FIFA World Ranking

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by jonny63, Mar 17, 2006.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which was at home...it makes a difference. Germany was only ahead of the US by 3 points, so the US played 4 games as opposed to 1 plus 2 of those games being away was enough to make up the difference. And its still close...the US only leads Germany by 7 points. Without doing any math, I believe its possible that Germany could retake #1 if they did well in the Euros and the US did poorly in their summer friendly tournament; someone with some number crunching skills can tell me if that's true.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I like that Chile rose 3 points and gained 76 spots in the ranking.

blissett repped this.
  3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    don't like how they do that when a country re-enters the rankings.

blissett repped this.
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA uses an Elo-type system that does not take into account who is and is not on a roster. If you imagine having to take roster makeup into account for every team in every game, you probably will see why.

BlueCrimson and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on rough back-of-envelope calculations, I think England surpassed France in the ratings & may sit a mere 21 points or so behind Germany. Estimated new ratings of Euro teams:
    Germany 2076 (loss of 35 points in tournament)
    England 2055 (gain of 31 points)
    France 2029 (-47)
    Netherlands 1949 (+31)
    Sweden 1937 (-19)
    Denmark 1922 (+50)
    Norway 1867 (-57)
    Spain 1847 (-38)
    Italy 1837 (-4)
    Switzerland 1837 (-21)
    Austria 1821 (+75)
    Iceland 1787 (-42)
    Belgium 1776 (+20)
    Scotland 1775 (-13)
    Russia 1752 (+14)
    Portugal 1619 (+29)

Also posted at Equalizer

This only takes into account games at the Euros through the quarterfinals and not any friendlies played just before the tournament.

At the moment I think Netherlands is in the top 10 for the first time that I can remember and Sweden is out

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, people, who's going to calculate how many positions Netherlands will climb up with their victory at Euro 2017? Will the fact that they were at home take away some points from them? :cautious:

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current top 10, minus the final factored in, are USA, Germany, England, France, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Japan, Brazil, Korea DPR. So the results of the Netherlands propelled them into the top 10. I don't think the final will be enough to send the Netherlands up to 6th, but a top 10 spot is still pretty good.

kolabear and gricio61 repped this.
  9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without calculating results outside of the Euros, my back-of-envelope calculations show Sweden winding up at #11 and Denmark at #12. The Euro results will be weighted more heavily than any other results during this time period.

Naturally, as the team on the hot streak winning the tournament, it wouldn't be surprising if Netherlands starts coming down to earth again sometime soon, but I don't think their success was too much of a fluke. Rated 1918 (and ranked #12) coming into the tournament, they were not far behind Japan (1981), Brazil (1976), Australia (1971), Sweden (1956) and No. Korea (1949). While obviously they went on a hot streak (aided by playing in front of an enthusiastic home crowd), they seem to have cemented their position as a 1900+ team and perennial top-10 candidate

SiberianThunderT, gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding homefield - yes. The ratings account for homefield. In essence, home games are treated as if the visitors' ratings are 100 points less than their official ratings.

blissett repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    kolabear repped this.
  13. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    USA and Germany still on top... hope they improve their play, because what I've seen of them has been dissapointing...

happy with the Dutch!

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England, France, Canada, Australia all within 20 points. That's also basically nothing!

15. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Even though they're still #1 and #2, they're both at their lowest ratings ever, so perfectly normal to be disappointed in them versus what we're all used to seeing! Goes to show that the two juggernauts of the women's game are finally getting caught up to as other teams keep chipping away at those points...

blissett repped this.
  17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was wondering if there's ever been a time when 6 teams were within 100 points of first place. A match between top-rated US and 6th place Australia in Australia would be considered a toss-up

blissett repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Maybe not the top 6, but just a quick browse of the FIFA historical rankings has #5 within 100pts of #1 for the first two rankings (July and August 2003) but it drops off quickly as you go ahead, to the point where only #2 is within 100pts of #1 from June 2005 to June 2008!

Brazil enters the top 3 after that and keeps #3 within 100pts of #1 from that point until 2012. We quickly had down to #5 within 100pts in 2011 for a couple months, but USA's rise in 2012 chopped off all chasers except #2. #3 and #4 momentarily rejoined the chase in 2014, but it quickly went back to just #2.

