FIFA 08!! (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Goodsport, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the be a pro 5v5 thing is awesome!!

theres some pressure on you when you are captain...but its all in fun...

it would be better if everyone has a headset cause its awkward talking to one person, or just talking to everyone through their TV's without them being able to respond...o well, it makes me feel like a leader when you talk by yourself...

its not easy though...its hard to control your player if you start watching the ball only...it feels very rewarding when YOU are the one making an assist or a goal though...

definitely check it out if you haven't...

2. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I agree it's great fun. I did a quick match earlier and found an awesome group. We played as chelsea against man utd and we clobbered 'em 5-0. They key is finding a good group who want to play as a team. It seems most people want to be the goalscorer or hero, so all the human controlled players congregate in the box, and then they all run back on defense too. staying disciplined it is super easy to counter-attack into next week as long as you play to your opponents weaknesses :)

I prefer playing out wide in the midfield because you end up seeing lots of the ball, and get almost no pressure because all the human opponents are trying to score, and all the computer controlled opponents are left trying to clean up the defensive mess left behind by 5 guys rushing the box every time they get the ball.

3. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, a lot of games end up looking like 4 year old kids' soccer, with everyone running to the ball...

4. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Can you do this 5 on 5 for ps2? If you can, how, and do I need 5 people at my house, or can I just play and join 4 other people?

5. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I think it's only for XBox 360 and PS3, and it's only for online play.

6. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I've given it a month or so grace period, and I can now say I've given it a fair shake.

I don't like it. I'm probably going back to '07

7. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I like the game, I play it on Xbox 360, but it does have it's quirks/bugs and it can get better.
    Things I like or improvements from FIFA 07:

1. Sliding tackle is actually usable now. On '07, you would just dive right at a guy's legs, it was useless, now you can actually use it as a legitimate defensive move.

2. The fact you can actually dribble around players and use a variety of different moves, to make space, get around guys, get off a shot, etc. Personally, I'm still not very good at them, but at least it's there to master, as opposed to before when it was barely a option.

3. The addition of all the leagues, in '07 there were only five leagues, which I got used to, but it stunk. I like it much better now that there is all these different leagues.

4. That Be a Pro feature is FUN! Once it becomes more integrated with full 11 v. 11 online play and things like that, it'll be huge.

Negatives on the game/bugs/quirks:

1. The fact there is no offseason. Once the season ends, there should be a offseason (like in real life) whereas if you want to overhaul the roster, you can. For instance, I was playing as a 2nd division team and won promotion to the top division, I had to upgrade my roster on the fly, during the beginning of the next season, instead of having the offseason to make improvements. They used to have the offseason in older versions of the game, they need to bring that back.

2. I've come across a few instances where I have two different fixtures, like a cup and league game, on the same day! This is obviously a stupid bug they overlooked and it needs to get fixed, that's just ridiculous.

3. Through balls are much harder to execute than they were in '07, I thought '07 had it right on this move, but they made it much more difficult in '08. I'm able to execute a successful through ball in '08 maybe 3 out of 10 times, whereas in '07 it was 7 out of 10 times. This pass isn't as difficult to execute as FIFA '08 makes it.

4. It's still to easy to lose possession by a "standing tackle". In real-life games, possession is lost most times by bad passes or teammates on a different page, in '08, it's mostly lost by players running/standing next to you and they just take the ball.

Anyway these are some of the issues I have with the game that are most easily fixed. There's some other ones I have that aren't as easy to improve. Either way, I do enjoy the game, and am glad that EA Sports continues to improve on it.

8. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    5vs5 be a pro is the greatest thing to ever happen to soccer video games. This is the future. It's so fun if you get a good team, I've been running with my buddies from fifaxbox.com and it's simply fantastic. Scoring feels so much more exciting when you're one player :cool:

9. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, i didnt think it was THAT bad...

o well, ur loss i guess...

the slow pace annoys me too, but i get over it by being smart when to use the sprint button...

10. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like there are a lot of American fans on here. What is the best 11 for USNT?

11. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really my loss. Yeah it may be more realistic in some aspects, but I'd rather enjoy myself. '08 seems more like work than a game, IMO

12. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    play on an easier level with a high level goal keeper. that way you can run your offense like you want to without winning by 5 or 10 goals.

13. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I think I'll give that a shot.

14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have it on PC

On World Class I cant seem to switch players when I want to. I either switch to my goalie or I switch late.

Can someone help

15. osho420k

osho420k Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Germantown, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i changed the speed of the game to FAST... made a world of difference.. its the perfect pace for me

16. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    for the US I just use the default form

-------EJ--------
    Beasley - Adu - LD
    --Mastro -- Bradley
    Bornstein Onyewu Boca Cherundolo

I replace whomever is sucking with Dempsey, who is just so grossly disrpescted with his rating he's almost unplayable. I still think Clint is the single most under-rated player in the game, not just Yank, BUT PLAYER. He's easily one of the top players on Fulham, yet is only a 70, a 69 at any position he actually plays.

Bring Rico to the bench so you have two options to replace Mastro and Bradley, Mike's stamina is real low and he's often dead tired by the 80th

17. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Once again they've compensated for a ************ AI by giving the computer-goalkeepers superhuman abilities, and i still often get over 30 shots during a game while the computer only gets 5, on highest difficulty.

The difference is that in this FIFA, scoring is actually impossible, so even in those 30-40 shot games, i still usually don't win.
    Because apart from the goalkeepers they've also made crosses useless and shots highly random.

So as a single player game, it's still ass, possibly even more than before.
    Or maybe i just really suck at shooting.

18. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    LOL! I think you just suck at shooting. It sounds like you just recently started playing this game, it'll get easier. This game has a longer learning curve than earlier EA Sports FIFA titles.

19. impactsoccer30

impactsoccer30 New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Well a few weeks after playing fifa 08 for ps2, i took it to a tourny and it fell off the chair it was on and the disk got scratched. Now it doesnt work and its too late to return it. Its quite depressing...and a waste of 40 bucks :(

20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My shooting has become very poor as well since plying the 08. Anyone got any good tips on goal scoring? Other than practice...what works for you? Thanks in advance!!

21. yupeizuan

yupeizuan New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    i will take pes

22. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Time it right

23. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just created a club with a buddy (we made ourselves and a few other guys) and 2vCPU is a lot of fun. We created a formation that is basically a 5-0-5 and there is a lot of space to move in the midfield and lots of targets for crosses.
    It may have just saved the game for me.

24. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    most of the shots outside of the 18 box are going to be caught/blocked. Pass (normal) to a player right at the top of the box with his back to the goal, take a quick turn and shot. On break aways look for chip shots and tap those, it easy to put to much power onto a chip at speed. Crossing, choose which post to send it to hit the cross button once to send it to the back twice to the near. Take the ball to the endline (inside the 18box) and send a normal pass back to the top of the box, most of the time the keepers will be out of position.

This version of FIFA is all about passing, not shooting.

25. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ive scored my fair share from outside the box on Pro keeper and Pro game difficulty...you just have to time it right