Federico Higuain wants to play for USA.... is it possible or worth it?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bolivianfuego, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    You are right, I did forget that earlier round. We will see if CONCACAF has the same format. They can certainly play those games Sept-Nov 2020, or use the Nations League to seed the Hex. Or change everything and have something more like the current U20 qualifying with lots of teams involved. While there have been hiccups in the 4th round of qualifying, it is probably not worth hurting your Hex and WC chances to overly worry about those games.

Very soon, the amount of friendlies is really going to be reduced and the number of actual competitive matches is going to dominate. We are so lucky we have taken the last year with our new coach to work out things before everything gets serious...

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. He can be played on the wing, and is doing so lately with Dortmund. However, he has found the greatest success in a US jersey as an attacking, central midfielder. He's the best American player overall, and the best attacking threat out of the midfield. He's the natural choice for #10.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    To me there is a worthy debate to be had as to whether we should put our best player in a central role that he is our best choice for, or whether it is better to put him in the inverted/inside wide attacking role that he is best at.

The uncomfortable fact is that Pulisic is good playmaker, but he's not a world-class playmaker. He is a world-class (or very near it) darting option in and around the box (shooting or giving the final ball). He's best as a very dangerous weapon for a string-puller to make use of.

I personally would prefer to use him as that weapon. But if all our string-pullers are sub-par (Green gives me relatively little confidence, as does Lletget), then we might have to sacrifice a weapon in order to gain a competent string-puller. Of course, much depends on who our manager is and how he sets us up to play.

ussoccer97531 and Bluecat82 repped this.