Fire Curt Onalfo!

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by FlapJack, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he realized he came off a little too self-centered in yesterdays' interview, because today after the first team practice he told reporters that it isn't about him and about the players on the field and what they do.

Or, he's already trying to deflect any blame. :) :)

2. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Did he say ,"players win games. Coaches loses them" ? I like tha saying, but it sounds a lot better when the players are winning games.

TrickHog repped this.
  3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he's not yammering on about getting the players out of their comfort zones.

StillKickin and TrickHog repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "It's my time" is weak sauce. No one deserves to be coach because it's their turn. Just like a player doesn't get on the field just because it's his turn. That statement exudes entitlement - not confidence.

A person deserves to be coach because he knows how to help the team win games and because he is committed to working his ass off to make sure that happens. That's what I want to hear a new coach talk about.

Regal, StillKickin, GalaxyOne and 3 others repped this.
  5. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you interpret "It's my time" like that you might be right, but that's not how I read it at all. I read it as "I've learned a lot and I'm ready for this. I'll be MUCH better that I was at DC or KC." In that context it IS a very confident attitude and has nothing to do with entitlement. Is that the right context or is yours? Who knows.

6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's obviously a moot point but since there is no interesting LAG news I'll debate. I looked back and his actual quote was "“But at the same time, it was my turn.” Which is actually worse than saying my time since it's never "your turn" to be head coach. Lets just optimistically chalk it up to him not being articulate.

I just think the guy is going to be a disaster. "Why not give him a chance?" Well I'm not in charge of that - he is being given a chance. A gigantic chance - he gets to lead the marquee team in the league despite his mediocre resume. And if I'm wrong and Onalfo turns the team around and becomes the coach of the year I'll be a big fan of his and come on here and happily eat crow. I just don't expect it.

Regal, StillKickin, GalaxyOne and 3 others repped this.
  7. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that quote is troubling. Agree completely with all your points.

TheLostUniversity and skydog repped this.
  8. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Beirut and The Cadaver repped this.
  9. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cadaver repped this.
  10. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, unless he really thinks highly of Cole and rates him as invaluable to his plans in 2017. I don't see what's so hyped or controversial about that.

11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then it should have been included but this is the only quote and its pretty generic

“Ashley is just impressive all the way through. His passion for the game comes through every day. He’s a great teammate. His information that he gives to his teammates is excellent,” Onalfo said. “The biggest asset about him is his approach on a daily basis. [On Monday], he got off a flight from Europe at 6pm and showed up the next morning all in. His professionalism and his quality are really important for the team. He leads by example.”

12. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can't beat our main rival. Fire is his ass, now.

13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Methinks Emperor Onalfo will have a Curt reign over the Galaxy. He is his own death star.

14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Interesting tidbit about Sarachan's departure that I don't think anyone else has mentioned. Certainly supports the rumors about cost-cutting, although hiring a strength/conditioning coach and dietitian instead of a fifth assistant coach suggests it was also about allocation of resources and not just the overall number.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-soccer-baxter-20170211-story.html

Baysider, Geneva, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena was the GM as well as head coach, so with the hiring of Pete as GM, it makes sense to change the coaching staff. Maybe it wasn't just a "special relationship" thing.

16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    galaxydeadhead repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tell him to just hold on a little while - there will be an opening in a few months for a team located in a city with great weather and nice beaches.

19. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    LAFC?

21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    One of my big worries with Onalfo is the weight of previous failures weighing on him. Each loss will recall his past failures. I can't tell if his bluster about not being given a fair shot with KC/DC is delusion or compensation for self-doubt.

22. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Fire him. He's a loser. This franchise isn't.

generaladmissision18 and Estiv-0 repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm getting the impression that Curt's elevator doesn't reach the top floor.

24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only enjoyment I'm going to get out of this season is Curt Lolnalfo.

L.A. Native repped this.
  25. Esc-soccer

Esc-soccer Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Inland Empire, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much I didn't like the last coach this one is making me, I can't believe I'm saying this "missed him" Hope the players can pulled it together because I see nothing from the coaching staff!! and then you look across the league to Atlanta with Martino the kind of team he has managed to put together in just a few months, and Yes, is been just two games (The jury still out on this) but my question is, how can they managed to get a decent coach and we haven't? [emoji848]that's my disappointment with the FO. Makes me wonder what kind of team we really are inspiring to be!