"Fioranelli doesn’t expect many transactions in or out of San Jose for the remainder of the window"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 16, 2019.

?

Is the current roster acceptable?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2019.
  1. Yes, playoffs here we come!

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. No but I am used to disappointment so it's okay

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. No and that is not good enough

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 SoccerMan94043, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    As I've stated in the past, I think our team last year was good enough to make the playoffs. We were (and still are) a lower middle team. The coach and little luck is the difference in the equation. Stahre was a major problem and, imo, the reason we went from middling team to the cellar.

I expect we'll compete for a playoff spot and that will be good enough for everyone to keep their jobs.

MtnGardener repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hear that "luck" can be purchased by an owner with ambition. :)

Esprit de corps is the critical component. It's harder than luck to represent in a mathematical "equation," which is why the data heads always seem to overlook it.

lazlo325 and 2in10 repped this.
  3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My selection would have been: "No, but it's not unexpected and is not good enough."

As others stated, the Quakes management believe a few improvements and subtractions from the roster along with a new coach will improve on last year. We did score a decent amount of goals last year not playing well as a team. So, first step would be getting them to play as a team and then figure out remaining holes. Logical.

So, normally, I'm a logical guy, but at this point in my Quakes "fan" career, I'm emotional. I don't want to wait 5-10 years to develop youth and team to be consistent contenders. I'm not happy with just making the playoffs. I don't want to see a "hardworking Bob" team.

Sigh.

I'm not looking to bring on big name DPs. However, to get over the existing "hole" that this team has dug, we may need to overspend to get some quality and be competitive faster while driving the youth movement. Otherwise, it's hit and miss and all I'm doing is a bunch of players run hard for 90 minutes.

Beerking and 2in10 repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I recommend re-emphasizing the tailgating. :)

Seriously, there is only so much we can control as fans about the product on the field (actually, nothing), but we can take ownership of our own enjoyment.

DotMPP, 2in10 and SeaJayBee repped this.
  5. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Disappointing to hear we're pretty much done with the roster. We still have a lot of deadwood clogging up roster spots and no big time two way presence in the middle of the field. Our central D is still vulnerable.

Imo, It all points to a very pragmatic defensive approach by Almeyda to stay in every game and not get shredded on counters. At the first sign off any defensive weakness, he'll put something tactically in place to lock down the D...then build from there.

bobby_guzman, Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For most people, you are correct. However, I'm an "on the field guy". I go to the games because of the competition. Food, drinks, Crazy George, I don't really care. Good for my wife and my kids when they were young.

Hell, they could play in a high school stadium rather than playing in Avaya and if the quality on the field is the same, I would be just as happy. In fact, I have seen the Quakes play in a high school stadium (Central Valley) game and college stadiums.

lazlo325, Beerking and xbhaskarx repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm with you, except for the quality part. Just as happy watching the Quakes play a friendly with the Bay Area amateur all-stars at PAL. If I wanted quality, I'd watch EPL on TV.

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    looks like a full 88% of our board members so far do not find the current roster acceptable. I wonder if that can be extrapolated to the entire Quakes fanbase.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides if you get drunk enough you won't remember how bad the games was.:p

10. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things with the Earthquakes in the past several years is that we rarely made deals to get quality players within MLS. Most of the attention/coverage tend to focus on foreign signings, but I don't believe you can be successful in the league without players that have proven themselves in MLS.

Beyond Martinez/Almiron, I don't think Atlanta would have been successful without players like Larentowicz/Parkhurst. I mentioned it in a different thread, but what got my attention on LAFC last year was when they made a deal for Zimmerman.

Did the FO even think about snatching players like Waston (or even Opara, who's apparently open to a move)? We've definitely seen decent MLS goal keepers get picked up by other teams in the offseason.

The pattern has been, get some mediocre (at best) players from overseas in the winter, realize they don't measure up and do panic buying of mediocre (again at best) players in the summer.

I'd like to stay optimistic with a new coach, but I won't be shocked if the team is disappointing again this season.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I count 24 total votes. I'm going to guess that it's not a statistically valid sample size.

