FC Salzburg vs Liverpool FC - CL - Dec 10 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 8, 2019.

1. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm going to watch the EL just because of them they are great to watch

Suss and CB-West repped this.
  2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Bobby well out of form for the past month or so.

Suss repped this.
  3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought he had a very effective game myself - lots of good holdup and pressing. He's definitely off the pace in terms of goals and assists though.

4. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I went to check the starting lineup only to find out that the game was over.

imasyko repped this.
  5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #105 usscouse, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    I've only just finished the match. Couple of things. Haarland should have received a yellow card for that ridiculous haircut. My god that was an eyesore.

Salzburg came on looking like CL contenders. Ran out of ideas and ended up looking like Bournemouth!

I wanted to kick Mo Salah's arse. Or at least take him off and put Origi on earlier. Then he scored that ridiculess goal.

Two goals down to their keeper.

We should have had at least 4 prolly 5 goals.

I'll calm down soon. Mrs Scouse took Ringo into the bedroom. He thought I was calling him F***** Salah and got upset.

omaro, augie, el-capitano and 3 others repped this.
  6. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Navieko, CB-West and usscouse repped this.
  8. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Right back at ya Salzburg - classy club, best of luck in the Eurpopa League (and I mean that seriously - I hope they do well, they are quality!)

:thumbsup:

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree, was calling for him to be subbed off about 15 mins before he was.

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    • Liverpool have progressed from all three of their Champions League group stages under Jurgen Klopp. They had been knocked out at this stage in their previous two Champions League campaigns before his arrival.
    • Salzburg's 16 goals is the most scored by a side to be eliminated from their Champions League group since Chelsea in 2012-13 (also 16).
    • Liverpool kept a clean sheet in an away Champions League game for the first time in 11 matches, having conceded 18 goals in their previous 10.
    • Mohamed Salah has been involved in 27 Champions League goals for Liverpool (19 goals, eight assists) - only Lionel Messi (28) has been involved in more since the Egyptian joined the Reds in 2017.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Tonight was the first time Salah has scored a right-footed goal outside the penalty area since arriving in Europe in 2012.

12. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Bobby has always been one of those players who you only notice when he is scoring or assisting. Most of his other work goes unnoticed.

While it is true that he only has 1 goal and 1 assist in his last 13 games, the team has not been struggling for chances and had regularly been dominating possession, much of it in the opposition half. He plays a big part in that. Despite coming off in the 74th minute he had the fourth most passes for our side (a stat almost always dominated by defenders and midfielders), and had as many tackles as Keita and more than anyone else in the team. If we want to allow players like Keita and Ox to regularly attack from midfield, then he sometimes has to position himself in a way to retake possession if it is lost.

Had Salah and Mane been more clinical he'd be walking away with a few assists this game. The team is centred around getting the best out of Mane and Salah, Bobby plays a big role in that. They will get all the plaudits, but it is not down to him playing poorly.

newterp repped this.
  13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he's off form. period. happens to all players.

if it was me, I would have taken him off, putting Naby as Nbr 10 and Ox to replace Naby.

14. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Couldn’t watch this live, just watched the highlights. So happy to see Naby up and going. Boy Mo hates an easy goal don’t he... RBS pure class.

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Monaco -- Ajax ---- Salzberg.....
    always great to see these young spectacular teams gel. (I'd like to have known in advance though how good they were!)

I think this year this 90% guanrantees an easier draw. Dortmund/Athletico/ Real Madrid are the strong teams out of the 5 teams we can possibly face.
    That's a lot better option than having Bayern / Barca/ PSG/ Juventus in the mix....

16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I was gonna ask if any of the young CB's might be expected to step up - but then I realized they'll be holding down the Villa back at home.... jeez

17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    At the same time, Bobby is capable of playing better. He started the season in fantastic form. Everything he tried was working. Today it seemed his touch and passing were a bit off. That doesn’t take away from the great work he does for the team, and I wouldn’t consider dropping him.

I think we are yet to see Salah, Mané, and Firmino all in form at the same time this season. That is a scary thought for the rest of Europe.

