Fire Curt Onalfo!

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by FlapJack, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    An underwhelming insider choice for a new coach. Time for this guy to go!

Also, if he's to have any chance of having any success we need to have a fire Curt Onalfo thread going strong.

Hard to complain about specific roster moves or decisions considering we've got nothing to talk about, but that never stopped us before!

Regal, L.A. Native, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  2. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    With Bradley out of work, I wonder if the Galaxy of old would have had the cache to pull something like this off: Hire Bob Bradley for a 3 month stint as technical director. His job description would be "...collect a paycheck while your thinking about your next career move, be prepared to take the head coach job if Onalfo doesn't come out like ganbusters, ... oh and offer advice and such"

TrickHog, rokstedy and xtomx repped this.
  3. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    been waiting for this thread. :)

Regal, StillKickin, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  4. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It will probably be a much shorter lived thread than the "Fire Bruce Arena!" one....;)

hav77, Geneva, skydog and 2 others repped this.
  5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulling out my magic eight ball..."As I see it, yes."

hav77, TheLostUniversity and The Cadaver repped this.
  6. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curt is so damn indecisive!

7. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #7 73Bruin, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    I agree that Curt is an underwhelming choice. He seems to be getting more underwhelming by the minute as we progress into 2017, especially with camp opening in about 3 weeks. It boggles my mind that, at minimum, they haven't found a replacement Goal Keeper coach (they may want to look up Kevin Hartman at IMG). IMO, the fact that the Galaxy haven't announced any of his assistants, probably means some combination of the following:

1) He doesn't have the coaching chops and position within the Galaxy structure to bring in his own assistants from outside the Galaxy organization.
    2) If he wants to bring in assistants from within the organization, this is causing a trickle down effect and the Galaxy are having problems finding replacements.
    3) The Galaxy are hedging their bets and looking for someone who could be used as a replacement without breaking the new cost structure.

8. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo just left the Rapids. I have a bad feeling he's going to be joining our coaching staff in some capacity.

9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kill me now

10. TruffleShuffle

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if i'm in Klein's position, i'm looking for an outside the org experienced coach to split time between G2 head coach and G1 assistant. like, highest paid USL coach level. another internal hire is getting too incestuous for my liking.
    plus
    pick whomever they deem as the best talent-developer from the existing staff to make the G2 lead assistant with a lot of responsibility.
    plus
    an experienced MLS assistant for full-time G1

it's possible that Reis continues to work with the team as GK coach with Kennedy or a non-GK coach filling in when Reis is not available.

73Bruin repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Having Kennedy as your goalkeeping trainer is akin to picking Leo as your mental coach.

luigi-55, StillKickin and ragbone repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    While I'm on a roll I'll point out that the descriptor "Kennedy or a non-GK coach" is redundant.

StillKickin and The Cadaver repped this.
  13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Since Magee just retired, shouldn't he be the most likely to become an assistant? Somebody has to groom him as a future coach.

14. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's already traded AJ. Curt must go!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

L.A. Native repped this.
  15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

FlapJack, skydog and L.A. Native repped this.
  16. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Should we make a separate thread for Vagenas?

73Bruin, WarGalaxy and Dr.Phil repped this.
  17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MPNumber9 and natfaninla repped this.
  18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lazy Assed Assassin and TrickHog repped this.
  19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    There are a lot of reasons to be anxious about how he will do and indeed to reject what he represents in terms of the direction of the Galaxy, but I think you're reading those views into the interview if you're adding it to the list. His answers are a function of the questions asked and the narrative Straus chose to pursue.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are probably right.

21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I agree. He came across as arrogant (It was my turn) and despite saying he doesn't make excuses claimed he was undermined at both D.C. & K.C.

On the other hand there are some valid points re: he was recommended by Arena, he did accept he needed to reinvent himself.

Geneva repped this.
  22. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it again more carefully. As a fan, I would like to see a bit more humility, and a bit more focus on the club and how he can help the players be better. What will he bring that other coaches can't? He did explain that he knows the younger players and he knows the club better than anyone, but that doesn't make a great coach. Motivation, tactics, hard work, man management, talent appraisal, what will be his hallmark?

When you say it's your turn, you'd better be right - just as likely to be a situation where you should go into another aspect of soccer rather than head coaching! It's like he sees the guys around him, Pete and Chris and Jovan even younger than he is, progressing, and he's part of the "club" and put in his time and it's his due.

But these guys take big risks and go out on a limb in a profession that has few opportunities and lots of failure. I don't begrudge him his chance, but he has a lot to prove right now. There's not a lot of room for stumbles at LA Galaxy, even less than at Kansas City and DC United. Not that I want them to have a short leash on him.

23. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Humility, shumility! J/K.

Seriously, in the arts and (I think) in sports the best performers all have good, healthy egos. I like it that Curt has "confidence." It's a good sign.

Geneva repped this.
  24. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think the article was that bad.

Geneva repped this.
  25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I don't have a problem thinking it's his time or turn in fact I want him to.

Geneva repped this.