Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by mateo319, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean back when we though his first name was Jesus???

CybrSlydr repped this.
  2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today MLS has an article up praising Berhalter. I would provide a direct link to it, but unfortunately the article was written by that dipshit who called us idiots.

3. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    chr1st repped this.
  5. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who?

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I still find it hysterical for Asshat Knownothing to try to pass off his lurking here as if he's watching week one of American Idol for the LOLs, instead of his real MO-- which is to get to the real updates; cogent analysis; Applebee's Waitress rumors; etc. that fills the gaps between the Pulusic signings, KHTs, and various music/food/bygone Era soccer memorials because in actuality he has no real connections or understanding of soccer as evidenced by his vacuous trite writings. He's a hack and a shill and I get more from BS than I've ever seen from his 7th percentile of MLS "journalists". Yeah sure, he's here for the comedy.

[​IMG]

Robbo Crewfan, Kyle Crew and hangthadj repped this.
  8. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire him.

chr1st repped this.
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Embarrassing performance. Kei Kamara for player/manager.

chr1st repped this.
  10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Since we are mired in another one of those very Berhalter-eque periods of the season in which we dominate possession, but drop points at home and then on the road to far inferior competition (Philly) or direct rivals (Chicago), let's fire up this baby again.

What should we talk about today? How about player identification and how long it takes the player to come into Berhalter's system.

Let's take a look at everyone's favorite DP Pedro Santos. Remember the halcyon days when the signing of Santos represented to some fans the commitment of Precourt to this club. Lol. That was great. But let's not dwell on that. Let's dwell on Pedro's (lack of) production.

Counting the playoffs Pedro Santos has now played in 20 games for the Crew, starting 19 of them. He has logged just under 1600 minutes for the Columbus Crew. In that time Santos has contributed 1 goal and 3 assists. Granted he has played better this year than last, when not throwing himself on the ground at the slightest bit of contact. But, he has not been a world beater. For an attacking DP we probably should expect more after 20 games than 1 goal and 3 assists.

Now, let's take a minute and look at league leaders NYCFC. This offseason they brought in 24 year old Ismael Tajouri. He scored the first of NYC's 4 goals last night in a 4-0 trouncing of RSL. In 336 minutes of MLS action, over only 4 games Ismael Tajouri has 4 goals and 1 assist.

Tajouri is 5 years younger than Santos, not a DP and plays a similar role on the wing or coming underneath the striker. He's made an immediate impact on his team and on the scoresheet. NYCFC is unbeaten through 6 games and sits 6 points ahead of the Crew in the standings.

What is it about Viera that he is able to bring in these players and have them adapt so quickly to NYC's system and contribute? What is it about Berhalter and his vast scouting network that brings us DP's like Mensah and Santos who are nice enough, but struggle to adapt to MLS and fail to make the impact that other teams are getting from non-DP signings?

How many more years must we put up with this?

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viera has an international name. That helps. And, if you want to point out failures--or less than adequate players--you have to look at the other side of the equation. He also found Ola--for one. Not every player a manager brings in will be a hit--but with more money, you can forget about the bad ones quickly like Real or Man City do.

12. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This brings me back to a time when I liked to debate different perspectives on our Columbus team. I 'member when . . . I thought our owner had the best interests of Columbus at heart.
    Such a simpler time.

QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ola Kamara scored in one playoff game over 2 years. He then looked at what some of the other jabronis on this team were making and asked for a raise. When that wasn't coming he asked to be traded.

It's great that every once in a while Berhalter finds an under valued gem and they contribute for a handful of games before moving on. That seems to be exactly what NYCFC has done with Tajouri. It's problematic that the one's who he has deemed worthy of DP tag, and the biggest salaries, and the cache that goes with that in the locker room have produced well below their pay-grade.

14. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    @hangthadj my favorite part about your rants is how you always tout other teams' players regular season performance, but consistently limit Ola's contributions to only his playoff goals. Fantastic stuff.

CybrSlydr and kgilbert78 repped this.
  15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This may be the last.

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thank you! I strive for excellence! But let's also point out I was initially speaking of the poor regular (and post season) performance of Berhalter DP's Pedro Santos and Jonathan Mensah.

I can tout Jozy's playoff goals if you want. I've touted Kei's playoff contributions when speaking of Columbus before. I can talk about Jordan Morris's playoff contributions. We can talk about any of those.

To be honest I don't pay much attention to other 15 goal scorers on bad teams that don't make the playoffs like Ola in 2016 to compare his regular season against. He did a little better in 2017 until it really mattered. Fantastic stuff.

17. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Here watch this)

Why are we so mean to the next US Men's National Team coach?

QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Imagine building a squad and having Adam Jahn as your back up forward.

For 3 seasons. 1 goal last season.

3 defeats in a row.

Tick tock

19. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone got a link to buy a Scott Sedley Was Right t-shirt?

hangthadj and chr1st repped this.
  20. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jahn is going to live off that ATL pk for a long time.

He’s Schoenfeld bad who got fortunate to get the game winning pk.

21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Someone needs to explain to him that penalty kicks don't count.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet Schoenfeld got a pretty nice European contract....

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To be paid handsomely in a poor league does not make you a great talent. If that was the case we would be lauding Berhalter for his signing of Mensah.

chr1st repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still--I'd not minded having that contract when I was his age....

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is perfect is that the shirt would have a typo.

Draghignazzo repped this.