Fire Curt Onalfo!

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by FlapJack, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbbmmmlll

bbbmmmlll Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad they made a change even if they should have done this months ago.

Sigi is a safe choice I guess, but I have zero excitement about hiring him as the coach. His last season-and-a-half at Seattle was poor. He's had some odd front office conflicts and player conflicts. Big ego players being especially problematic. Now he's going to be working with a freshman front office that is used to working with their buddy Curt. Plus two high profile DP brothers. Curious to see how much change Sigi brings.

I feel, without any real data, that the older MLS coaches aren't adapting to the changes in the league. I don't see Sigi as a coach that innovates. I know Sigi has won some silverware, but his last MLS cup was ~10 years ago. I think his MLS cup winning days are behind him. At best he's a Supporters Shield every few years kind of coach which I think is probably optimistic. Keep in mind Yallop has the same number of MLS cups as Sigi.

Certainly, he's a big step up from Onalfo and given that we've fallen so low we've got a lot of room for improvement so things should get better.

I would have preferred Bradley. Bradley has ambition and a willingness to take career risks to push himself. He's got an amazing work ethic and seems to work well with others. I also think he would work better with the current front office and could coach for many years to come.

Oh well. I'm hoping for the best. There's still a chance we can win the MLS Cup this year.

2. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This.

All day I've had this weird feeling come over me, while at work no less. I had read the news and gone off for a bit of real work and just had this strange optimism that I haven't felt in a while.

This team is legit again with fine pieces already in place(and one coming) and now a competent guide that can give some proper direction to hopefully return us to glory.

rtdavide repped this.
  3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say your farewells. I will close this thread in a couple days once Onalfo has cleared out his desk. Then we can continue the discussions about firing our coach in the new thread.

Berks, shelbo, The Cadaver and 6 others repped this.
  4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodbye Onawfulo. Maybe coaching lower level clubs is your thing.

Beakmon FC repped this.
  5. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear there's an opening in Fresno.

6. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I was and remain in favor hiring Sigi, yet you raised a valid concern regarding burn out.

I have concerns about foreign coaches due to both managerial style (foreign being often more withdrawn and imperial) and unfamiliar with the intricacies of MLS rules, player contracts, etc). We saw with Gulitt, that foreign isn't automatically better.

7. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness to Sigi he would have almost certainly won a title as coach for Seattle if he didn't have to deal with Bruce Almighty kicking him out of the playoffs every year like clockwork.

Berks, shelbo, Papillon Soo Soo and 2 others repped this.
  8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been off for a year - hopefully enough time to recharge his batteries. I don't think he kept showing up at Stub Hub for the entertainment value of the experience. He's been itching to take this job.

The Beautiful Gamer and skydog repped this.
  9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Seattle won the Supporters’ Shield in 2015 and have 4 US Open Cups plus 1 runner up position. Their failure to win an MLS Cup was largely contingent on them coming up against the Galaxy. I don't think there's a great deal of shame in falling to what was one of the best teams in MLS history.

10. OC Galaxy Fans

Jul 30, 2009
    Placentia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's as the old saying goes, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

Berks and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  11. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AYSO?

rokstedy and JPAR repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wouldn't wish that on the kids.

Regal, MPNumber9, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  13. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that's what he meant when he said he had ambitions other than coaching just the LA Galaxy :)

FlapJack, TrickHog and TOAzer repped this.
  14. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Doesn't Barca need a new coach? What if Curt landed the gig and won Champions League? That'd be something.

TrickHog repped this.
  15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    891056658964787201 is not a valid tweet id

Berks and The Cadaver repped this.
  16. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Can't close the thread without this:

https://www.lagconfidential.com/2017/7/28/16061312/curt-onalfo-releases-statement

“The first half of the 2017 season was filled with tremendous adversity.

Significant injuries to 7 key LA Galaxy starters Sebastian Lletget, Jermaine Jones, Robbie Rogers, Baggio Husidic, Gyasi Zardes, Bryan Rowe and Daniel Steres all missed a minimum of 10 games each during the first half of the season.

Additionally, National team call ups for Gio Dos Santos (Confederations Cup, missed 7 games) and Gyasi Zardes (Gold Cup) led to more missed games.

