Fire fans supporting EPL team

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Golazco, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Golazco

Golazco New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    chicago
    Since there are a few too many months between the end and start of a new MLS season, and the popularity of the English Premier League, I thought we Fire supporters could decide as a group on an EPL team to support for this and all upcoming EPL campaigns. Tell us which team and why they would be a good choice for Fire fans to support (color of jersey, history, style of play, fans etc.)

2. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is an excellent idea. We must do this.

[​IMG]

3. Dont Tread

Dont Tread New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Terre Haute,IN
    MAN UNITED.
    Both Red.
    Both awesome.
    Both have great fans.

4. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great idea. I'm gonna wait til the off season.

5. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but it's Pompey for me no matter what. Be it the EPL or back when they were in Division 1 (now the CCC of course)...

For me it's always Fire Red - Pompey Blue.

6. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Doesn't this Demerit kid have a history with Fire PDL? Watford.

How about Spector - another local kid - West Ham.

Boca/mcBride -- the double connection at the Cottage.

7. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd never happen. Many of us were supporting English sides since far before our league even began.

That said... ******** ManU. I'll never forgive them for that Bayern match in Chicago.

Look at Real Madrid, Chelsea, and Barcelona, you ********ing bastards!!!! They brought some players and came to play, you arrogant ********ing assholes!!!!!!!

I curse you to relegation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    hahaha, you're funny!

9. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and yes. I loved watching the playoff final last season Leeds n' Watford and having Jay score on that header. But I'm still a Pompey bhoy. :D

10. RogerinIL

RogerinIL New Member

Feb 24, 1999
    There's loads of reasons to support various EPL sides. But I think it's an individual decision. As one very wise British friend said "You don't pick the team, the team picks you."

Besides the team's already mentioned, there are also:

Blackburn - featuring former MLS GK Brad Friedel and defender (Kiwi) Ryan Nelsen.

Charlton - just signed Corry Gibbs

and

Reading - newly promoted with Americans Marcus Hahnemann and Bobby Convey.

Personally, I've become a fan of the Craven Cottagers (Fulham). Partially, it was to follow Brian McBride and Carlos Bocanegra. But I also never warmed to the big clubs (probably because of an intense life long hatred of the NY Yankees). Since Boca and McB arrived, Fulham have also added former MLSer Simon Elliott so there's a strong MLS connection.

Incidentally, US national teamer Oguichi Onyewu is still of interest to both Reading and Fulham. A possible transfer to Middlesbrough for him has apparently at this point fallen through.

11. chitown

chitown New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Chicago
    Dude exactly what players did you want to see in this match? I ask in that you are so angry about it and well maybe if you knew the facts as to why some players were not in attendance or did not play it would lessen your anger...for instance Rudd did not make the trip becuase he was getting married that weekend.

12. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't care about him, but the lineup for ManU was pathetic. They brought maybe 1-2 starters with them. If the players couldn't show up, they needed to cancel the match. Nobody I know left that match happy. It was nothing short of theft. I understand that a couple of players may not have been able to make the trip... but give me a break. The effort was sad too.

It was different the year before. In 2004, they decided to take advantage of people and bring scrubs.

Why are you an apologist for every negative issue that comes up? This is not a new complaint. Most were livid. Hell, ManU were booed off the pitch for pulling that crap.

Did some searching for an old thread...

Look at the advertisement for the event:

I sure didn't get that.

Anyway, why the hell do you care? It's just one guy saying "******** MANU!" I said I'd boycott them two years ago when this shit went down. I'm just sticking to it.

13. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    make that two.

of course, I'd be saying that if they'd brought their first eleven and trotted off with a three-goal victory, but what they actually did was an embarassment - both from a squad and effort aspect.

On the upside, they took a stadium full of potential ManUre fans and instantly turned them into Bayern Munich fans.

