Fire Holger, Hire Yallop

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Crazy_Yank, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been impressed with Osieck. In any other country he would have been kicked to the curb for Canada's failed WC 2002 qualification process. He seems to ignore North American based players in favor of marginal Scotland based players. Fenwick over Titus? WTF?? Yallop on the other hand is an outstanding coach who is familar with the North American game. Yallop played in Europe and has 60 or so caps for Canada so he has international experience. Why ignore a quality canuck in favor of a mediocre German?

2. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    I'm sure that's all De Rosario needs - he finally gets Holger to start him ahead of European-based strikers, only for Holger to be replaced by Yallop, a guy who doesn't start him enough at the club level.

Holger's also our technical director & has completely overhauled our developmental system, which was badly needed & did so on the basis of his European experiences, which frankly no Canadian candidates had. He's not the greatest coach admittedly & I think he would have to go as head coach if he doesn't get us to the promised land for 2006, but during his tenure as national team coach we have seen the Canadian team transformed from a slow, defensive-minded squad (coached by a Canadian, I might add) that couldn't keep possession to an attack-minded youthful team that can stroke the ball around the field. And the reforms he instituted seem to be working as our youth teams consistently look more talented.

As for Yallop, I'd like to see how he continues in San Jose. If De Rosario isn't good enough to start on an MLS team one would think that MLS team must be championship material, but San Jose wasn't even close this year. It could be 2001 was a fluke, but I'll definitely be following his progress with interest.

3. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The strikers playing ahead of him were better. Graziani was in the Ecuador national team recently, and is always good for at least 10 goals a season. Donovon is a proven talent.

4. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    I'm not sure about Graziani being better than Dwayne (he didn't make either Ecuador's World Cup or Gold Cup teams this year) but even so, I'd put all three on the field. Play Donovan as an attacking midfielder behind the other two. If San Jose's strength's lie in their depth up front then I say utilize that depth.

5. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's trying to impede on Canada's progress to keep the US firmly in the qualification zone :p.

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The last time NA players played an important role on a WC team, we imploded for France 98. Foreign coaches (Osieck, Waiters, Twamley) have tended to bring more sucess to Canadian Soccer tha domestic coaches. Lennarduzzi was given two World Cups to prove himself and he failed. Plus, Yallop has too much of a link to The Duze that would make him an effective coach.

Holger also pics NA players, the best that I might add.

7. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dammit, you found me out. No bonus from the USSF for me :(

8. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    It is frustrating to watch DeRo playing in games. He can be brillently one second to dribble over three defenders, but then next second he would give a very bad pass that could be easily a goal to tap in. One second he would score a lazer from 30 yards, then next second he would flap in front of goal with no one to beat. He needs to improve on his inconsistence and remember once a while he needs to lift his head to see where teammates are.

He still has good potential though. But when you guys have that 19 years old kid--Barlotti or something, you will forget DeRo who.

9. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Who?

10. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm guessing Wyn Belotte.

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The main reason you won't see a lot of NA-based players wearing the colours is because many of thme play indoor soccer during the winter. During the hex in '98, there were several players on the team that still had their indoor seasons in session. This is why the likes of Nash, Onstad, and Reda rarely get a call to the senior side.

12. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, Onstad NEVER gets called when he's healthy...

Wait a sec... is that "never" or "ALWAYS" (!!!)?

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He is never healthy. He broke his wrist in '97 and lost his starting indoor job. Why do you think he never gets the start anymore?