FIFA Soccer 2004 info

Discussion in 'Games' started by olckicker, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking at the PS1 version of FIFA 04 tonight, thinking of saving a little money, until I looked at the back and saw that it doesn't have a career mode. Only PS2 does.

Here's a stupid question, but I'm brand new to Playstation (after years of playing the FIFa titles on PC)...I take it that there's no way to download these patches and use them to "fix" the PS2 version.

2. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, if only the EA guys were as creative as you. This game would be even more fun than it already is.

I always thought it would be funny to have f'ed up things like that happen to your team. Like, if you started kicking ass with Wyoming on NCAA 2004 Dynasty Mode, you get slapped with major recruiting violations and get forced to resign and retreat to the lower reaches of I-AA to rebuild you career... :) I don't think the licenseing leagues would be too thrilled, though!

3. MarkA

MarkA New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    SoCal
    That is correct.

4. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    I think you mean Southern Methodist

5. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Another question; If I spend some amoutn of money on looking for transfer people, do I get that money back the next week, or do I lose it altogether, until next year?

6. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get money depending on how well you do in your league/cup/Euro competitions. So...
    no.

7. dig.palabra

dig.palabra New Member

Mar 5, 2000
    KCMO
    I spent way too much time playing this game over break and can now answer some of the lingering questions in this thread (although, I imagine most of you have figured this stuff out by now).

-To sell a player, you should put him on the transfer list, and then check your team news each week to see if anyone is interested. Then to make the negotiate/make the sale, go to the transfer market, go to your own team, and select the player you wish to sell. As you cycle through the options, "negotiate with blank" will appear; select it and an offer will be made. -Note: sometimes teams offer 0.0, so be weary before accepting. -Sometimes, teams will show interest in non-transfer listed players (your weekly team news will tell you if you cycle through the screens), but transfer listing guys you don't want increases the liklihood of offers by a factor of 10.

-The second bar (the green one) under a player's training profile is the progress he is making towards improving, the higher the green bar, the closer he is to moving up one number in that stat. -Note: I think the "skill" catagory is a the same of an "overall" catagory, and it will increase slowly as other attributes improve. -You can get the green bar to start growing by using individual training on the player (the different training catagories will effect more than one attribute, and some players seem to learn faster than others).

-IMO, the best way to pick up players on a budget is to puruse the transfer listed players from other teams. The big teams will, over time, transfer list some pretty good players, and if they are transfer listed, you can get them at or slightly below cost rather than paying 1-2 million more than what they are listed at. -Note: if you really want someone who is not transfer listed, adding about 40% seems to be the magic number, but also note, teams will rarely sell their best or second best player.

-That being said, even though not transfer listed, Taylor Twellman, at .5 million, is an absolute steal no matter what level you team is playing at (-and no, I'm not a Twellman fan in real life, he is accidently listed as a CB and in that regard, his stats suck, but as a forward he has amazing stats and seems to a have a better-than-his-numbers knack for putting the ball in the net; hence, the mix up has led to a very low dollar-value and a great oppotunity for managers seeking to escape the lower divisions on a budget.

-Note, when you make a bid, you lose those prestige points whether your bid is accepted or not; so unless you have a lot of time to work out the deal, its best to only make offers that have a good chance of being accepted (this is again, where the predictability of transfer listed players comes in handy).

-Also, if you want to have anyone you want, just adjust the rosters and save it before starting the career mode. -That way you could build whatever all-star squad you want.

-This wasn't asked about, but is useful for those taking on long campaigns. This game does a decent job of keeping track of fatigue, and players get hurt accordingly. I learned quickly that it is helpful to mind your players' fatigue ratings and sit them out of not-too-important-games. -That being said, this will make me sound ignorant but what is the EFA tournament? -My team qualified for it, and I don't even know what it is.

8. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    i think the efa tournament is the fifa 2004 version of the uefa cup.

9. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    aka UEFA cup

10. dig.palabra

dig.palabra New Member

Mar 5, 2000
    KCMO
    UEFA = EFA

-Ah. -Yes, that makes a lot of sense. -So is EFA just meant to be short for UEFA, or is there some sort of licensing problem? -No need to really answer that one; I'm just trying to hide the fact I'm too dense to notice something so obvious.

11. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have a couple of questions about the ps2 version. i am trying to transfer list my players and i can't seem to do it. is it only possible to list players when the transfer window is open? also, i am looking ahead at my schedule and trying to figure out when my first f.a. cup game is. i am playing with wycombe in the second division and i can't seem to find it. does it pop up later on? i am in late november and i figure i would at least see it on the schedule. i should have to play one round at least before the january 3rd round (when prem teams come in to it). thanks in advance for the help.

12. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to your stats page, and look under the "Tables" category. It will list the pairings for the League and FA Cups. That should let you know who, and when you are playing.

13. dig.palabra

dig.palabra New Member

Mar 5, 2000
    KCMO
    -and when my new season started, I checked the FA dates, and my first game isn't until Jan.6. -I think the game just automatically places you into the first round that Premiership teams play in regardless of whether your team is currently in the Premiership (I'm currently in the second division).

-I don't know about PS2, but on gamecube, you can transfer list a player at anytime.