"Fioranelli doesn’t expect many transactions in or out of San Jose for the remainder of the window"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 16, 2019.

?

Is the current roster acceptable?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2019.
  1. Yes, playoffs here we come!

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. No but I am used to disappointment so it's okay

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. No and that is not good enough

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will see. This roster is straight trash right now.

2. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't help but be inspired by this blind-as-a-bat, clueless, unicorn-up-the-ass optimism of yours Don. Alright then, Go Quakes! Roster is trash as fcuck, but I might as well enjoy the games :)

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Tried editing but I fell asleep. Knew you would be the first one to comment though.....

Comparing Shea to all the players who have come and gone, you have to give him some credit. At least he is still here and that has to count for something....

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Never post while sleeping. :)

DotMPP, 2in10 and markmcf8 repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #30 falvo, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    What else should we do when talking about the Quakes?

First of all, fans like me? I was waiting for the Quakes to win something at least 25 years before you were born. Secondly, I'm not the one signing players so call Fioranelli!

As far as thinking Salinas is good or not, actually, I really don't! If you followed my posts, I stated countless times on what a crap player he is or was. Even now , I stated how mediocre he is and am only giving him credit for his longevity and still being here.

As for Vako , once again, you are welcome to believe on how great he is. As far as I'm concerned, any DP should at least try and make the team more competitive and win his club more than Four Lousy Games! I don’t know any MLS fan who doesn't believe a DP shouldn't bring that extra something and he hasn't done that.

It is my opinion that the whole team sucks. The only player who has been a bright star has been Wondo. At 36 and while he is probably entering his final season as a DP, I hope he wins something but time is running and that is a shame because he deserves a lot more for what he has done.

markmcf8, Quakes05 and Beerking repped this.
  6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not because Shea listens when I tell him what to do...or because of our Guitar Hero memories. And I do understand why some (all?) of you think he's a crap player. But there are those games where he makes a difference, plus I am guessing -- from the level of publicity he gets -- that the Quakes love his clean-cut Christian dad/family-guy image.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I appreciate Salinas service and am grateful he scored the game winner against the Galaxy. That's a lot more than most if not all of our DP's have done. With maybe the exception of Wondo and maybe Darren Huckerby in our expansion year of 2008. Come to think of it, I believe Salinas came on for Huckerby closing out the 2008 or 09 season.

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    The 2018 team scored 49 goals, not all that bad but had a -22 goal differential which is crap. Fix the defense, get rid of Magnus and we should have a much improved team in 2019.

It would be great to say we did not score enough goals and need a super striker but the reality is that we allowed way to many goals to be competitive.

MtnGardener, 2in10, markmcf8 and 2 others repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "I don’t think Shea will be here next season...."
    -- Falvo (August 15, 2018)

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It would actually be great if we scored one more goal than the other team. Isn't that the name of the game?

"If you score one goal, you should score two, if you score two, you should score three"! "Always one more", said Vittorio Pozzo!

Well he just had an operation didn't he? He will be out of the team either way.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And you're halfway home with a real left back and a goalkeeper who is not inept. Couple that with some esprit de corps and the sky's the limit.

lazlo325 repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Italian mind. Brilliant! :)

Boysinblue and falvo repped this.
  13. jnldaddy

jnldaddy Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 23, 2018
    Our front office...
    [​IMG]

Beerking repped this.
  14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County

xbhaskarx, Quakes05 and jnldaddy repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Inventors of the modern world! Forza Roma Caput Mundi! :thumbsup:

upload_2019-1-17_8-37-7.jpeg

[​IMG]

16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Salinas has been best (for years now) coming on as a left wing sub. he has blazing speed and can add a spark when we need one, unfortunately, his shots and/crosses, once he gets deep in the attacking zone, often let him down. but I think we need his veteran leadership and his energy coming off the bench.
    I give him a ton of credit for his heroic effort to try to hold down that LB position, but he's not a LB and that was obvious.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. jnldaddy

jnldaddy Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 23, 2018
    The poll on this thread needs another option: No, but the front office has constraints that prevent further changes

Idk if Danger would be considered someone with inside knowledge, but he comments around the 5:00 mark in this video that "competitive" is a reasonable hope for 2019 and "maybe" compete for the Cup in 2020. That sounds right, if not optimistic to me.

Evidently, the team can't or won't free up enough roster spots and salary budget/cap space to make really big moves going into 2019. So, my hope for the year is to see some coherent play on the field and playing time allocated on the basis of merit and/or player development.

Going forward, I want the front office to be more strategic. Find Int'l players/DPs from undervalued leagues (positive trend this offseason). Develop young talent, especially through the youth academy (maybe trending positive?). Wisely allocate the salary budget using moneyball/forever young/win forever tactics + a home run DP (starting from scratch on this one). Use the draft to develop domestic defenders (agree w/markmfc8) unless one of the few great players in a draft class fall to you (might have got this draft right?).

My wish is that the Quakes develop a homegrown player that is a valued starter on the USMNT. I loved it when Wondo was getting minutes for the nats. I want that thrill again.

Winning the 'Cup is elusive. I want it. But these other things would make me happier w/the Quakes than I am now.

Almeyda may prove the skeptics wrong with this year's roster, or maybe we make a big move mid season.

But I think we've dug a big hole that will take years to dig out of it while better run teams accelerate ahead of us. I want to see smart long term moves more than I want a quick fix.

In the meantime, just don't be friggin embarrassingly bad on the field this year. Some of those games were nearly unwatchable. A new coach should be expected to deliver that, with the current roster.

DotMPP, markmcf8, TyffaneeSue and 2 others repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What about his sky high miss from one yard out?

BeerGut FC repped this.
  20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    what about it? I said his shooting hasn't been great.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was kidding,...:)

22. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I know this won’t be popular here, and I get that patience has worn thin, but I actually think this is a good move. The FO plugged some significant gaps, let’s see where the other glaring ones are. It could be that Vako really isn’t good - but with the improvements around him, it’s his time to put up or... maybe Wondo is really past it, and having just Danny as an up front scoring threat isn’t really enough. Maybe they didn’t like the options for DPs in either of those spots. Let’s let Almeyda get this team in proper shape (at least I hope that’s with .5+ points per game), and then fill the wonder-DP role with that really needed superstar. It is unfortunate that the euro season for free agents itsnt until the summer, but we (MLS fans in general) have to live with that reality. The alternative is as others have alluded to - we spent what we have for the year and this is it. In which case ce la vie - they did their best and let the cards fall

BeerGut FC, nivla, 2in10 and 3 others repped this.
  23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, I don't know. I was always on the edge of my seat wondering when the Quakes would completely collapse and let the visiting team steal a victory in the second half.

It was painful, sure, but a lot less mind numbing than anything Kinnear ever produced.

due time, Beerking, markmcf8 and 3 others repped this.
  24. jnldaddy

jnldaddy Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 23, 2018
    Agree, it was much more entertaining than Dom ball. We had more than one goal in multiple games last year!

25. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone thinking about playoffs keep in mind 7 teams will qualify under the new format we are guaranteed to finish closer to the playoffs this year compared to last year.

Right now in the Western conference I'd say we're looking around spots 6-9 depending mainly on how well other teams like Dallas and Vancouver rebuild.
    Worse than: Seattle, SKC, Portland, LAFC
    Probably worse than: LAG, RSL, FC Dallas
    Not sure: Houston, Vancouver
    Probably better than: Colorado, Minnesota