominee but sadly I have and far too many and for me a beer is one with a burger not 24 with 24 more.. And I know that most booze braggarts (not Ben) are basically insecure asshats who think being shitfaced is a major accomplishment worthy of envy thus never a sentence without a reference to drink. To each his own as I said.
    But I do have a family and know that joy doesn't come bottled in bond or in a six pack so I wonder how mom and the kids feel about his comment

2. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2227 Abner Ravenwood, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    I feel like you're taking it out of context. I don't believe it's about his family at all. I read it as "Sometimes Ben thinks about moving away from the city, but then he remembers the things you can do in the city that suburban life doesn't offer, and all is well." He just picked walking around the corner to a bar, but it could've been taking a short cab ride to a museum.

On bad days, when city life becomes overwhelming and the summer heat becomes unbearable, he and Megan sometimes start looking at property in Maryland, or elsewhere. But those thoughts are typically short-lived.

“Then I walk out my door, and around the corner,” Olsen quips, “and I have a bourbon with my local bartender. And I feel full of life again.”

3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    In the context of what was originally quoted, "“Then I walk out my door, and around the corner,” Olsen quips, “and I have a bourbon with my local bartender. And I feel full of life again.” and the response "Words of wisdom. Words to live by."_ is all that there was presented in the post. When weighed against the substantially deeper material that you posted there's a world of difference. The would have been met with a shrug and a "no kidding" on my part. Only John L knows why he shortened the story to what he presented

marks7mb repped this.
  4. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so you were taking the quote out of context. No shame in that. I assumed you had read the article, which it seems you haven't, and you assumed he was talking about using booze as an escape, which he wasn't. No worries.

dadman repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    no worries it is.

6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least President Camacho knows his limitations and hires the best person he can to solve the problem. Narcissists never would be able to admit someone was smarter and more capable than they are.

James

GumbyG, Q*bert Jones III and EdTheRed repped this.
  7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    I have lived near the city my entire life and I worked for the city - that would NOT be a nice thing to wish on anyone - even wRongen or T Soehn who put us underwater for years.

9. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Here's a random observation on DCU history and tradition. Ben Olsen played his first season here in 1998 and retired after the 2009 season. Bill Hamid's first season was 2010. So either Ben or Bill has been on he team for 21 straight years and 21 out of the 23 years the league has existed. The conclusion - Bill must keep playing until Ben retires or is fired, at which point he becomes the head coach. Or, given the longevity of good keepers, Nick (here since 2012) takes over from Ben and Bill succeeds Nick. Or maybe Bill and Nick have to wait a bit while Wayne gets his chance.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen reference to "Benny Ball" since Rooney's arrival, and I don't know if Benny actually changed his approach or if Rooney changed it for him. In any case, the team now looks like it loves to attack and is able to do so in several different ways.

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I've seen opposing teams play Benny Ball. ;)

Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  12. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Yeah, NE played some serious Benny Ball against us (Bradley Ball?). It was like looking at footage of DCU from years past.

Winoman repped this.
  13. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I forgot about that game. I need to take the sarcastic emoticon off my post.

14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    He never (OK - rarely) had the players to do anything else. "Benny Ball" started to go away when we had Mullins attacking (but only at home) and when Acosta wasn't pouting. Andit ended when Stieber and Arriola and Canouse came onto the team last summer. It started to be enjoyable to watch. We weren't scoring much and our defense sucked and we weren't winning. BUT we were playing attacking soccer finally.

Ben (and nearly every coach) can only do with a team that he has the players for. We had the bits and pieces for Attacking Soccer for half a year (except with Canouse being out for so long). But it also takes a Forward with a soccer brain. We have one now.

15. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I've been pretty tough on Olsen at times in this thread. Now that he has a competent roster to work with, the results have been good and the style of play is, dare I say, attractive.

So good job, Benny! We all know you have a passion for the team and I think everyone is rooting for you to continue to grow as a coach.

I was squarely in the fire him camp earlier in the season but I think he's probably earned some additional time to see if he can sustain (or even improve on) this level of play.

BassNFool, Winoman, shawn12011 and 4 others repped this.
  16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rooney vouches for him, Benny will stay.

Winoman, USSoccerNova and bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben's best quality as a manager has been...the "management" part of it. He's always been good at keeping the locker room under control, keeping some semblance of unity and fight in the squad no matter how bad the season goes.

Bringing in Rooney has worked out but it was a risky proposition; Benny deserves credit for--yet again--managing a major roster change.

I do still believe he's way behind the curve as a tactician and it's sorta amazing that he's been giving such a long learning curve...but that's in the past now and the fact is he IS starting to learn, so at this point I'm firmly in the keep Ben camp.

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to hear Rooney's take on the quality of Ben's soccer management/coaching. As a long-time EPL performer, Rooney has experience with some of the great names in soccer management, and I would like to know his impressions of Ben and Chad. Of course, it is obvious Rooney is doing a lot on coaching on the pitch during matches.

19. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You'll have to wait for the book.

Winoman repped this.
  20. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    There is true zero percent chance Rooney says anything negative about Olsens coaching while he is here, even if he thinks he isn’t doing a good job. Rooney wins by staying positive and he isn’t here long enough to really care.

Dizi repped this.
  21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    At this point, you're not even an angry idiot. You're a caricature of an angry idiot.

22. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Well I reached that point a lot later in life than you, so I guess I take home the silver on that one, eh cabron?

23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Be careful posts like this will cause shammy's head to explode.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  24. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Nah I actually believe people can hold their own opinions without being a nasty little turd to them. Can we make a case that other factors are responsible for our success beyond Olsen? Sure, but memories run short when your team is winning and arguing with people in the face of winning is pretty pointless. Rooney and a long homestand has been more than sufficient to overcome our previous deficiencies, so firing Olsen is less of a priority than getting more pieces to work with Rooney and an inspired Acosta.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I by no means would claim that Olsen is solely responsible for where the club is right now. However even you have admitted that with this improved roster Olsen has been able to get this club to succeed. So therefore I have been proven right about my assertion that the crap roster had more to do with the clubs lack of success than Olsen being a poor coach/manager.

fatbastard repped this.