Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by mateo319, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg isn't going anywhere. He is AP's guy. Things will have to get much worse before he runs him off. I just don't see that happening. (Knocks on wood...)

Draghignazzo and redi44crew repped this.
  2. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well I personally don't feel confident that a coach can win next season if he can't win this season. Hence why a coach's team has to at least woop ass at the end of the season to keep your job if you can't be at least mediocre enough to make the playoffs.

redi44crew repped this.
  3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have the link to all the antics we put on during the sack andrulis days?

I recall years later still having the itch to drive out to (was it George Mason?) where andrulis was coaching and chant against him.

Also, I would still boo Eric Gehrig if I saw him jogging.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D I remember that..... Epic thread.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Say what you will about the Hunt family, about Andrulis, about our many incompetent GM's...that regime never traded a 26 goal scorer, while tweeting about listening to Poison, and got zero in return.

ZipSix and mateo319 repped this.
  6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Ned Flanders banned Poison. For the kids.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the idea of addition by subtraction is lost on some people...

Robbiegoal and KCbus repped this.
  8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Kei wasn't a ball hog. He scored about half our team's goals so far this season on a team that was already offensively challenged and whose defense is suspect. We may or may not have improved the locker room (Pipa and Parkhurst would probably say yes, others might say no). But we certainly haven't improved our talent on the field. We'll wait for the summer window to try addition by addition. Let's hope we find the right guy.

Robbo Crewfan and ibrew repped this.
  9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, you dont understand what addition by subtraction means, so we'll ignore that concept.

And we haven't seen the team play without him yet, so we can't even judge it at this point.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's an excellent point. Sure we have subtracted 26 goals from our team, but we have also subtracted one of the hardest workers on the team and the best defender on the box on set pieces.

Those subtractions may cause us to drop points in the traditional MLS table. However at the end of the season we shall add a "Culture Cup" to our trophy case! Addition!!! Silverware!!

eboe repped this.
  11. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the long run I would rather be known for out culture than cups. It will attract players and coaches and staff you want.

If you went to a job interview and they said to you, "The most important thing is profits. If you have a disagreement with a coworker, I am going to side with the person who brings in the most money." Would you work there? I certainly would not.

And the MLS is a parity league. The best and worst teams switch places all the time. If you are only a supporter to win or cups, I might suggest following Bayern or Barcelona. You will not be disappointed.

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Hahahahahahaha. So you want to be a Culture Club then? Does that make Berhalter Boy George?

I would sooner win trophies. Sheesh.

eboe, redi44crew, ZipSix and 1 other person repped this.
  13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    5 months ago Kamara was named MLS Humanitarian of the year and so many crew fans were posting links to the SI article talking about his journey out of Sierra Leone.

2 months ago when Kamara signed the DP deal Berhalter praised his work ethic and what he means to the club AND community.

Fast forward to this week, the Crew has gone out of their way to make sure that this same person was so disruptive, awful, and selfish that the team could not possibly carry on with him, all in the name of culture.

It's a joke, it's displacement, it's shifting of blame, it's many things none of which are good. All of those things though say more negative about the culture of Columbus Crew SC, and the lack of leadership from Berhalter and Precourt, than a striker wanting to complete a hat trick.

Jim Bach, TRUJDUB, eboe and 2 others repped this.
  14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you wanna look at it like this is fifa 16, ok. Its not though, its real life. Emotions and chemistry and whatnot come into affect.

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, it's unfortunate we have a manager who hasn't shown the ability to manage those in real life and instead ships away our team's top asset.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  16. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    he seemed to be able to manage a mediocre forward into an MVP also ran. And a mediocre MLS team to an MLS Cup also ran. Not bad for being shit at managing I suppose.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  17. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #92 ibrew, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    I am very upset with the trade which I think has made us worse. I don't understand even if you wanted to trade him why it had to be rushed. We win a few games and that alone may have smoothed things out. Plus, by not doing the fire sale, we could have looked for other options, made a better deal etc. But I think the amount of money is so large for AP and the Crew, that they weren't willing to take the chance of paying his salary for two months if he wasn't an angel.

But I don't think Berhalter should be fired. This was a massive blunder IMHO but he's mostly done good things. Plus rushing to judgment and firing him without having a better replacement would be making the same mistake we just made. You're not going to accomplish anything positive by firing him. How he manages this dumpster fire going forward should certainly be evaluated, and that will probably end up making him look pretty good. We are so bad right now, any upward movement and he'll look like a guru (and might be).

Lastly, I certainly concede that the trade of Kei might have been necessary for reasons unknown to us. But the diva stuff doesn't seem reason enough to me.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You tasted one recently, now you're a drunkard.

19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your top asset is being disruptive and making it as difficult as humanly possible for everyone else to do their jobs, he's not your top asset anymore.

C-bus, CybrSlydr, foozer and 7 others repped this.
  20. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You keep saying this about not having to rush the trade, you know that the transfer window closed at midnight Wed, right? If they hadn't moved him by them we were stuck with him until the next transfer window unless we could find an international club to move him to. MLS transfer rules is why it had to be a rush job, or we allow the problem to continue and/or grow worse. As many have said, the options sucked, but this was probably the best shit sandwich to eat, and time will be the judge of that.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  21. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I didn't like it either. And I agree about Berhalter. He needs to win a playoff game to be safe in my book (I would consider top 3 in the east as acceptable too).

Kei had me pissed off after last week. I didn't expect he'd stick around unless AP mandated he be kept. Like I said about Berhalter on other threads, he's got too much responsibility for a young coach who doesn't know exactly what he's doing. He hasn't been that great with bringing guys in, though he's found a few gems. I don't necessarily like his demeanor to the fans/media at times, but understand it and he's been pretty consistent.

My biggest problem is accountability with him. He holds players accountable for what they say, but not how they play. I don't expect him to call anybody out. But if guys are playing like shit, get them off the damn field!!! Whether it's subbing them out sooner or benching them a game here and there, he needs to change things occasionally. I imagine that it's extremely frustrating for guys waiting to get their chance on the bench. Especially one's scouted by him for his system.

My hope is he'll learn from this and grow. And get us a good 2nd DP in the summer window (or a gem player who isn't a DP)

22. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    I believe Kamara would have spent the remainder of his time on the bench or worse if the Crew hadn't traded him. Kamara was not going to make it easier for Greg to play him by apologizing or at least by trying to smooth things over with his teammates. Pipa and whoever the other players were who were upset by Kamara would have had to go. When players, employees, or others in organizations don't get along someone has to go!

Draghignazzo repped this.
  23. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    "You can't print that!?"

eboe and Draghignazzo repped this.
  24. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #99 ibrew, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Yes, I know that was the trade deadline. As I don't feel he had to be traded, I also don't feel that he had to be traded by a certain deadline. We could have traded him in July if things did not work out. Let's say everyone hates him, but he continues scoring a goal every 2 games. We could have put up with that for two months. On the other hand, if we won a few games and a couple weeks passed, cooler heads may have prevailed and it may have died down.

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to interject too much, but you do not seem to comprehend the concept you put forth in your post. If you re-read Podincowtown's post, he acknowledged the concept, filled in examples for the concept, and then challenged/changed the concept.