Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by mateo319, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree mostly. However, my intent was to pat myself on the back. And also to point out that I thought Gressel appeared to be polished beyond his years in the clips I viewed. That has seemingly translated to MLS. Johnson has been getting decent minutes in a very strong Chicago midfield. His film showed a guy with incredible quickness, touch and dribbling skills, the type of stuff that guys are not likely to acquire later if they aren't already demonstrating it. On the ball he is in the mold of, but not as good, as Pulisic. Looking at Lalas, I saw a guy who looked physically clumsy. Top and mid level players just don't look that way to me. Anyway, I only spent a few hours researching before the draft. I'm sure I just got lucky otherwise I would have a different career, but I still think there is something to those first impressions I formed watching those three players.

zman31 repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got to lighten up once in a while. Beer is good for that!

Alt's ok. But I lived in Cologne--and drinking Alt if you're from Cologne is like waiving a maize and blue flag at 15th and High.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd also not discount that Gressel had pro training in Germany before moving to the states.

But, yeah, once in a while you get lucky!

I recall picking one of my lifetime favorite baseball players when he was just a rookie (and now wish my mom hadn't thrown out all of the rookie cards of his I had--though I still have all of the 1968s with bench and Ryan). It was a guy that took a couple years to be successful too:

[​IMG]

djtrinidad repped this.
  4. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #1479 ibrew, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Yes, I had read that about Gressel pre draft and that was another plus for him I thought. Similarly, Daniel Johnson was in a youth academy for an EPL team (West Ham I think). He was forced to leave (at 16 I think) not because of talent but because his parents remained in the United States and that was a violation of either a law or a league rule.

I think MLS will be the top for Gressel. But I think Johnson will see playing time with USMNT in a year or two.

5. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was a huge fan of Fritz Ackley too. :)

kgilbert78 repped this.
  6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Matchday eve bump. Gregg lived another week. Why?

chr1st repped this.
  7. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aces is on tour with Phish

hangthadj and chr1st repped this.
  8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Phish is actually only playing 13 shows this year. All in my backyard at MSG. Maybe Aces and I can share a brownie.

ZipSix, Hamburgler03 and Draghignazzo repped this.
  9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you said. Though my ideal alt is this one:

[​IMG]

ibrew repped this.
  10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Let's talk about the Kinnear firing for a moment here and look at it in relation to our current situation in Columbus.

Since 2015, San Jose has 108 points. In that same time Columbus Crew has 114 points.

San Jose is showing improvement over last season and is currently above the red line in 5th place, only two points off a top two spot in the West. Columbus Crew is also showing improvement over last season and now sits 5th place in the East, 9 points off a top two spot in the East despite having played a game more than the top 3 in the conference.

This weekend Columbus beat bottom of the conference Montreal, 4-1. Our owner Anthony Precourt decides that this showing deserves a tweet and reminds us that this win over bottom of the conference Montreal, is indicative of the potential of this team.

This weekend San Jose defeats bottom of conference RSL 2-1. Jesse Fioranelli does not tweet about the potential in the side, or talk about how they are above the red line, only 2 points off a top two spot. He fires Kinnear and replaces him with Leitch.

The differences here are staggering. Of course, Fioranelli came in during the offseason, and Kinnear was never his guy. But you look at what San Jose is doing; new stadium, partial rebrand, bringing in someone OVER the Head Coach to manage the operations here. And the message is clear in San Jose, at least from Fioranelli. Mediocrity isn't good enough.

Meanwhile in Columbus it's the same old. The owner glosses over the previous 18 months and decides the win against bottom of conference Montreal is more indicative of this teams potential than the previous 18 months. One month after speaking about how we had as many wins as Toronto and "keeping an eye on the horizon" we sit ten points behind Toronto and are treading water in 5th place. Mediocrity is accepted. Occasional 4-1 victories will be used to placate the masses.

Nobody knows if what is happening in San Jose is gonna work, but at least they have the balls to try. It makes the current situation in Columbus all the more depressing.

11. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    German beer has too much foam. Fire Greggggg

12. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

chr1st and odave repped this.
  13. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GBS looks indifferent and unsatisfied during the celebration. Like he needs more of a challenge and wants to come home.

Just kidding, sorta.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What does Gustavo do for Boca?

It would be very Crew if LAFC hires Guille and we get Gustavo.

Robbo Crewfan, Jim Bach and Tobias C repped this.
  15. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True however there are some very significant differences.
    1) DP's - San Jose has brought in at least 5 DP's during Kinnear's tenure. Only Wondo has lasted more than 1 season. There are reports that the signing of Valeri Qazaishvili, there most recent DP drove a split between Kinnear and the club. There was division on spending money on a Names player or just a good player.
    The Crew don't have that division on the team. Like it or not with Gregg being Sporting Director and Coach, the owner does not have to take sides. And Gregg's spending has been at worse even, while San Jose has been all bad.
    2) Kinnear was MLS 1.0 thinking coach. He playing too conservatively and boring. Also Kinnear would not play some of their young, exciting players enough, Tommy Thompson being the one mostly mentioned. He had no style but also seemed no plan.
    The Crew have a definite style and it is not a 4-4-2 from 2002. And the Crew have a very young dynamic team. Again for better or worse it is entertaining.
    3) San Jose has been bad for years under Kinnear. 2016 - 17th overall, 2015 - 13th overall (2014 not Kinnear but 18th overall)
    I am sure you know but 2016 - 18th , 2015 - 4th, 2014 - 7th. So is 2016 a blip or anomaly for the Crew.

"The balls to try" argument does not have a good track record. Remember when TFC was in the post season until they had the "balls to try" sacking Ryan Nelsen (and Lord Duncan) in 2014. How is RSL doing with their ballsy move? Bottom of the table. . . My guess is San Jose will have a few spastic wins, because teams don't know what to expect yet but will drop below the red line again (as LA and Seattle spend for wins).
    And I guess I am still not at that point, where ANYTHING is better than Gregg. If 2017 starts turning into 2016 pull the trigger in October and Coach Friedel and GM Ali Curtis have a nice long run to make the team their own before March of 2018.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump.

Just wanting to get a head start.

17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In God's name, why delay the inevitable? We needed three points today, but are outplayed at home and lose embarrassingly. We've all seen this so many times over the past 18 months. This franchise is lost with Berhalter as coach.

POdinCowtown and ZipSix repped this.
  18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If GB comes back next year, I'm not renewing my season tix. MLS live is 1/10th the price and i can watch the whole league.

TRUJDUB, Tobias C, foozer and 1 other person repped this.
  19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long until we start looking fondly back upon the Warzycha years?...

20. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus

To late. When the trust fund baby owner thinks there is potential with this club, he is correct. But just not with this coach and the majority of the players. Member when we were contenders?

21. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gregg would just get over himself and his ridiculous system I feel like this collection of players might actually be fun to watch. And yet all we get is 90 minutes of looped crosses to nobody. I'm so ********ing sick of this shit.

Tobias C, ibrew, foozer and 2 others repped this.
  22. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or pressured backpasses to the keeper. So sick of those. We get 3/4 of the way up the pitch only to send it allllllllllllll the way back. When your attacking mid playmaker is where a Devensive Midfielder plays, you know this shit ain't working.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  23. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus

...But...but...we did win, according to the crew page:
    Columbus (8-10-1, 25 points) out-passed and out-possessed Atlanta (8-7-3, 27 points) by margins of 449-337 and 57.5 percent to 42.5 percent, respectively.

upload_2017-7-1_22-2-3.png

This is worse than the G.A days......no more gregs please

TRUJDUB, ibrew and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, i think we have players that are good enough to compete at the top of the east, without question. They're just not being put into positions to win with 'the system' that GB refuses to change. This team has trouble defending when stretched and are deadly when quickly countering. Almost seems like we should play a more counterattacking style or something idk...

Draghignazzo and Tobias C repped this.
  25. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recommend that we put the other team's goal directly under attack when we win the ball, but I know that's crazy.

TRUJDUB and CybrSlydr repped this.