FIFA 2006 is great

Discussion in 'Games' started by kerowack, Oct 6, 2005.

1. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    How is everyone doing on their respective careers?

I finally won Ligue 1 in Season 3 with St. Etienne, and I just won my CL group with them this year, and I sit third in the tables at December, poised to pounce on Lyon and Monaco.

2. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I won the league with Blackburn on the last day of the season in my first year, but lost out in the League Cup and FA Cups. 76 points was enough to win the Premiership. :eek:

The second season, which I just finished, was amazing. I won everything in sight. I started the season by winning the Community Shield against Arsenal, then beat Newcastle in the League Cup final in January, went undefeated in the league (28 wins, 10 draws) beat Newcastle again in the FA Cup final, then beat AC Milan in a classic CL final. I only lost one game all season; a 1-0 loss to PSG in the round of 16 in the CL, but I won that round on aggregate thanks to the first leg against them. Truly an amazing season. :)

I kept the roster true to life, only buying a couple of players to replace those who retired after the first season.

I'm going to start over after the transfer window so I can have all of the rosters up to date.

3. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Looks like it's time to move up off rookie level ;)

I do terrible in the domestic cups. I just beat Bastia 2-0, which marked my first ever win in the Coupe de France. :rolleyes: I always seem to play to a 0-0 draw and end up losing on penalties, which I'm terrible at saving.

And I won Ligue 1 on 84 points. I think Lyon had 82 or something like that.

4. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I'm actually on professional, but I'll probably step it up to world class next season. :p

There's something about those cups. I think they must program the games to be tougher in the cups, because it seems like the games are always alot tougher than they are in the league. That's fine with me though, since that's how it goes in reality too.

That first season I played in the premiership had a ton of parity. 76 points is a low number to win the league with. Man U had 75, Arsenal had 74, Chelsea was in the 70s, and a couple of other teams were in the high 60s. That was a hell of a league race. This last season saw me finish some 14 points ahead of Liverpool's tally of 80.

5. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    My first season, Lyon absolutely ran away with it. The second year, Monaco started out hot, but ended up falling back to second. Then last year, us and Lyon sped away.

It always seems like Lyon and somebody else fight it out, and no one else gets above 60 points.

6. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Newcastle was like Monaco in this most recent season. For the first couple of months of the season, I was really wondering if they were going to run away with it. I wasn't playing that well yet really, drawing every other game while they were beating everyone 3-0, 4-1, etc. I thought I might draw myself out of the league race before it was said and done with. They cooled off (aside from making it to both domestic cup finals) and wound up finishing third.

7. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm going to see how I do in the CL this year and move on to Liverpool. It will be interesting to see what changes have been made.

8. ndot

ndot New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    Australia
    anyone know any good 'cheats' for manager mode?

i hate building up prestige as a manager, i just wanna start with bayern but i always end up getting sacked due to being in debt after like 3 seasons.... one trick i've tried is putting the worst players on the field before choosing the career team, thus lowering them to a four star team (and reducing my salary)... also filling the reserves up with created players (with 99% skills) and selling them to build up funds....

9. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Get the sponsor with the highest per-match funds. And dump any dead weight. I think I carry 19 players on my squad.

10. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Do you guys play every game? I 'visual sim' a lot of them and I get a lot of...

63' Fiore IN Pizarro OUT
    65' Pazzini IN Fiore OUT
    69' GOAL Fiore

11. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i play all games but last 5 teams. so i miss 10 games at most.

12. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Sounds exactly like my career.

I'm plalying with Bordeaux of France. I'm on my second year and i've yet to lose after 16 games (including League, Cup, and CL). So I guess i'll probalby win them all. (I'm on Professional mode). I know its been mentioned before, but i've also noticed that Cup games are alot harder than League games. I have to bust my ass to win those Cup games.

After this season (my second season) I have three players retiring, my GK, my LWB and Smicer (my machine). I'm going to miss Smicer, he's been one of my top players on the team, he's a workhorse.Since I knew ahead of time that I was going to lose these players, I went ahead and let go some of my players I didnt use and purchased Gomes and Farfan from PSV and Van Borre from a Belgian team. (Apparently this kid is a phenom). I really didn't need another striker but I went ahead and purchased Farfan anyways because I wan to eventually sell my goal scorer Perea. That leads me to some questions:

1. When selling players, do I have to "put" them on the market or will big clubs come asking for them? I'm hoping to sell Perea for big $$ since he's scoring a ton of goals. But i'm afraid that if I put him on "sale" nobody will come for him and he'll eventually get "unhappy." What should I do with him?

2. Also, since i'm doing so freakin great (and so are you i'm sure), will a bigger club come ask for me? I want to eventually take over clubs like Barcelona and Inter, but i'm wondering if there's anything extra that I need to do for this happen? Because I know when you start the manager mode you can only pick from a list of teams that given to you, and most of those list dont include big time clubs.

