Findley and Bornstein?

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by roboatse, Nov 24, 2010.

1. roboatse

roboatse Member

Oct 4, 2010
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I'm not trying to troll but can some of you portland folks explain this?

2. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are banking on both of them coming back from Europe/Mexico.

Findley is the safer bet, since his future is still undecided. Bornstein to Mexico, on the other hand, always seemed like a done deal...

3. Andrew Jackson

May 24, 2010
    Oxford, Miss.
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a very new Portland fan. So I'm not actually sure what our front office is about. I've heard that if Findley or Bornstein decide to come back, then we get to keep them with no re-entry draft if it is within two years (likely that at least one of them does) It's also very probable that we took these guys as deals with RSL and CUSA. Both had pretty good players exposed and we closed the expansion draft for both of them. Maybe we're looking at Allocation money, A draft pick, or an international player slot out of the deals.

4. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Personally, it seems like an unnecessary gamble.

5. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the gambles, but they're dumb. Instead of drafting a player that can offer depth, they are hoping that Findley stops sucking after 1 year in Europe and Bornstein comes back soon?

6. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously, especially gambling on players like findley and bornstein, neither of which have incredible all-world talent that would necessitate these decisions. especially when there was plenty of quality talent available to choose from.

having watched findley for years, im still scratching my head on that decision. findley doesnt have the technical ability to be effective on a small field with turf. sure he is fast, but it doesnt me jack when he cant control the ball once he gets to it and make something happen. just a waste of two picks overall. bornstein in my eyes has always been overrated.

7. Andrew Jackson

May 24, 2010
    Oxford, Miss.
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order for Findley and Bornstein to fail, they'll have to play worse than we already do. What's the value of a poor form Findley or Bornstein?

It's negative if they are on the field. They both have the potential to single-handedly beat their own team.

8. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, there is only downside to these picks. instead of portland signing any one of the many gifted and useful players available at the time they picked to average MLS players who may not even play in MLS again....of course with "an eye for the future."

uhhh, you need to build a team now gavin. why are you even half concerned for whats going to happen in 10 months from now, let alone 10 years from now.

he follows this up by trading anthony wallace back to colorado for allocation money, after he trades Dax and allocation money to DC for Rodney Wallace and a 4th round superdraft pick. (waste)

then he trades alturo alvarez to RSL for a 2nd round superdraft pick (waste).

i really gotta question what Gavin is doing right now. he's made a whole slew of stupid decisions in the last 6 hours. believe me, i know a stupid ass decision after suffering through the early seasons at RSL. they set the benchmark for retarded FO moves in their first 3 years.

9. Andrew Jackson

May 24, 2010
    Oxford, Miss.
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to rely on international talent. That didn't work out for Toronto FC who essentially threw away their expansion draft. They also haven't gotten to the playoffs yet.

Philadelphia and Seattle proved that there is some serious value in the Expansion draft.

10. roboatse

roboatse Member

Oct 4, 2010
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you trade away McCarty? What does your FO have up its sleeve?

11. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we have an extra international slot too....

these two findley most likely will play in portland...but bornstien goes over gives us an extra slot were we retain his rights indeffiantly....money ball pickes.

rumors is striker from SA or europe...

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    probably another Young Colombian lol :p