Fire Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It wasn't that long ago that it seemed like half the team smoked...

Winoman repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Whenever I think of Piotr Novak smoking girly Virginia Slims, I just can't help but laugh.

Anyway, 8 points from 9 games. It may FEEL like this season is a complete ********ing catastrophe, but the most important data point says otherwise.

3. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't care. Still want Olsen out. I think it's pretty interesting that despite all the turmoil and turnover in Columbus, Berhalter has his team in 3rd place and Gyasi Zardes has 8 goals. Columbus camps in the opponents half most every game (even when on the road) and create a lot of chances with a pretty tame roster.

ElApacheTevez and Dizi repped this.
  4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm down on Olsen, but I will give him props for some good lineup decisions. First, he recognized that Arriola and Sieber belong on the pitch together, as they were last year. Second, he made a tactical decision to move Arriola inside. Usually, Ben likes his speed to be on the wings, but I think he realized how a very fast, aggressive central mid can discombobulate a defense. Stieber doesn't have that speed, but he delivers a lovely ball, which he can and does do from a wide position, while choosing his opportunities to slide inside, as he did for the first goal.

ElApacheTevez, Winoman and superdave repped this.
  5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    - Everyone on this board tried as hard as we could to find a way to get all 3 quality mids on the field together the moment Asad was acquired.
    - Right on Arriola I have to agree. I did read, however, that Arriola was actually pushing Olsen for the move. He had played the position in LigaMX.

Much like our pasting of Atlanta last year, SJ played right into Olsen's hands. Trying to play out of the center back position with low skill/technique defenders was a high risk move by SJ. Why tempt fate like that? Its exactly what DCU wants teams to do. I bet this is the last game all season we see an MLS squad try to build from center back. They will distribute to their full backs, go long, or bring a midfielder deep from here on out. Most good teams were already doing that to us against our high press. Squads with a CB who can really handle the ball at their feet will probably continue play it out from there, but there aren't a lot of those.

ElApacheTevez and Winoman repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked like a well coached team Saturday. We looked like we had a plan. I especially noticed that we pressed the ball in a coherent fashion...almost always with a double team, and almost always at halfway to the halfway line. The other players in the attacking 3rd immediately broke into dangerous spots if we won the ball, and fell back if we didn't.

ElApacheTevez, Winoman and Dizi repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Not done by most people in this country at least.
    One effective, and well managed game plan out of what, the last 60? Well it is a start but, let's see if we can say that 3 matches in a row before we start fashioning a laurel wreath for Ben.

8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I was out of town and could not watch the game, but I saw the 4 minute highlight package. I was feeling encouraged, but then I checked the standings and saw that we beat another bad team. So I'm going to dial back the exuberance.

ElApacheTevez, sitruc, GumbyG and 2 others repped this.
  9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, a win over San Jose doesn't mean too much. More importantly, we displayed an ability to enforce a game plan, score, and see it out against <i>someone</i>. And, based on 0.9 ppg away and 2 ppg home (which is what teams in the East averaged last year) we're only 2.3 points off playoff pace, despite what has felt like a miserable start to the season. If we can somehow beat Cheatin' Bob next week, we'll eat up that deficit. I'm not too hopeful of that, but at least it might be a more interesting game than it first appeared.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    GumbyG, Winoman, John L and 1 other person repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure plenty of people said the same thing about Olsen who now hate him and want him gone.

Can I ask why you are so confident a guy with no coaching experience should cut his teeth with my team? (edit: I see he's coaching in whatever country he's from, so sort-of kind-of never mind the word "no")

I mean he was a fairly decent player, if you're not into speed or a lack of diving; not always sure that translates to good coaching.

12. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not sure I understand your post 100%, but if you're asking why I think Schelotto would be great for DCU it's because he coached Lanus to two Copa Liberatdores and two Copa Sudamericana berths. Until injuries hit his team he was on track to win the Championship his last year at Lanus. Now he's coaching Boca Juniors and they're in 1st place. Lanus is now in 13th.

Palermo was going to hire him a few years ago as their coach, but he did not have the required UEFA badges. I also love that he plays an attacking style of play and adjusts his tactics to the opposition and the players on his roster. Olsen has one way of playing and forces his players into it -- regardless of opponent (I think this is short sighted, but I recognize it worked in MLS 1.0).

All this and he's very familiar with the uniqueness of MLS as a player in a small market like Columbus.

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Why would anyone trade in Boca for DC United?

Also 9 points from 10 games. If they could just screw up the Rooney deal, I'd actually be feeling hopeful for the first time in ages.

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad, I didn't realize he'd been retired long enough to have real coaching experience yet. Seems he's been a few places.
    Never liked the guy much as a player, but that could be bias.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  15. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Because Boca has had 13 coaches since 2009. There are more factors in coaching in Argentina (and especially Boca) than just performing well.

16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Gallardo has also had a great record with River Plate. But I think he too would be more interested in Europe than in MLS.

Winoman repped this.
  17. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I had the chance to meet him during the one season he played for DCU. He was injured. Jaime and several other players were at this guy's house for a 4th of July party. About 5-6 DCU players were there... all drinking and partying it up, but Gallardo did not. He only drank water and I asked him about it. He said he only drank during the off-season. He wanted to take care of his body.

Winoman repped this.
  18. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, Gallardo, you're just not going to work out here.

I mean literally. We don't work out. But the job is yours if you want it.

19. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Schelotto would fit DC to a T. I'd also consider handing the reins to Concina. He had our defense humming. I doubt we'd get him back for less than a shot at the top job, though.

Eastern Bear and tallguy repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Hell of a player for Boca, the matches used to be carried by MHZ and were pretty darn entertaining. He was a strike mate with "El Loco" Martin Palermo and Boca knew how to score.

Winoman repped this.
  21. Big Bopper

Big Bopper New Member

D.C. United
    United States
    Apr 22, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Chad’s a f#*k head

22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Praise for Chad? Your post implies he can get laid and has something above his shoulders. Internet exaggeration

Big Bopper, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zidane has quit as the Real Madrid coach - just a month or so before the Buzzard Point stadium opens - let the internet rumors fly :cool:

:D

sitruc, ElApacheTevez, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  24. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I'm just waiting for the Mirror or Sun papers in the UK to write a story about how Zizou always wanted to manage Rooney... so he's following him to DC! ;)

Winoman repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Zidane as Olsen's new #2!!!!

sitruc, onefineesq, Winoman and 3 others repped this.