3. Any players you recommend I buy for season 3? :)

Btw, I have the PS2 version.

13. Milkman

Milkman New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peruytu,

1. Yes, you have to transfer list the player you want to sell. In ten years or so of club football I have received only one offer for a player of mine who was not transfer listed - someone (I forget who) put in a bid on Thierry Henry which I rejected.

When you transfer list a player, expect to receive an amount right around his stated value. It may be a little higher, it may be a little lower. If you don't like the first offer then just wait until after your next game and you'll get another offer.

2. The clubs you can choose to lead are based on your manager rep... on a scale of 1-10. You will eventually get high enough to manage any club, but it seems to take about one year to raise one level. Be careful about jumping to a big club too fast! The sponsors you receive are based on your level, and the higher the level the higher-paying sponsors. If you are level 5 or less you probably won't be able to afford the wages at a big club and you will go bankrupt and be fired.

Just to give you some reference, my career path went like this...

Red Bull Salzburg (3 years)
    Ajax (3 years)
    Arsenal (final destination)

14. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Good info, thanks Milkman! :)

... but 10 years already!?!? Damn! You must use the sim button quite frequently. ;)

I tend to play ALL my games. :(

15. Milkman

Milkman New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely don't play all the games, but here's what I play...

1. All Euro Champions League matches
    2. All FA Cup matches
    3. All Carling Cup matches (though I often use reserves in this)
    4. Any Prem match against viable competition, like Liverpool, Man U, and Chelski and any other team that happens to be in the top six or seven at the time.
    5. Doesn't really fit into category #4 but I also play every match against rival Spurs

So at the end of a season I've probably played 25 out of 50 matches or so.

The matches I sim I always "Visual Sim" and then I jump in during the final 30 minutes if I think I can break a tie by scoring... but if I'm up 3-0 I don't get in.

This didn't work for me last night when I jumped in a Prem match against Bolton at 1-1 and lost 2-1... but that's why I play, to see what happens.

After a lot of years the game gets easier because if you have any sense you will have built a strong team but the computer doesn't do a good job maintaining the big clubs. For instance in my dynasty, Man U bought Damien Duff from Chelsea and is starting him at left back (?!) so a lot of times when I play Man U I'll just say a lot of crosses are coming in from my right side. The CPU tends to have guys playing out of position or they don't do enough to fill needs in the lineup.

Meanwhile I've bought up a lot of the young talent, and my coaching staff is good enough to improve them pretty rapidly.

My last piece of advice is that team chemistry really makes a difference... so try to keep your players around, even if you could bring in someone who has a couple more attribute points. The lowest rated player in my starting lineup is Kolo Toure... but he's 35 years old, is the team captain, and has morale 99 team chemistry 99... so I won't be replacing him anytime soon.

16. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    You've got that right. With St. Etienne, I've played with almost the exact same lineup the entire time (Hognon, a CB, retired after my third season), and went from being 30 points off the pace to Ligue 1 champions.

17. stockmanjr

stockmanjr Member

Jun 22, 2003
    NYC
    My biggest beef with fifa 2006 right now is that I just got sacked.I'm playing man city and I was in 6th place with 24 pts after defeating liverpool(2-0) when it fired me.My record was 5 wins 9 draws 1 loss(chelsea at the bridge).I'm sorta confused why I would be sacked when in 6th place?Does the computer have a specific number of wins it expects and if you dont hit that target your sacked?

18. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    your salary cap was going down... you were not rsponding to memos correctly, your team chemistry is going down, you didnt play bench players, you are not upgrading the team.

something in there should make you say, thats possibly the reason why.

19. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Heres an idea, in the online lobby, create a bigsoccer room. So us big boys can battle it out ;)

20. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I agree. Although I do have the online adapter, I haven't set it up yet. But we should have a bigsoccer room. Password-proof that puppy, spread the word out and lets kick each other's a$$es... errr... I mean, let ME kick all your a$$es. ;)

21. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Dude, set up your adapter. Its a sinch, and I believe instructions are clear to create the ethernet connection. Please dont dial up :D. I expect a pm from you for tonights matchup between me and you ;)

22. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    kesone u got fifa 06 online? same here im an average player, nothing sh!t nothing special... i dont know i think i broke my wireless controller bcuz of the frustration online gives me... u may ask y dont you use the regular ps2 controllers? i broke 2 of them... so thats like 110 bucks of equipment broken.... if you want to play NT i will be Italy, if you want to play good club teams i am Juventus if you want to play semi good teams i am Lazio.

23. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Well add me, I kinda stink :D. I'm FARFANYC. ALL add me, and I'll check yous out tonight ;)

24. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    what time will you be on? what team will you use? i will change my batteries in my wireless hoping its not broken from smacking the Sh!t out of it for all the bullsh!t things that happen to me. i am very unlucky in this game, but hopefully i will be ok

25. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Mang, you want a time. I would say about 8pm'ish :D
    Whats your user name?