FC Seoul Hires Senol Gunes

Discussion in 'Korean Domestic Leagues' started by dcunited4life, Dec 8, 2006.

1. gaeko

gaeko New Member

May 3, 2006
    Busan Dongrae
    sorry, but that's crap.

2. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
  3. gaeko

gaeko New Member

May 3, 2006
    Busan Dongrae
    that INCHEON UNITED team in 2005, coached by JANG WEI-RYONG was perfect example of a well-coached football club, but none of their players played a single match for KNT that year despite having the best overall record in the league (although they finished runner-up because of the playoff system).

does that mean coach JANG didn't deserve the COTY award?

4. gaeko

gaeko New Member

May 3, 2006
    Busan Dongrae
    i don't think there's a correlation between being a good manager and a manager that can nurture players into NT members. no manager will ever win trophies with player development skills alone, imo.

5. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I dont think that is a bad idea..

My english not so good.
    if my english was good,i would like to add
    ''yarismaci ruhu'' , ''ekxtra motivasyon oyuncu,hoca,milli takim''

anyway,

I saw the video at official site of fc.seoul.
    it was a an interesthing interview by coach Senol Gunes aka happy_sun

sincerely
    iwa

6. bjk31

bjk31 New Member

Oct 2, 2003
  7. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004

Thank You.

The interview is very interesthing over all.

readers comment is classy aswell.

8. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    another interseting article on Gunes

Gunes:"I Want Seoul To Play Like Barca"

The former coach of the Turkey national team has yet to see Seoul concede a league goal in the four games played this season and the club sit level on points with three others on top of the K-League.

With a sound defence already in place, it is in attack where the Spanish club could be an excellent example.

“I like Barcelona. They always play at a high tempo as well as with a good strategy. I want to adopt that model as the one for my team," he told JoyNews.

“I have only been here for a short time but I want to make Seoul into a team that is always watched by 50-60,000 people. Of course results are important but I want to make football for the fans."

Those supporters are more than happy with the 54 year-old so far and for the rest of his three year contract, he hopes to see FC Seoul play faster football.

"I also like English football," he continued. "For the development of Korean football, it is my dream to play at that kind of tempo. We should improve step-by-step. "

The ex-Trabszonspor boss declared that the current format of the Asian Champions League would not help his team do so.

"When I see the Champions League, the games are between teams of standards that are too different. Playing these kinds of games will not help us develop,” he said

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=271260

9. inobino

inobino Red Card

Mar 13, 2007
    Behind You
  10. TurkishMoon

TurkishMoon New Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Senol Gunes is just a great man

the Turkish media just stamped this man into the ground
    really sad..

he almost made us World Champions and still the media in Turkish is spitting bad words about him

Im glad Senol found a place where he can work out his idea's

11. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Exactly, but it really shows where the focus and heart of the KFA really lies: with the national team. If they want the K-League to be successful, they are going to have to change this mentality.

12. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    You told us before that you didn’t sign for a big amount.

Yes that’s true.

But you could have earned more if you stayed here.

But I already told you why I went there. I went there to work, to start fresh and make a lasting contribution.

So you’re a man on a mission.

Yes, that’s what I’m trying to so. Everywhere I worked I was on a mission. They understand it only when I leave. I have no intention of explaining these things. I am happy with what I do. I enjoy my job. I am happiest when I’m on the field.

People from the Black Sea miss their region a lot. How long will you stay in Korea ?

I’m a little different. For example after I left Trabzonspor I never went back. I was raised in very hard circumstances and I believe after surviving a lot of poverty and hardship I can overcome anything.

This man has my respect. I don't root for any particular K-League team at the moment, but I can't help but root for this man. He wants positive change in Korean football, and in my mind, that's admirable. Especially for a foreigner.

13. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004

Hi dear Klogon,

Thanks for add the interview as a reading way.

Those thing that you mentioned,
    Some other Korean Mates said smilar in current thread.

I do agree aswell.

@

He is honest and a great person.
    I believe and hope, He will add a lot of good things for Korean Football.

sincerely
    iwa

14. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    His goals may seem lofty but I honestly hope he succeeds with his plan by starting with FC Seoul. I read an article on how Arsene Wenger's signing with Arsenal back in 1996 revolutionized the Premiership. For us, it's hard to imagine the Premiership having been revolutionized since the vast majority have followed the Premiership since its inception in 1992. But when Wenger came, people laughed at the idea of a club like Arsenal hiring a relatively unknown (then) manager. But Wenger changed training methods at Arsenal focusing more on better nutrition, specialized coaching and training aspects such as stretching as opposed to the standard 500 mile jog to get fit. The players at Arsenal at the time, Ian Wright, Tony Adams, Paul Merson, Ray Parlour (all regulars with England) reacted in the "what the f**k" variety but Wenger's work in his first full season landed Arsenal the double. Wenger's also won the title on two other occasions with the most recent success an undefeated season (in 2004). Now every club in England has adopted the "eat healthy" attitude as well as having various coaches, physios and even masseuses. Sure, Mourinho won two successive championships but at a staggering cost. I wonder if Gunes' work in Korea can parallel Wenger's contribution to English football. Sometimes it just takes one coach's innovation to raise the standard of football in a country. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But can anyone remember what we thought of when the Gunners signed Wenger (who?) in 1996?

15. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I think in 1996, everyone followed the Serie-A and the Primera. Especially because of Ronaldo at Barca. Besides, I was a Pohang fan back then.

But great post Almo. You never seem to fail us with your insights. And no. It's not wishful thinking. Guus did a great job, except he just raised not only the standard of the public's expectations but perhaps expectations of current and past KNT coaches.

I welcome Gunes. I may hate him for coaching a club that I cannot possibly acknowledge, but if Gunes can joga bonito with respectable margin throughout the season, then maybe other corporations with the means can start scouting for coaches that are on par with Gunes or even better.

Ironically, after Samsung Electronics changed their slogan to something along the lines of being the world's best, they immediately hired Cha BK. I suppose they valued his German connections very highly. I wonder what they're thinking now. Clubs like Ulsan or Suwon can very well hire a decent-level manager. I used to think that a manager's role was very limited once on the pitch on game-day. Now, I realize that the staff's role is 60%, player's abilities 30%, and mentality 10%.

Bottomline, Paul LeGuen for Seoul United.

p.s. I'd be pissed to see Gunes leave for the KNT if Pim fails this Asian Cup. We need a great coach to be in the league, not the NT (although I don't think he would take up the NT offer).,

16. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    60% Staff? I think that's far too much. 25% TOPS, and even that would be debatable.

17. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004

Overall; Great two comment one by Almogavar, one by Svasco.
    I realy enjoyed to read you guys comment about it.

@
    and bottom line, I do agree about your last PS.

sincerely
    iwa

18. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This first I ever agree Almorgaver but that was great post. K Leagues luck got quality coach like Gunes. If Gunes raise standard K League improve and Korea soccer only get better.

19. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    yes, great post Almogavar92.

this is something i knew and infact watched happen in the EPL although i was too young to really appreciate it, but would never have thought about it in parallel with the possibility of Gunes having a similar effect in the K-league.

so long as parallels are being drawn i would like to add a few. its not thought out or anything, im just jotting it down as it comes to mind.

there is Wenger, who turned 'boring boring' Arsenal into a team that prodcues graceful football and perfect goals. A team that would defend its one goal lead with boring defensive play taking advantage of having the (back then) narrowest pitch in the Premiership with the drunk donkey Tony Adams at its helm to a team who would attack and attack and have the one of the best off side traps in the world.

Then there is Alex Ferguson and ManU. Home grown talent: Beckahm, Giggs, Neville brothers, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes the old guard. Ferguson got the right mixture of home grown ManU Academy talents and outside imports. The facility to train and cultivate young talent is vital.

Players who changed the game: Zola, Ginola, Bergkamp, Overmars, Cantona, Vieira, Keane etc. Dont be afraid to bring in foreign players. England from a xenophobic league in the 80s gradually became more open and open to foreign players. Now perhaps they have a bit too many foreign players, great for the EPL but not so great for the National Team. England NT benefited from the foreign influx to the EPL around about 1996-98 the most in my opinion. I would argue it still does, but others may disagree and some of their arguments is not without certain basis.

But most importantly....it comes down to money. Television rights, people actually paying to watch the K-league. Money was the biggest factor for the transformation of English football. Money builds stadiums, funds Academies, attracts foreign players, aids marketing which attract fans. EPL already had a fan base, but J-league didnt, but how did the J-league manage to get such a good fanbase? Marketing and also for a country with a pacifist constitution and where being polite on the surface is extrememly important, football provided an outlet where you can be passionate, but as a group, aggressive as a group, shout and make a horrendous racket without the fear of disturbing your neighbours and football pitch represented a battle field.

J-league has the money, K-league doesnt. As time passes the league with the money will surpass the one without. Simple as that.

if English football can transform itself from violent hooligan ridden football of the 80s where it was viewed as a game for yobs and the uncouth only, and women supporters rare, into something the whole nations embraces, the middle classes watches, families outing to matches common place, fashionable to be a football fan (club and NT), and women supporters are common.......then hopefully Korea can do something similar and change peoples attitude to football in Korea and at least make them understand football doesnt only come about every 4 years but is played every week, every month and every year.

