Fifa 08!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by soccerfreak9210, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They always do it. I was livid when they did it on Fight Night.

2. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Are you referring to current gen? Because thats the one that I am getting.

3. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it called current gen when the next gen is now current?

Honestly this game looks and feel terrific. I cannot wait for a full release version to come out. My only problem was in that the replays didn't look as good as they could in a release build for 360. Overall, felt the game was a very strong showing. :)

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My only problem is that I can't seem to score any freaking goals...lol

5. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far I've only scored off headers... I don't recall scoring once off a header in FIFA '07. Weird stuff. I've also noted that the power meter fills a little quicker than in the past and I keep banging shots over the bar... Also noticed some really cool knuckling going on while the ball is in flight. Very promising stuff so far.

6. GABESTA535

GABESTA535 Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Feb 19, 2007
    Arlington, Va
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've scored one goal in 10 games on PS3 demo. Can't even score with Barcelona against Red Bulls. If that is Semi-Pro mode i don't even want to think about the others. Its not my first time playing either. I was pretty good at Fifa 07 on Ps2.

7. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So it's much more difficult to score? That sound promising. Are the players still running on "rails" or is it more fluid? You think they'll improve it anymore? That's the reason for the demo, right, to get feedback?

8. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the PC Demo, scoring was only slightly more challenging than normal. I'm looking forward to it.

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Its more fluid, they aren't really on rails...but you still get that feeling occasionally. The shooting is drastically more realistic.

10. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    explain?

11. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see that as lazy programming. Isn't what you're doing a bit like criticizing a driving game for not automatically braking for you going into a corner? Shouldn't one be expected to do this basic function manually (every single time, even though it may get tedious) to get a realistic experience?

In FIFA, if you are lazy and don't move your player towards the pass, it might get intercepted by a defender, particularly when playing against a human opponent who anticipates the pass. To me, there's nothing wrong with that.

12. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far I've scored two goals with Henry's head. Seven more and I've match his career total!

Seriously, that seems kinda weird... I scored a goal from Richards to Angel in the air v Inter. I almost had them when they equalized in the dying seconds. I think I have one goal off the ground while it was rattling around the box.

Biggest things: the pace is definately slower. You can't just run around guys to the outside anymore. You have to move the ball around a lot more. Defenders cut down on the through-ball. The stepover moves and all that are also a very welcome addition. Now, can I just get my hands on the real deal EA?! :D

13. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is there a stadium list out?

14. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    See below.

I was not talking about my player but the rest of the team. I fail to see why I have to manually force a team mate to make a run when even a school boy would doing it in real life. The number of times I had the ball in a good position, only to find that no-one had bothered to make a supporting run is frankly shocking. It's nothing like braking and simply common sense. Lazy programming means that 99% of the time you need to manually do everything for your entire team. God help wheover is unfortunate to play the mode when you are locked into one player!

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Be a Pro!!

17. coltcannon

coltcannon Member

Jun 13, 2006
    P.R.M.
    Agreed if you are running with the ball, every player around you should be moving also. If you press the pass button they should not stop and wait for the ball. Your pass should lead them in their run if they are moving away from you or come to the ball if they are moving towards you. FIFA08 fails to do that.

18. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to get reasonably proficient with the Xbox demo, but I'm still having lots of problems. First of all, how can you make the receiver run towards the pass? I usually don't get control of the player until the ball is at their feet. Also, can you cause the players to pass faster? I keep giving the ball up on slow rollers.

Beyond that... is there any way to shield the ball and/or control your pace? I'm goofing around with Bayern Munich vs. Red Bulls, and I can barely hang on to the damn ball. It's disconcerting to see Klose constantly losing the ball to Seth Stammler.

How do you trigger supporting runs? I like to play 4-4-2, but when I've got one of the big strikers holding up the ball nobody runs up to help. Also, is there any way to defend against set pieces? My defenders never, ever win headers. What do I need to do besides pressing the dang button?

I really want to like the FIFA series, but there are still lots of problems-- one-touch passing is a virtual impossibility, and it seems like the AI never wants to run off the ball. It's annoying as it seems like every year some problems are fixed but the one-touch passing thing has been an issue since I've been playing (FIFA 03). I can score goals in the demo, but it's really, really difficult and it seems like the AI scores against me very easily.

Anyway, I want to hone my skills ahead of the release so I can cream my buddies on Xbox live (we're starting an MLS league) so feel free to share tips!

19. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    that happened to me when my 07 disc got messed up
    i went back to 06 and was terrible for a little while

20. Arrozito

Arrozito New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    SC
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Through balls work for me depending on the player. I think the game has gotten better with the player running to the ball, but it is also harder to pass.

To increase support press down on the d-pad which calls for Box Overload and press select to change strategy to aggressive instead of neutral. Control pace is R2. At least in the PC version.

21. Lulu 69

Lulu 69 New Member

May 7, 2007
    the biggest problem for me is that it was as difficult to play against Red Bulls defense as it was to play against Inter's defence. There doesn't seem to be a wide variation of quality between the poor teams and the good ones. That has been a problem in the fifa series for a few years now.

22. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that has been happening since Fifa 04, I haven't played a Fifa since that. I remember playing with Man Utd vs. Yeovil and Phil Jevons kept outpacing Ronaldo.

They say they try to make it as realistic as possible, but the nets don't even move when you drill a 30 yard Didi Hamann thunderbolt into the top corner.

23. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I wish the management mode was a bit more realistic as far having to utilize your entire squad is concerned. You hardly have to sub out your starting XI and the players hardly get injured. And when they do, they usually miss like one or two matches. Not that I want my star players not playing, but thats not how it works in real life.

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think they are going to do a very good job with the manager mode this year. Looks promising.

25. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The demo is so bad. Honestly what in the world is with the players being all the same and moving and passing like they are in mud.