Being so depleted makes it very difficult to attain consistent results in a competitive league like MLS.

During all of this adversity, I never made excuses, did our best to compete daily and tried to handle myself with dignity and class under tremendous and sometimes very unfair scrutiny.

I thought I had the support of management.

Despite all of these setbacks, I still managed to achieve the best road record in MLS and positioned the team to be just a few points out of playoff contention. I had planned to use the second half of the season with finally a healthier roster and a new DP to push for the playoffs and make a run toward a championship at the end.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed to not have been given that opportunity.

While I'm adamantly opposed to the organization's decision, I wish nothing but the best for the LA Galaxy club that I love and have bled for as a player in 1996 and as a coach and developer of talent from January 2011 to July 27, 2017.

"The true character of people is revealed in times of adversity"

-Curt Onalfo

[​IMG]

17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Well he’s certainly had a lot of opportunity to reveal his character in his career.

100fyers, Beakmon FC, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  18. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "No excuses"

*lists excuses*

19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Poor guy - this is the third MLS team that has unfairly fired him ...

20. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That statement did him no favors. Totally reads like a bunch of lame excuses.

21. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yep. And It's self-centered too. Nothing in there about thanks to the players for their efforts. Or sorry that it didn't go as planned and that the home fans haven't seen a single game of good soccer in person this year.

Curt is still in denial. Fact is he has a losing record and this is the LA Galaxy. There's really no need to say more.

And I feel a little bad for the guy that maybe he didn't consider this possibility when he put in for the head coach job - that maybe he would have been better off staying as G2 coach.

He was very good working with younger kids in the local area - hopefully he can find some enjoyment doing that.

Berks, The Beautiful Gamer and Geneva repped this.
  22. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Funny before the season began Curt claimed he was blindsided by management in DC & KC as well. It's never his fault, he never makes excuses, except for all the excuses he made. He's totally delusional about his ability as a coach. If three times, three different managements "blindsides you", chances are you're the problem - or as my grandad used to say about bad drivers "never been in an accident, seen hundreds"

23. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curt don't go away mad, just go away! Unfair? It's LA Galaxy not FaKeSaLtLaKe or San Posers results matter here no matter what! It exposed you as a fraud to our youth ranks they did not improve into first team quality on your watch!

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  24. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #499 The Beautiful Gamer, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Curt get the heck out of here with that It's not my fault because I inherited a team that suffered injuries crap! Buddy do me a favor and name one single coach in this league, or any league, that hasn't had to deal with injuries? Also tell me that you had Zero say in who would be on this squad before the start of the season and then maybe I will give you a pass. But guess what I can't give you a pass because you DID have say in who got cut and who got to stay KNOWING FULL WELL WHO IS INJURY PRONE AND WHO IS NOT!! You have been working with this team long enough to know this fact and you give that sorry excuse?? You are proud of that lame road record and yet can't beat the same teams at home with the same roster of guys who now don't have to deal with travel and will be in an atmosphere that is in their favor? Nobody asked you to keep pulling guys like Baoteng out of the lineup at the worst times during games where we need points! Nobody asked you to bench Rowe in favor of Diop when Rowe wasn't hurt and Diop was costing us points game after game after game. Nobody asked you to NEVER ADJUST YOUR TEAMS FORMATION when it would be abused after the other team figured it out. You are the coach and you lost the locker room twice. Klien and Pete aren't in charge of the locker room. That was your job!. That was your responsibility!! If you had any real understanding of your coaching level you would have told the them "no" when they came and offered you a job as head coach of the first team of this league's premiere club.You are a 2nd division level coach at best.That was a job that you actually had some success with coaching. No sir I do not feel sorry for you at all because you have not shown that even if you had the full team back for the rest of the season that you would have been able to turn it all around. Be greatful that you can put LA Galaxy head coach on your resume because someone will give you a job in the NASL. You will not be missed in LA or the MLS in general.

luigi-55, JPAR, rokstedy and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't enough time for any coach really, same for when he was let go by DC. Lots of them have turned it around after a season of misery. I guess. I was all in favor of saying bye to Onalfo, though, he was so very unimpressive on many different fronts. #1 - no effective defense.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.