FIFA World Cup 2018 Preparation [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GoYoungrokba, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Yeah. I personally liked him when he was leading U20 before STY.. But I just think he needs more time and exp..

2. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I really don't get the ongoing Hiddink talk.
    STY has got his job done and earned his spot at the WC despite of having miserable games against Iran and Uzbekistan.
    Everything should be played by contract, nothing else.

3. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    I also dont understand why ppl are expecting STY to change the team drastically when he had only 15 days of training with players. I think it's not too late to criticize him severely after watching a few friendly matches.. But I still dont really have high expectations lol..

4. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    By that logic Ulishit should have stayed until the end of his contact. :rolleyes:

Ice cube and Seol Korea repped this.
  5. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice to see Koreans have forgiven HMB.

6. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    It's not that. Of course it was a difficult job to begin with. I am thankful for what he did and for not completely fcking up.
    But STY has shown in his past few games as the senior NT manager as well as the U20 manager and Olympics manager, that he still has a lot to learn. He basically failed with the golden generation at the U20 WC because of his tactical errors and experimental changes.
    He brings much more than Stielike imo. Maybe some of you won't accept that, but I think he's got potential. But he's by miles not ready to take this team to the WC. To experience that as an assistant coach under an experienced manager would only do him well. I know it'd take guts to let his pride down and give up the manager post. But at this moment, he's only harming himself if he thinks he can handle the WC. His career will be affected like HMB's and he'll get thrown away by his KFA buddies as soon as he fails at the WC. I don't want him to end up like that. Better learn by a master and become better and your time will come.

7. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Most of us here didn't have a problem with HMB. We were pissed however with the way KFA handled it.

Seol Korea, Sons of Thunder and Ice cube repped this.
  8. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    It was a complete fck up by the KFA and it looks like the history repeating itself...

9. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

I think we'll stick with STY. The best hope is that STY will pull the usual win in the first game and regress afterwards akin to Olympics and U20 world cup. Give him time to prepare and schedule some beatable friendlies (not Spain) to boost some confidence. Our performance for the WC tend to mirror the friendlies we have right after. Kind of like McGregor sparring with Paulie and some random MMA dude instead of sparring an active boxer. Confidence will be important for the team and for STY. We can't have STY being scared like he was for the qualifier.

As far as tactics go, STY seems to pull a random one out of a hat. Thus, I won't go too in depth about it. However, I think STY does tend to hit the jackpot for the first game (u23/u20 etc). After that he never tries to build upon the said tactic and pull another random tactic right out of the sorting hat which tends to be progressively worse game after game. But that's not important. If we somehow end up in an easy group and we face an easy opponent as our first opponent we might luck it out with a win. If we somehow get one win, I'll consider that a successful WC campaign.

Minus the tactic, I really hope STY picks the right players. As far as defenders go, I hope Kim Minhyeok and Jeong Seunghyun get tried out. Full backs are a big question mark. Midfielders I'm not too worried about as long as everyone is healthy. Strikers might be a problem but I hope Ji Dongwon stays healthy and hopefully Suk Hyunjun start picking up. Hopefully Lee Seungwoo has a decent season as well, I think we need a player like him.

This is possibly the best case scenario, not the most possible one.

10. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    All coachable things really. Hiddink probably thinks that there is a great opportunity to transform this team, since he believes that they are massively underperforming due to mental and tactical reasons - all of which are things he can fix.

I'm not surprised that Hiddink wants to manage this team. He's a shrewd man, and he's recognized this as a low risk, high reward opportunity to retire in glory.

chook90, Hodori, Sons of Thunder and 2 others repped this.
  11. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
  12. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Damn I'm getting old. Time flies. Approaching 4 years already since Brazil?

Can't wait!

chook90 repped this.
  13. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The World Cup Draw is the most exciting day for me.

14. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Nevermind, Hiddink won't become our manager, it's 99% sure

15. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    When is it?

16. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    예의 같은 소리하고있네.. 그럼 명장이 대표팀을 도와주는게 예의가 아니면 한국 축구를 말아먹는게 예의라고 생각하냐?

호르곤 너나 잘하세요.. 넌 예의 같은 소리할 자격도 없음.

aeh1991 and Ice cube repped this.
  17. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wtf is KFA thinking? Hiddink should be a no-brainer.

1. His reputation wouldn't be affected at all. He's coming into a shit situation and everyone knows it. As someone mentioned we've hit rock-bottom with our tepid and under-performing displays over the past several years. There's nowhere to go but up. Besides, his rock-star status in Korea would be hard to dent no matter what. It's like the established comedian rolling out weak material and still making people laugh because 'that dude is hilarious.' And when he does bring his A-game you know he's bringing the house down.

2. His arrival would be an instant morale/confidence boost. He would get 110% commitment from his players from the word go, and anyone who has led or built any sort of team before knows that buy-in is critical to success. Can you tell me Son trusts(ed) STY or Stieleke as much as he does Poch? Not a chance in hell. Ki wouldn't dare post any backhanded SNS comments in secret either, not because he can't but because he wouldn't want to. Hiddink would command ultimate respect from his squad and I don't think we've had that in a while.

3. $$$ I thought KFA were money-hungry bastards. He's offering himself for cheap AND the narrative literally writes itself! This is a license for KFA to print money and they're looking the gift horse in the mouth. Really sums up what they're all about.

aeh1991, chook90, TaegukWarrior and 2 others repped this.
  18. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's the same problematic mentality that grew over the course of 2002. The KFA at that time have become delusional over and after the course of the 2002 WC into believing that Hiddink solved all of Korean Football's problems and that his services were no longer needed. They not only believed that they had figured out what and how to do, but also believed that because the KNT placed 4th at the world stages there were no problems and that the KNT was strong, hence Coelho getting sacked from the Oman, Maldives, Vietnam shock.

And, now it's the same thing all over again especially considering Kim Ho-gon is the Technical Director, the very man that bad mouthed Hiddink. They are trying to downplay Hiddink's willingness to help the KNT by plastering excuses through the media from "Cannot afford Hiddink" to "Hiddink's comment isn't courteous towards Shin Tae-yong" (They did the same thing to Gunes before the 2014 FIFA World Cup). It's to no surprise given the track record of the KFA slapping the helping hand, they believe that they have everything figured out.

aeh1991 and killaorca repped this.
  19. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Guus is WIN-WIN not WIN-LOSE. absolute no-brainer but atm, moot talking about or dare dreaming about his appointment with our Fed'n.

20. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Jesus christ KFA just hire guus hiddink and let me cream my pants already

chook90 repped this.
  21. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Shin said he will play attacking football at the WC but I favor defensive tactics.

22. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    just seen vid of france 4:0 netherlands

france has like 3-4 of players of SHM caliber

in my opinion we cant play offensive against euro teams

23. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I believe France have 3-4 players above SHM's caliber.

Kanuck repped this.
  24. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    as soon as you mentioned "Korean Media", i stopped reading

Kanuck repped this.
  25. komina12345

komina12345 Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Some one throw a piece of burning shit at the KFA headquarters. It'd be nice of us to add another member to their board.

Kanuck, chook90 and doraemon repped this.