Finding my English Club and the options all lay in the Championship.

Discussion in 'Championship Clubs' started by Aztattooedsean777, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unlike many, I never had the urge to go with any of the top 4 in the EPL. I started to look through the many other main stays up there and for one reason or another, I never found any of them pulling me towards them as a supporter.

I didn't have the advantage of possibly having family ties in any particular city that might make me feel obligated to follow in the family's long time support of a particular club.

After 2 seasons of non stop watching of matches in the EPL, Championship, and even some in League One, I have it down to 4 possible clubs with one probably surprising some due to their not so pleasant history amongst some of their fan base.

They are Queens Park Rangers, Millwall FC, Norwich City FC, and Nottingham Forest FC.

I am continuing to try learning more about the history of the club, the ownership, style of play, Atmosphere created by their supporters both home and away,what is like to experience a whole day in and around the stadium on match day, and anything else that might pull a new lifelong supporter into their fan base.

I know most would automatically say the worst about Millwall. There are some aspects I do find interesting about them but be it Millwall or any of the other 3 clubs, I am curious about anyone's opinions about any of these clubs for and against.

I am ready to have that English club that calls me one of their own through thick and thin be it tough years getting relegated and being in League One, many decent but not good enough Championship years, or that amazing step back up to the Premier League where fighting for survival is followed by possible stability and where ever the future may take them.

2. Neeley915

Neeley915 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Milford, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see more people are beginning to root for a team that isn't a front-runner countinuously. Though as a West Ham supporter I couldn't even begin to comment on how much I hate Millwall, I'll respect it and give you insight on the others.
    I like yourself had this same issue with picking a team. I even tried supporting Birmingham City for a season. Then I went back, as I hadn't made a commitment to them and it didn't feel right to me. I looked at EPL sides and obviously chose WHU, but I am currently looking for a Championship team to support as well as my second euro club, (I'm MLS first).
    Norwich FC is a great club I've learned from watching some of their games, the fact they have a young American defender also shows they may be willing to acquire more American players which is a great boost to the club your supporting I think. They also have a very good fanbase I think.
    QPR is also another interesting club, I like their roster, it's full of players from all over. Which to me, is interesting to see how the style of play would blend and come together. Though I can't say I've really watched too many games of theirs.
    To be honest I know little of Nottingham Forest, there's nothing to grab my attention to them I feel. Other than an interesting name. Sorry to rant and be sort of vague, but I thought you may want another opinion as I could relate.

Just don't support Millwall.

3. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Definitely would pull my hair out, if I had any on my head, if I had to sing that bubbles song nonstop each weekend.

It isn't even going against a front runner as I haven't even seen a middle of the table club that had pulled me in.

That is where I thought I might go the Championship route to check out clubs as I like how it isn't all money down there. That said, one would hope that one's club would eventually make it to the Premier League and then obviously money is a nature of the beast.

I do enjoy Norwich City in trying to play attacking football. They are definitely on opposite side of the stereo type of Millwall/West Ham in it supposedly being a family like atmosphere at their home matches. I do say that I dig those bright yellow and green kits although that makes me sound like a 10 year old picking his first club.:p

I am definitely not going to pick a club based on an American player or two joining the club as players(American or not) come and go while the supporters remain through thick and thin.

England for whatever reason is the only country that I have had this struggle to find that club that pulls me in. The German Bundesliga is my top league.

Thanks for any comments, I appreciate it. :cool:

4. Neeley915

Neeley915 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Milford, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good, I understand your predicament, actually helping a friend decide on a club as well. Yeah Iron fans are a bit hardcore....especially with the Millwall game last year, or any other London club really. Understandable. Best of luck to you and your chosen club!

5. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    the odd thing is that I am not knew to the sport or the various leagues as some. I have been following the sport since the early 80's when I started playing.

I am just so glad we have more access to watching the various leagues over there on tv now although my cable network hasn't picked up FSC plus yet so I can't watch the weekly matches from the Championship. I can stream a few though.

6. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Again, anyone with any information positive or negative about any of the clubs I mentioned that goes beyond just wikipedia type stuff would be most valuable and appreciated.:)

I would definitely rather enjoy a club with a good atmosphere and one that enjoys playing good football. If any of these clubs prefer playing the style of Blackburn and Stoke, they can be eliminated right away. I don't like hoof football.:rolleyes:

7. R&DFC

R&DFC Member

Mar 26, 2004
    England
    Of the clubs you have mentioned I would be pulled towards either Nottingham Forest or Millwall, both for completely different reasons. Nottingham Forest are one of the legendary clubs of English Football who have fallen on hard times but are potentially on their way back up. If you support them you have a wealth of history to delve into, countless legendary players, and of course the Brian Clough years.

Millwall on the other hand are a team that you need to love to support. Never particularly successful and tarred with the reputation of being England's most brutal and violent supporters if you're going to support them you're going need need passion for them. It would be some experience to step into The Den for the first time as a supporter and I would imagine, especially if it is on derby day, an experience you will never forget. Be prepared for heart-ache, frustration and the knowledge that as a Millwall supporter you need to be of a certain mentality.

8. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Thanks for the input! Growing up just north of Detroit, I was a Lions fan of another sport and I have unfortunate knowledge of what it takes to support a club fully through very bad times.:p

I see that Millwall is one of the few clubs who has had a Yank owner that has done a little more good than bad unlike some of the other English clubs that have had a Yank up top.

9. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I appreciate any coments or input.

It does make it interesting as with all the ongoing research, checking out forums, and trying to stream as many of all 4 club's matches,etc.

10. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am also curious about clubs that play certain styles of play. Currently in the Championship, which clubs would one say consistently play attacking football.

On a side note, it is refreshing to see clubs like Blackpool and West Brom hopefully both sticking around up in the EPL as not a big fan of clubs that enjoy playing long ball.

11. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I will say that I am still researching to see which club pulls me in rather than me selecting them.

QPR, Leeds United, Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, and Millwall are the most interesting to me for different reasons.

12. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i am in the same predicament. i had no trouble with italy & france, picking the teams where my roots are from. but i have never found an England team. i love arsenals style of play & most of their players, but for some reason i just dont feel like iv become a real fan. i love underdogs so i guess thats why ive been researching non epl teams too. who would u say plays longball style in the EPL becuase im not sure who you're talking about, i dnt get to watch much non serie A or mexican league football often

13. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Blackburn and Stoke City would be examples of long ball. Actually, 2 clubs that I have found playing nice attacking style football that seem to be pulling me in for further research are Norwich City and Watford. Watford currently are co-goal scoring leaders in the English Championship.

I went on a Watford forum to find out more and they mentioned to Americans from California already on their forum which is wild as they aren't exactly a club that most would know over here.

If one likes Arsenal style of play in preferring to pass along the pitch, both of these clubs seem to enjoy playing somewhat that style.

14. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    what does long ball look like tho like i dont understand the names of all the different styles, iv never played organized just in parks lol. i mean long should be self explanatory, but enlighten me ;)
    and is there a place to stream watford games ? they intrigue me

15. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Well, Barcelona are the total opposite of long ball in that they prefer to pass short passes across the grass.

Long ball clubs usually have taller players and might have a little less talent skills wise but they make up for it by making long passes through the air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_ball

As for Watford, they are a young club and are playing above themselves according to their hardcore supporters I have chatted with already. Their main goal coming into this season was to just stay alive in the championship so anything else would be a bonus.

http://www.wfcforums.com/
    http://www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum/
    http://www.watfordfc.com/page/Home/0,,10400,00.html

As for streaming, I am still searching regular matches myself. I will update here to let you know.

I will say at least when it comes to English football that I find the championship very interesting as there isn't some top 4. Sure going into each year, there are always a few favorites picked to possibly be promoted to the Premier League but in general it is an open race each weekend.

In a way, that is why I love the Bundesliga in Germany.

16. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    West Ham are a decent Championship side. :p

17. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am quite pleased to see QPR going up just for the wish that they might sneak some points off of Chelsea who they hate so much.

I am especially pleased to see Norwich City become the first club in 20 years to get promoted two seasons in a row. Very exciting attacking football club.

18. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Man City did it in 2001, but yeah, still a very good achievement from Norwich.

If you want a club that plays possession attacking football then look no further than Swansea.