FIFA Club World Cup: UAE 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 10, 2018.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No doubt. long way to go.
    This time last year Real Madrid attempted to make winning the CWC a bigger deal than they had before. Following victory over Gremio, Madrid's next match was the Liga El Clasico and Cristiano lit the fuse by almost demanding that Barcelona give them a pasillo (Guard of Honor). Barcelona refused and cited recent actions that opponents of both teams had demonstrated after each had won the CWC...

Was a pasillo given after winning the Club World Cup?

19-12-2009 : CWC-F Estudiantes de la Plata 1-2a.e.t. Barcelona
    02-01-2010 : Liga J16 Barcelona 1-1 Villarreal YES

18-12-2011 : CWC-F Santos FC 0-4 Barcelona
    22-12-2011 : Copa-4R2 Barcelona 9-0 L'Hospitalet NO

20-12-2014 : CWC-F Real Madrid 2-0 San Lorenzo
    04-01-2015 : Liga J17 Valencia 2-1 Real Madrid YES

20-12-2015 : CWC-F River Plate 0-3 Barcelona
    30-12-2015 : Liga J17 Barcelona 4-0 Real Betis YES

18-12-2016 : CWC-F Real Madrid 4-2a.e.t. Kashima Antlers
    04-01-2017 : Copa-5R1 Real Madrid 3-0 Sevilla NO

16-12-2017 : CWC-F Real Madrid 1-0 Grêmio
    23-12-2017 : Liga J16 Real Madrid 0-3 Barcelona NO

In response, in late April after Barcelona cemented the Liga title Real Madrid were Barca's next opponents. A pasillo for newly crowned Liga champions when there were still rounds to play had been a tradition in La Liga since 1971 but Zidane refused to have his players line up in Barca's honor, thus disrespecting tradition. The remaining clubs that Barcelona played to close out the Liga campaign did give Barca a pasillo.

With Madrid not scheduled to play until 2019 we wait to see if they will demand a pasillo from their next opponents, Villarreal.
    (I'm guessing Villarreal will give them one.)

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That’s even worse (from a Madrid perspective) .

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'll see you at the Asian Cup final. Will break the blockade for that weekend to attend that. Those attendance figures surprise me a little to be honest. First of all, I'd expect more people to go the first of the two years the tournament is held there as once people have gone, they may not be so inclined to come back the second year. Secondly, 2009 + 2017 were years that featured Messi + Ronaldo, whereas 2010 + 2018 they did not, so I'd have thought they'd been more of a draw. I'm wondering how they count the doubleheader 3rd place + final match in terms of attendance. Both these years the 3rd place match featured the South American teams who had a decent amount of fans so I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.

Anyhoo, about Zayed Stadium getting the majority of the matches.. I guess it's kind of the traditional old stadium in the UAE, + it's the stadium officially named after Sheikh Zayed. It's been a good decade since I left the UAE, but if I recall correctly, Zayed stadium is situated on the road out to Dubai so it's probably more accessible to those coming from Dubai / other Emirates + iirc Al Jazira is pretty much bang smack in the center of Abu Dhabi no? Thus a big event there could cause all sorts of traffic fiasco whereas Zayed stadium in more conveniently located.. anyhoo, just my 2 cents..

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasted too much time looking for an example, when I should have just turned to the id of Real Madrid's blind fandom, Tomás Roncero:

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I think for the doubleheaders they count scanned tickets at about the 70th minute for the first match. The second match then counts all the tickets scanned or sold.

Fair point on accessibility. Although a lesser issue on a Saturday.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    70th? That's a bit fake. Anyone who arrives past the 30th minute is obviously there for the final primarily.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I could be wrong on the cut-off time but attendance for the first match is typically announced inside the stadium at around the 70th minute mark.

8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    That won't change the fact that RM has more World Titles, making them the better team all time.
    They better.

I think majority LMX teams do this for the newly crowned CCL Champs. Maybe Paul has specifics on this.

9. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Villarreal?
    They probably will but they're not required to. After Barcelona beat Santos in 2011 Pep Guardiola said he didn't want L'Hospitalet giving them a pasillo. His reasoning was Barcelona already had their celebrations in Japan and the match against L'Hospitalet was in a different tournament.
    Two years ago Sevilla didn't give one to Real Madrid and no one said a thing about it.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A majority? The only one I remember is Chivas giving the pasillo to Monterrey after they won their first CCL in 2011.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be different in other countries, but I'm used to MLB attendance being announced late in the game. The time attendance is announced doesn't tell you when it stopped being counted in terms of fans arriving.

12. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I follow Barcelona and they always announce home attendances (exact count) during halftime.

13. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    EPL usually announce it late in the second half, doesn't mean that they consider that the cut-off point though.

EvanJ repped this.
  14. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Oh ok. Had no idea, that's why I passed it to you, the guru of CONCACAF football.

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be mean to @Paul Calixte but can you or anybody else describe Concacaf's (then known as CONCACAF) World Cup 2002 Qualifying format to get down to 12 teams? Can you name what two countries played a tiebreaker game in the USA because they finished the Semifinals tied for second in every tiebreaker? Luckily they did not use drawing of lots. Can you name the most recent World Cup Qualifying in which head-to-head was the tiebreaker? The Semifinals of World Cup 2014 Qualifying ended with the two games in each group at the same time. Can you name what group played in the afternoon, what group played at 7:15 P.M., and what group played at 9:00 P.M. or 10:00 P.M. or whatever late time it is? I have all of that memorized.

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "Not to be mean but" it sounds like you're offended someone other than yourself was labeled 'the guru of CONCACAF football'.

17. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Wow - that's a hell of a tinder profile

J

18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Normally lowkey and quiet Evan goes HAM outta the blue. Wow, talk about unexpected.

Paul got more cred because he contributes more than any poster on CONCACAF matters. He's always on top of CCL qualifying and has even gone out of his way to contact Central American Football Feds to inquire about their ever changing qualifying requirements. No one else gives even half a thought to the Belice Premier League, yet there is Paul keeping tabs on them at every turn for the sake of the CCL.

So sorry if you know more about our region, but PC has put in more effort to get the info out there and keep us all informed, even to minute detail.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. Paul does more research, but I do some also, including about Belize on December 11. Can you call us both gurus? I don't know anything about giving pasillos, but I have a good memory about World Cup qualifying in every confederation. I remember unique things like China being eliminated from World Cup 2006 Qualifying on goals scored by 1 after beating Hong Kong 7-0 while Kuwait was the only team in the group to advance after they beat Malaysia 6-1.

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We validate you...

.. as the junior CONCACAF apprentice

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We're lucky to have them both around.

EvanJ repped this.
  22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F' it - @Nico Limmat , @vilafria , whoever, someone set up a winner-take-all Concacaf Jeopardy. Challengers want a piece, they can come get it :D

In all seriousness, @EvanJ your knowledge of football in this region is unimpeachable, and frankly keeps me on my toes. Why don't you take a shot at @It's called FOOTBALL 's question as well, then? I only remember Chivas' pasillo for Monterrey in the league; Monterrey themselves did the pasillo for Santos Laguna as a fair-play gesture during the 2012-13 CCL Final post-game ceremony, but I can't think of any other time that the CCL champs received it in their next league game.

EvanJ repped this.
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. It doesn't have to be a competition between us. As I said, I don't know anything about pasillos. In the United States, teams raise banners and get championship rings at the start of the next season. Teams don't have to decide if they want to honor their opponent who just won a trophy because teams in those leagues don't have international competitions or other opportunities for midseason trophies. I don't watch Liga MX or know when big games are. I know that there are 18 clubs and there used to be 3 groups of 6, but groups were eliminated. Since every club plays every other club once per season, groups are unnecessary IMO. I wanted to test myself to name what country every CCL club is in (every season, not just 2019), but I can't because websites give flags which helps me out.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  25. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apropos of the talk of pasillos, Real Madrid got theirs today.