Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Maybe the most highbrow post ever to grace DC United, but without smoking Gauloise cigarettes, Sartre doesn't work

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree, if you’re DC United. It’s no big deal if you have the checkbook of ATL, or either New York club, or Toronto. That leaves 2 spots in a normal season now, so if you’re one of the other teams in the East, if you make he playoffs, you’ve done a good job as an organization.

dadman repped this.
  3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Bruce Arena was in attendance at AF last night for the United v United match. Wonder if his presence had a motivational factor on Benny?

4. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Cool. That's at least twice now. I'm hoping he gets hired as Director of Soccer Operations, or some other lofty sounding title, and let Kasper return to balancing the books. I doubt Bruce wants the daily grind of coaching, but directing the club he and Payne created could be very satisfying. "The circle would be complete."

asitis

5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Having a guy running the show who can step in as coach should the incumbent get hit by a truck is a plus. No more who do you replace him with.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His post game comments were confusing.

We all understand that if Montreal had shooting boots the game would’ve been different but he didn’t seem to appreciate the win, speak to the goal of the 6 point swing, praise anyone, etc.

Weird.

James

Winoman repped this.
  8. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We;ll see how the team responds. Maybe it is a way to have the team look for areas of improvement after a blow out win. Maybe it was Nick Sabanesque.

9. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    This win gives us the cover to fire Olsen on an optimistic note, so that’s a good thing. :p

Dizi repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you never give up do you??? :p:p:p:p

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to the RFKRefugees podcast this morning and they made a case for Ben Olsen as coach of the year and all I could picture were heads in here exploding.
    It make me grin.

dadman, shawn12011, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Mine definitely hurts from reading that.

onefineesq and Winoman repped this.
  13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    and who says that shawn12011 is not into new media and new things. :D

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  14. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen is a genius, he told Wayne Rooney to go play soccer. Truly masterful work. :whistling:

Adler, NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  15. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    At least he didn't try to tell him what to do. What would your advice have been?;)

asitis

shawn12011 repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The truth is that Bob Bradley should be the consensus COTY. You can't give it to Armas because he's only been there a few weeks. You shouldn't give it to Tata because Bocanegra could have pulled a stranger off the street and they would have coached that team into the playoffs. Vermes is Vermes.

But here's the case for Olsen, assuming they make the playoffs which is far from assured right now:

Olsen started with a bad team, was given a catastrophically difficult schedule, major injuries and tons of adversity, and STILL was able to succeed. That would be pretty remarkable.

But make the damn playoffs first.

ImNumberTen and shawn12011 repped this.
  17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, Olsen has just been named MLS Coach of the Week.

ImNumberTen, fatbastard and asitis repped this.
  18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That's because Rooney is out of the running on a technicality. NTL, atta boy Ben, no go for back to back

19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Who's responsible for designing and implementing our high pressure? It started before Rooney came, but its success was hit or miss because the final guy (Mattocks) doesn't have a soccer brain, and that caused Acosta to be lackadaisical about it. Now with Rooney being the final guy, the high press is much more successful, but it was here before him.

So who on the coaching staff came up with this? Even if its just a copy of what some other teams do, it still has to be taught by someone on the chalk board and walk thru it in practices.

shawn12011 and fatbastard repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But see here he did not hold back Rooney either, so that is good coaching just as much.

21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would’ve loved to see that conversation.

At least he is smart enough to know when to step back.

James

shawn12011 repped this.
  22. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    We're now like an NBA team, where the star can fire the coach. And that's not necessarilly a bad thing. Wayne wouldn't have come here if he didn't feel he could have a good working relationship with Ben. But now that he's here on a fairly long-term contract, Wayne will decide whether Ben stays or goes. I have no doubt that after this season, and every season, the owner will ask Wayne whether to keep Ben. And that will be that. I can see why Wayne likes Ben. Whatever his other shortcomings, he's a player's coach who doesn't put his own ego above the needs of the team. The question will be whether in Wayne's judgement Ben's easygoing approach gets the best performance out of the mixed bag of players around him.

23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Considering our team is mostly a bunch of cast-offs from other teams, Ben's approach seems to have been the best. He's begun to recognize their strengths and gets them like each other and fight for each other out there on the field. And they tend to over-perform.

The real question is what happens when we get more real talent on the team besides just Acosta and Rooney. First cast-off 2 or 3 defenders. And then get a bona fide 2nd forward who has a soccer brain. And then another great mid-fielder.

Then an actual experienced quality coach might be necessary to take them to the championship level.

Winoman repped this.
  24. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you seriously believe there is no other "talent" on this team? Not Arriola? Asad? Canouse? Hamid? Stieber? Mattocks?

These are not exactly a "bunch of cast-offs."

A couple years ago this club was pretty bare...and they were awful. While they still have holes there is some quality to build upon here...and they are winning.

Funny how coaches get better when you hand them some weapons.

25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But Shammy told me we need to fire Ben now?!?!?!