Britain has Tennis, where people only have a brief interest in it once a year at Wimbledon and the forget about it for the rest of the year, low funding and low interest, low number of academies and kids playing the game, low number of coaches and courts and no money and the British people wonder why there are no British Tennis Champions anymore.

Korea have Football....that only comes into peoples consciousness once every 4 years. K-league? who cares about that, Olympics? yeah right, ACL? they dont even know what the hell it is, AC? whats that they ask? Air Conditioning?. A lot of people seriously do not watch or care or even know about any other type of football than the WC.

20. inobino

inobino Red Card

Mar 13, 2007
    Behind You
    repped aguy2die4 ^

Personally, all this FC Seoul Fan boy stuff is kinda annoying yes, but the K League needs annoying supporters like me doesnt it? ;)

Frankly, I'm tired of those Be the Reds shirts and those annoying Koreans who only follow football when the WC approaches. It's like a recurring Christmas holiday... :(

21. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    On the topic of coaches that have made differences, Sir Alex Ferguson ("SAF") brought an end of failure and misery that had blighted Man Utd for 26 years prior to their title victory in the Premiership's inaugural season (1992-93). For us, we equate Man Utd with hogging the title, but when you look at the entire picture, Man Utd were a club like Tottenham today ... good and decent but not championship material. It's hard to imagine. SAF, brought Eric Cantona from rival Leeds (who had piped United to the title in the 1991-92 season before the creation of the Premier League). Cantona was the reason behind United's success (minus the 1995 season when he was suspended for his kung-fu kick on a Crystal Palace supporter ...no coincidence that Utd lost out to Blackburn of that year). But the inclusion of a French player (and an upstart with a reputation for shredding contracts faster than scoring goals) was a huge gamble for Man Utd and SAF. SAF had joined United in 1986 and was going on his sixth season without the title (they had won the 1991 Cup Winner's Cup against Barcelona)... but the point I want to make without makign this into a dreary history piece you could get easily off wikipedia, is that the success of a league depends on lots of things. England has been blessed with a type of synergy that started with SAF and Cantona's creation of the Man Utd dynasty. It was a foreign player that brought Man Utd success as he breathed new life into the squad... FourFourTwo's article on him attributes the success of the Beckhams, Scholes, Giggs, Nevilles variety to having the opportunity to watch Cantona take control of matches. Then came Wenger with his approach and suddenly in England, the title was Arsenal vs. Man United with the odd year Liverpool doing something threatening. Then a billionaire bought Chelsea and introduced another coach with another dimension who plans for matches like he's going to war: Jose Mourinho. This has breathed an even greater competition into the Premiership and has made it argueably one of the best in Europe and the world. It's no surprise or coincidence that three English clubs are in the final eight of the Champions' League (when six years ago this was inconceivable).

So the K-League has Gunes... too early to tell where his legacy will take him. Perhaps with some success (to the chagrin of other supporters), perhaps Suwon will make its move to find the other "Wenger" or "Mourinho" and this synergy that we see in England will make its way to Korea. Wouldn't it be grand when one day we have a rivalry in Korea that is of the Galatasaray-Fenerbahce intensity.... for one week a build up that makes the Superbowl seem like some minor league half-time show.. but it starts somewhere. Years back, Arsenal vs. Man United wasn't really a big game as it has become today.

22. forzakr

forzakr New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Great posts by everyone. I've been away from the forums for quite awhile, doesn't been I haven't stopped supporting my team, but it seems the quality posters are still here.

Well I'll be off to see Mr. Gunes in person this weekend in Sangam :)

23. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    "annoying" sounds a bit like "Anyang".

And that's what the K-League needs ;)

24. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Mate,

If you took photo,please add this thread.

by the way; if you meet Mr.Senol Gunes,
    please say big Hello from bigsoccer.

sincerely
    iwa

@

Almo, keep continue mate,
    your post made true footy love_passione view.
    thanks.

-Good luck to the all teams at the K League -.

25. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This weekend's result against Suwon should bring the people at FC Seoul off of cloud 9 and back on their feet again. Maybe the result was a good thing for the club in that it will enable Gunes to regain the focus of his players. The one thing we notice with Korean athletes (and footballers are very prone to this) is that once a good streak begins, concentration wanes, egos become inflated and suddenly, there is overconfidence where once confidence was scarce to be found. Of course, Suwon fans will revel in this result but let's take something positive for all fans involved: the attendance. I didn't watch the game so I don't know what the noise level was like. But 55,000+ people is almost twice the capacity of Ali Sami Yen (home of Galatasaray)...that's something to think about.