DotMPP, 2in10 and Boysinblue repped this.
  12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    you might be right although it suggests that those who follow this team closely aren't that impressed with our offseason response to last years wooden spoon season. from what I can tell, our only hope so far is that Matias Almeyda is a legitimate miracle worker.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that this is valid. The Quakes best success was when they picked up Agoos along with a quality foreign signing in Ekelund. Add the best lower division signing ever in DeRo and getting lucky with Donovan. So, the equation is as follows:

MLS Cup Winner = MLS Veteran + Quality Oversea's Signing + Good Scouting + Luck + Team Attitude

Look right?

lazlo325 repped this.
  14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    + a good goalie (Joe Cannon/Pat Onstad!)

lazlo325 and markmcf8 repped this.
  15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about 2000 when we already had Cannon, but you are correct in general and about Pat!

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    By "follow this team closely" you mean BigSoccer regulars? That representative sampling of humanity?

For instance, there is an incredible dichotomy between the withering criticism of Avaya Stadium on this board and every other person in the Bay Area I've ever talked to about it. Believe it or not, people in the real world love Avaya. Love it. Of course none of them have probably had to endure the ignominy of the visitors' locker room, or noticed that part of the roof is missing. :)

DotMPP, SeaJayBee and Beckham7 repped this.
  17. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almeyda reiterated Jesse's thoughts.
    https://translate.google.com/transl...47734681_263347.html?id_externo_rsoc=CM_US_TW

Those would be all the movements for Los Quakes facing the beginning of 2019. Almeyda made it clear. "I am very confident with the team we fear. There were very good players, "he said about the analysis of the template he received and with which he is just going to start working.

"We're not going to add any more, we're here. We are perfect, "he said with a smile. "At the moment we will start with these players that we have," suggesting that the transfer window in the summer will probably be more active after the first part of the MLS competition .

xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After Watson, Kinnear , Stahre and the four wins last year, there really is nowhere else to go but up. If they win 8 -10 games, they’ve improved immensely.

lazlo325 repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    bobby_guzman repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #71 Quakes05, Jan 17, 2019
    I absolutely believe we have great cross section of knowledgeable, hard core fans in this forum including season ticket holders and old timers who go all the way back to NASL Quakes.
    Who else would even seek out such a forum and spends countless hours debating everything Earthquakes?
    I’d say the Avaya reviews here are pretty balanced, it’s a cool little stadium, not what some had hoped, missing certain features we expected but overall plenty good enough. Let’s hope Almeyda can work his magic and pack the house. Quakes are (again) suggesting there may be some player moves in the summer and taking a “let’s see how far we get with a new coach and a few minor tweaks” approach, hopefully that’s a strategy that packs the house, I somehow doubt it. Personally, it’s not enough for me to reconsider season tix, but who knows, maybe that changes come summertime, I hope so.

due time and Beerking repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #72 don gagliardi, Jan 17, 2019
    Of course we have knowledgeable, hard core fans on this forum, just as one would expect. But as a group we're also just a tad pessimistic because we assume the past is prologue.

2in10 repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Except that I'm the only one apparently unbothered about the visitors' locker room. :)

black-and-white-old-room-martin-soler-paris.jpg

lazlo325 and Quakes05 repped this.
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're doomed.

2019 will be a live action replay of 2018. We'll probably eek out a few more wins. We might not look quite so dire. But by week seven against the Sporks or maybe week ten against FC Cinncinati we're going to start hearing our fans boo our team.

We are no where near good enough to compete in this league. No matter how good Almeyda is, unless some of the youngsters step up and take starting jobs from the vets, we're hosed. Success becomes a habit, so does failure, and we are in the habit of failing.

It's going to be ugly.

So very, very disappointed.

go quakes

- Mark

DasMoots and Beerking repped this.
  25. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I think you’re right, Mark. This was such an important offseason and these guys have fallen short...again. It’s hard to see how Fisherball is even sustainable barring a Matias Miracle.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.