FIFA Rankings & World Cup Seeding (2018 Edition)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Rickdog, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I agree. "It is downhill from here" means it is getting easier, which is what I assumed he meant to say even though he said "uphill", because a one goal loss for Switzerland in Portugal means they will have qualified for the WC (assuming they win all of their remaining minnow matches).

2. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Okay, but if they lose by a goal in Portugal (as you stated), they won't be in the UEFA playoffs. The first tiebreaker is head to head, and the Swiss beat Portugal by two goals at home, so they will have punched their ticket for Russia with a one goal loss 10 Oct. in Lisbon.

zahzah and verde-rubro repped this.
  3. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    read some wear its goals scored ? on the tiebreaker

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Currently, Switzerland has 18 pts with a goal diference of +9
    ..............., Portugal has 15 pts. with a goal diference of +19

All that Switzerland has that gives them advantage over Portugal, is the 3 pt. diference due to the win they achieved the first match date at home vs. Portugal. Asuming they win every other match left (highly likely as playing all the the other opponents, all you need to do is shoot to the goal and cellebrate), If for the last match date, which is played in Portugal, the home team wins by only 1-0, they'll both have reached the same amount of points, and the tie-breaker in this case is the goal diference, which means that Portugal would have won the group and qualified to the WC, and Switzerland should see its fate on the Uefa playoffs.....

5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I suppose, but in the world cup a lot less than it would in the Euro's. Because Pots in the World Cup are determined by Continents. Pot 1 is top 7 teams+host, and the rest are continents. Its not like the European Cups where Pot 1 is best 7 teams+ host, then Pot 2 is next top 7 teams, etc. There will arguably be good teams in each pot. What I am trying to say is that in the world cup, seeding does not help your chances as much as it would in the Euro Cups or Copa America.

Anyway regarding Italy, as long as we don't end up in the same group as Germany, Brazil, or Argentina, I am fine. Spain as well I would like to avoid, but we will probably both be in the same Pot.

6. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sorry, don't want to turn this into an English class but 'downhill from here' does NOT mean it's getting easier, it means it's getting worse

7. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think Italy traditionally will be fine against the big boys. It's the lesser teams that give you often more trouble :)

8. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    So now that we're post-Confed Cup, which 5 have the inside track to join Russia, Germany, and Chile?

~OGx3

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    although I do love Basti, he didn't belong on the team, was only there out of loyalty the coach had for him and because he was the captain post Lahm. He wasn't even 100% fit. And we lost outside of Hummels being suspended and Gomez injured partially because of his handball in the box.

10. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    First tie breaker in the UEFA WC qualifiers is indeed goal difference. Any victory for Portugal at home vs the Swiss should be enough, as it looks almost impossible to make up that many goals. However dropping points before that meeting wouldn't be shocking, as the playoff route seems to be our thing.

11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Actually it can be used either way.

"The phrase 'it was all downhill from there' seems to have two, contradictory meanings.

The first indicates that things have since gotten a lot worse, while the second means the opposite thing--that the hard part is over and it's all smooth sailing now."

"I pretty much exclusively use the phrase for the latter meaning, since to me that's more intuitive. If everything is "downhill" now, you don't have to pedal any more or work as hard to get to the bottom."

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/198940/its-all-downhill-from-here-meaning-and-etymology

That's how I see at as well. If you're running a marathon or on a bike, the downhill portion is where you want to be.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Swiss can bunker, I wouldn't be surprised if they manage a 0-0 in Portugal.

zahzah repped this.
  13. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure I understood you correctly. If a match goes to penalty shoot out, it's a draw in the statistics. The match ended in a draw. The penalty shoot out has nothing to do with the game itself, that's why there is the final whistle after 120 minutes. The penalty shoot out only decides which team goes through and has nothing to do with the game itself. It's a draw. The team gets bonus points for their FIFA ranking for going one stage deeper into the tourney but that has nothing to do with the outcome of the match.

14. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No matter how FIFA arguments it that part of the system is inherently unfair. Absolutely no justification towards it.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sure, but I think Switzerland can draw.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Colombia has a good shot if they can beat Brazil and Paraguay at home and get some sort of points in Venezuela and Peru.

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Can Switzerland really achieve another seed? I think very lowly of the FIFA rankings but would of course take another seed. Regardless, big match coming up in Lisbon in October.

19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Just so you know: Switzerland will be 4th in FIFA rankings until the end of August at minimum :)

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    When each WC finishes, it generates a standings table, according to stages reached, points won, and goal diferences of each of the teams. For those matches that finished in draws, but were decided on PSO, it gives 2 points for the team that won the PSO, and 1 point for whom lost it, which is the same for every team that has a draw.

It has direct relationship to why some teams gets the double of points for that match than the other, as the formula used to calculate the points, uses the result in points as one of the factors to consider.

FIFA's basic formula for calculating points :

P = M x I x T x C

I : it represents importance of the match or level of tournament
    T : represents the level of opponents (basicly is, 200 - the ranking of opponent)
    C : represents the Confed strength.

And M, which is the factor, over which we are talking about, represents the result in points for the game, a normal win is 3 pts. a win on PSO is 2 pts., a draw and a defeat on PSO is 1 pt., and a normal defeat is 0 pts.

And at last, it is not bonus points for going through. It is the result of the match.

http://es.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure/men.html

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    They can win the match as well, as up to now, no one knows the result of that match because it hasn't been played yet..

My original post was very clear, as the first thing I said in it, was "what needs to happen"

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Nope, not at the end of August, but at the begining of August (10 of August, to be precise), when the next FIFA's rankings list comes out, as Portugal will lose about 65 pts, being passed by both Switzerland and Poland.

23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You misread my post. I said they will be 4th until at least the September ranking.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Mexico could've moved all the way up to #11 in the rankings above Spain and Italy, but guess that's not happening after last night.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I did not know where to discuss this but decided to do it here.
    Argentine media is reporting that the Court of Arbitration for Sport has ruled in favor of Bolivia.
    So rumor has it the four points earned against Chile and Peru by Bolivia will be given back to them.