#3 has been within 100pts of #1 since August 2016
    #4 and #5 have been within 100pts of #1 since March 2017
    #6 came within 100pts of #1 for the first time ever just this month.

kolabear, cpthomas, JanBalk and 2 others repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If it wasn't for the France 1-0 England friendly, I believe England would currently be #2 in the world ahead of Germany. They were exactly 40pts apart at the last ranking; looking just at qualifiers, England gained a handful of points against Russia, while Germany lost 30+ points to Iceland and I'm certain lost a couple more points between their other three matches recently even though they were all wins. But add in the loss to France and England gets knocked back down a handful of points, too. Of course, England has two more matches before the next rankings come out, so their position relative to Germany in the ranking depends on how well (or not) they do in those.

Actually, considering France's win over England and Germany's slips in qualifiers.... maybe France is currently #2 in the world? I'd have to be more exactly instead of doing back-of-the-envelope stuff since France was 7pts further behind than England was...

blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Did France gain anything from their latest 8-0 win vs Ghana or, given the home factor, the difference in rankings and the fact that it was just a friendly match, 8-0 was exactly what was expected, so no points for them? :cautious:

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I read this thread and I got all excited, but then it dawned on me this is the Ladies ranking, not our pathetic Men's ranking.

*sigh*

blissett and lil_one repped this.
  22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry. We US fans understand that feeling perfectly. :mad::sick:

However, since I am a fan of both our MNT and WNT, I don't have a problem with just following the women's team and taking a break from following the men's over the next couple of years.

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    France only lost one game this year,whereas the higher rated Germany & USA lost three. As you mentioned, they beat England in a recent friendly while using several newbies in their starting lineup, but then again Sampson's brilliance in setting a strong, high press was surely missing in that game, Until they find a new coach, I think they're going to be slipping. I also don't think there's another country out there(minus the US) that's got so many quality that are NOT on the current NT. If you look at the NWSL;, Daly, Dowie, Galton & Sanderson(last year) all played very exceptional, yet failed to make the Euro squad. whereas Brynnsodttir played a monster game for Iceland vs Germany(2 goals, 1 assist) yet failed to score in 540 minutes of playing time with the Thorns, this season. Plus quite a few WSL players didn't make the squad as well; Chapman, Mead, Lawley

btw..........Germany will play France in November with unconfirmed reports that Stefi Jones better win, other wise she'll be fired.

And then you got the up coming Canada vs USA match up; unfortunately with Herdman, life is a box of chocolates, you never going to know what your going to get till he bites......will he bring in another set of teen poppers & surely loose OR co-ordinate his best players into a lean, mean & might add, physical fighting machine? But besides his team being semi dormant, Herdman works better in tournaments. So hence, look for the US to stay on top.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah, I forgot about the upcoming France-Germany game! (It wasn't listed on FIFA's site in the country-by-country results+schedule pages I was using yesterday like upcoming qualifiers were.) Yeah, if Germany wins, they'll stay #2 for the December rankings update; if they draw, I bet they'd be #3 behind France; and if they lose, Jones is certainly out of a job since Germany would almost certainly be #4 behind England as well!
    Roughly speaking, you have France at somewhere around 2130 (home field) versus Ghana at 1499, a difference of over 600pts, so the expected result for France is ~0.974. And 8-0 game is an actual result of 0.990, so France did finish better than expected. But the 0.016 difference gets multiplied by a K-value of just 15, for a grand gain of 0.237 points... So it was essentially meaningless. However, their victories of England and Spain (the latter of which I also forgot about) will likely have pushed them up to #2 depending on their upcoming result versus Germany.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A little over a week until the next ranking comes out... Considering the smackdown Germany gave France, I don't think spots 2-4 will have changed, and I also predict no movement among the top 9 either. I will bet, though, the Sweden has rejoined the top 10 at North Korea's expense: #11 Sweden had (officially) a 3-0 win over #12 Denmark (in qualifying, x3 weighting) while #10NKorea lost 0-2 to #9 Brazil (friendly among top 10, x2 weighting). I'd have to run exact calcs to see if there was 5-9 shuffling, but just from a cursory glance I'm betting not. Elsewhere in the rankings, I'd bet China drops a couple slots, except they have a few matches before the rankings officially come out, as do Japan and the Koreas...