Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by mateo319, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I can't believe Austin is gonna get to celebrate firing this asshole instead of us. Everything is meaningless.

chr1st and Placid Casual repped this.
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Our dream has been dealt another blow, and this one direct. Gio Savarase hired by the Portland Timbers.

In a good, true, and just world Merritt Paulson would have hired Gregg and Precourt could have still seen him when he went to Merritt's for slumber parties. He probably could have also gotten Gio cheaper than what he's paying Gregg. Alas, since Precourt is an awful businessman, we are stick in zombieland with zombie team and Gregg's vision for our final depressing season.

Go Crew.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly enough, I think I saw him play in Dublin once upon a time--might have been the USISL All Star Game.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So for the record, since the announcement of the potential move to Austin let's recap Berhalter's performance
    • He managed to devise an attack that scored a goal in 1 of 5 playoff matches.
    • He praised the owner's ambition in looking to move the team away from Columbus.
    • It's been reported that Ola and Meram are requesting trades.
    • We signed a young Venezuelan, and an old busted (but loyal) Argentine, and lost Manneh to Mexico.
    • Gregg insists that the move isn't affecting the team because they evidently don't talk about not knowing where they will play next season.
    • Morgan Hughes has received upwards of 50 time more press this offseason than our coach and Sporting Director.
    I mean, let's be real here. If Gregg is as good a coach as everyone seems to think he is, he can land on his feet somewhere if he chooses to speak out any truth about this. Instead, it's even worse than the typical Gregg speak. When no endorsing Precourt's #Ambition, his silence is a tacit endorsement of Precourt.

So I ask, what do we gain from not expecting more from our coach? More podcasts? More "engagement." Better cardigans? A signed photo of Gregg sipping water in a cardigan?

It's an embarrassment.

5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously?

kgilbert78 and KCbus repped this.
  6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that the team that won the title got shut out twice, and scored only one more goal than we did in the same number of games, right?

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is there anything in my post that was false Kyle?

Among anyone associated with the Crew, Gregg has the most secure safety net. He's managed in Europe, his national team career, his reputation as a good MLS coach, and lest we forget his brother Jay is high up at US Soccer which gives him another layer of protection.

Yet, what do we receive from Gregg? Double speak, praise for Precourt, and tacit approval of the move. It's cowardly.

I was having this conversation on twitter last night. For whatever reason fans and media think Gregg is their friend, and don't want to put him in an uncomfortable position. ******** that. There are legitimate questions that a man in his role should be asked and should have an answer for.

For example:

Nobody has asked about Columbus based academy players that could soon join the first team? Where do they stand? What does the potential move mean for them?

Is he currently juggling or planning to be juggling two different academies thousands of miles apart? Does this effect his scouting? Does the potential move change any timelines in his mind as Coach and Sporting Director for his vision of the franchise?

Look obviously some of this is on the press. They need to do a better job. They need to make Gregg feel uncomfortable. If he refuses to answer the questions, then print that he refused to ask the questions, that's not so hard.

But in the end this is also on Gregg, and his cowardice. The fans deserve more.

djtrinidad repped this.
  8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    LOL, Yes KC Bus, I am aware of your fallback line to the sad truth that we failed to score a goal in 4 out of 5 playoff matches.

Furthermore, I am also aware that the team that won the title scored 21 more goals than us in the regular season, while giving up 12 less.

I'm also aware that they finished 15 points ahead of us in the regular season.

Even more, I am keenly and sadly aware that the team that won the title chose a different game plan for their home conference final match than "play like cowards."

But yeah the one game outlier vs NYCFC, in which we scored 3 of the 4 goals against 10 men, carries the most weight.

zman31 and chr1st repped this.
  9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this is unrealistic expectations. Remembering the close links between US Soccer, SUM, and MLS, no employee of MLS in his right mind is going to go off on the league in public. That would be career suicide--unless, perhaps you were a coach with prospects overseas, and that's still quite rare for any US coach. Even if your brother does work at Soccer House.

Most folks on this board would be doing the same if it were their job on the line. This is not a whistle blower situation, as reprehensible as the machinations of MLS and FratBoy are. Barring the Modell law, what they are doing is legal. S*cky, but legal.

That said, asking about the future of the academy and about Columbus based academy players is a fair question. I'd not expect an answer, but it's a fair question. But the answer you'd get is likely along the lines of "I won't speculate about something that hasn't happened yet".

west ham sandwich repped this.
  10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The regular season does not count--except for game order--in the playoffs. Otherwise your Supporters Shield winner would also win the Cup every year. I'd also expect that TFC might have chosen a different game plan had the first leg been there.

I think the team did a superb job--given how close they came to the final. Inches, really. Much as I dislike TFC, they were one of the best teams MLS has seen. Applause to them now--but I'll boo them again this coming season.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If you think that Gregg would be unable to find another job in US Soccer by saying something along the lines, of "I have spent the last 4 years in Columbus and I hope to spend many more here. I encourage the city and ownership to work together to make that happen, " I strongly disagree.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The first leg wasn't in Toronto. That's because Toronto finished 15 points ahead of us in the regular season. Because they were the much better team. In every conceivable category Still, given to opportunity to face that team without two of their stars, in front of a packed house, Columbus played like cowards. And yes, that reflects poorly on the coach.

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    People who think that first leg performance and game plan against Toronto was acceptable, really should be banned from ever watching the sport again.

If one was a cynic, it could be suggested that Berhalter used that game plan in order to not win and keep himself in MLS/US Soccer/Precourts good books.....

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re such a goddamned drama queen.

We finished 15 points behind Toronto because Toronto was a better team. The best team in league history. When one of the teams you’re competing against is that good, there’s not much you can do.

And Columbus didn’t “play like cowards,” you whiny schoolgirl. They got shut down by a superior team that plays really good defense. IT HAPPENS. QUITE OFTEN, IN FACT.

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well, this drama queen doesn't need to resort ro all caps to make my point. But you do you. It takes all types.

I will just refer you to the first sentence in the post directly above yours. I think that sums it up.

16. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there was quite a bit of conservative play in the home leg for us. Granted, going to Toronto and only needing a goal to advance was absolutely the right play, an away goal against in the first leg would have been devastating.

So no, we didn't play like cowards regardless of what our resident hater says.

And, if that ball hadn't slid under Ola's foot at the death we would have hosted the final. Disappointing would be the word, certainly not cowardly.

west ham sandwich repped this.
  17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    They played the first leg not to lose. That's cowardly, especially with Torontos two best players being out.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  18. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm not gunna lie, seeing the bickering back and forth is a nice change of pace these days...

odave and Nostradumass repped this.
  19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leave it to hangthadj to bring out the best/worst in us...

20. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go ******** yourself.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I live to serve....

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry that seven words in caps at the end of a post is enough to offend your fragile sensibilities, snowflake. That sounds like something a schoolgirl would complain about.

23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in a two game series with away goals being a factor. The end of leg 1 was halftime and not giving up an away goal was a victory.

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Who said anything about being offended? This drama queen/snowflake/schoolgirl was admiring your penchant for drama!

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I’ll opt for italics next time.