Guppy needs to talk to the people that market BM. I still have the FREE hat and FREE jersey I got after that match, and i wear them IN PUBLIC all the effing time.

For zero dollars, I'm a walking Bayern/T-Mobile billboard.

What the hell were they thinking?

14. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thirded. Screw ManU since they also are league with the Yankees.

15. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    maybe you've heard of something called Euro 2004?

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, some of us in S8 have been supporting a Prem team since long before the Fire were ever created and I would hasten to say the majority of individuals in S8 already support a Prem side or, if they don't, its because they don't care about it...

16. jonnyk1569

jonnyk1569 New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Brazil, Africa

This guy is obviously some marketing guy from MLS or some other bull$hit. This is a joke. By answering him, you are feeding the MLS Marketing Machine. STOP IT! If they can't be honest with us, why should we bother being honest with them?

How can you have a join date of Aug 2006 and not be rated as a "BigSoccer Newbie" unless you either had a friend, or posted constantly for the first 10 days of August.

Remember: MLS just recently "partnered" with bigsoccer. They've been doing this type of thing a lot since then and its amazingly annoying.

Ask me straight up. Post a link to a survey. Send me mail/email. Whatever, thats fine. Why do you have to be all 21 Jumpstreet about it? It's offensive and shows you really don't give a $hit about anything other than making money. You have no respect for you fan base, ******** off!

17. joelfc

joelfc New Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Chicago

18. Chitown UC

Chitown UC New Member

May 31, 2006
    Chicago
    Just my two cents...

I think it's difficult to just randomly pick a team and decide to support it. Becoming a fan - at least a true fan - needs to be born of something. I've always pseudo-supported Liverpool only because my old man is from Ireland and grew up a Liverpool fan, so I was exposed to them at a young age. Granted, I'm by no means a diehard Liverpool fan the way I am of the Fire, White Sox, Bulls, Bears, etc - I don't live and die by their results - but they've always sort of been "my" team in England.

I couldn't just select a new team and decide to feel passionately for it with the snap of a finger. But maybe that's just me.

That said, if I was going to nominate a team to offer support to:

-Manchester City - It's easy to root for a team that is such an underdog in its own city and overshadowed by ManU. Oasis likes City and I like Oasis.

- Any team with Americans, but Reading and Watford may not remain in the EPL long.

- West Ham - I just liked the way they played last year. Fun team. (Plus, I have some of their dudes on my fantasy team this season.)

19. Golazco

Golazco New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    chicago
    Dude, what the f***, I am 17 years old and in no way connected to mls, I just thought this would be a cool idea for people to talk about so screw you.

20. comeonoxford

comeonoxford New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    TAKE A DEEEEEEEP BREATH...... REEEEE LAAAAAXXXX
    Dave Sarachan wont coach forever...
    Or wont he????
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

22. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    I'm also a fan of Liverpool. Gotta support the "Men In Red"! Great tradition, great field, balanced team with good attacking and good defense. All-world midfielder Steven Gerrard turned down huge contracts with soccer powerhouse teams in order to stay with the team he grew up cheering for, and routinely goes out to one of the bars inside Liverpool's stadium to drink with fans after the game. Reminds me a lot of Chris Rolfe hanging out in Section 8 while injured.

23. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In concur; screw Man U. BM sure did make a fan of me. Man U caused me to hate them.

Our EPL team to follow should be Liverpool. Definitely the best red jersey, they have a beer sponsor on their kit and they're freakin awesome. Has everyone already forgotten about their Champs League comeback last year?

24. jonnyk1569

jonnyk1569 New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Brazil, Africa

I do apologize...

I had just woken up and read the world news.

I woke up to the highlights of the DC vs Real Madrid match, and was saddened at how poor we are in comparison.

I hadn't had my coffee yet.

Sorry kid, you just were in the wrong place at the wrong time. My bad.

25. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Damn, and I was already on the bandwagon of believing that consipiracy theory.

Are we sure he is not OPB?