18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I came away from this game really impressed with Salzburg. They are one of the best teams we played this season, and it took an outstanding Liverpool performance to reach the next round. It’s unfortunate for them that they came up against the best team in Europe, because I think they would have beaten just about anyone else tonight. It also might be a blessing that they made their comeback at Anfield. It let our players see what they are capable of. If we would have won that game easily we might have underestimated them and got beat today.

Virgil was brilliant. We forget to mention him sometimes because he’s always brilliant, but he really stood out in the first half. What a defender. Henderson was another contender for man of the match. He’s been playing his best football of the season since taking over Fabinho’s role.

Salah’s goal was ridiculous. I still don’t know how he managed that....or how he managed to miss some of the other chances.

Naby Keita was superb again. It was a huge decision for Klopp to pick him. It was against his former club. And he was everything that we would want him to be. If there is one player that can make this team better (how can you be better than 46 out of 48 points?), it is Naby Keita.

What a time to support Liverpool. 14 points ahead of City and in the draw for the final 16. Watford next, before heading off to prove that Europe’s best team is also the world’s best team. Up the Reds!

omaro, Navieko, CB-West and 1 other person repped this.
  19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ox will start Saturday against Watford. In fact I think we will go full or close to full strength and then rotate for the CWC semi final.

so...

Alisson
    AA Gomez VVD Robertson
    Keita Henderson Ox
    Mane Firmino Salah

It could also be Wijnaldum for Keita and possibly Origi for Firmino.

20. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Unless you know what Klopp is expecting from him, it is hard to say. Given that Klopp has played him in every Premier League game and every Champions League game this season, and we sit top of both tables, it seems that he is doing what Klopp wants from him

However today's game he was not off form. His off the ball movement was excellent and on the ball

• Only Henderson and the full backs had more passes than him
    • He and Keita had the most tackles in the team
    • He provided two key passes, only Mane with 3 provided more

I didn't get to see this game live, but I do go to quite a few games and what you do get to notice at Anfield, something which gets overlooked on TV, is the shape and movement of the players who are not in possession. Bobby's running and tactical awareness is excellent both when we attack and when we lose possession. He, along with Henderson and Wijnaldum, are the first to recover possession.

Our team right now plays with two out-and-out wide forwards and two full backs, all four have been given carte blanche to attack. This is why Firminio plays deep, it is why the midfielders last year were, bizarrely, being criticized for their lack of goals and assists. This is a team sport! The team is set up to allow the players best suited to score and assist to do just that. It does not mean the players not scoring and assisting are not contributing.

Top of both the leagues, we have not done that with carrying any passengers in the first eleven.

For the last few years Ronaldo had at Madrid a section of their base could not understand what Benzema did as his goals were not that high. Some thought he was finished. The more informed knew that his game was to get the best out of Ronaldo. With Ronaldo gone he is back to regularly scoring, but when Ronaldo was there the team was built around making chances and space for the player most likely to score. Firminio does the same for Salah and Mane.

zaqualung, omaro and newterp repped this.
  21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well said.

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I did and imo he's off form -- stats and highlights will never tell you that, in the same way as seeing a game live shows you more than tv. he gave the ball away very easily on quite a few occasions.

BTW I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I love the guy. but imo he's due for a rest as Mane and Mo and TAA have been

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agree re OX. but -- don't play AA. one more yellow and he misses the LC game. Millie at RB please Jurgen.

24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Clearly Klopp does not think so. This was a must win game and Origi and Ox have both been in goalscoring form recently, Klopp went with the player he has played in all 16 of our League games and all 6 of our Champions League games. Do you think it is possible that Klopp is seeing something different than you?

I have no problem with resting him. I'm not sure why you think that was the point I was making. All of out players, whatever the form they are in, will need to be rested at some point. It is the entire reason we have a squad.

25. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There’s a difference to saying he’s out of form vs saying he should be dropped for Origi or Ox. Nobody is comparing him to Origi or Ox. Neither of those players can do what Firmino can.

We know what in form Bobby Firmino looks like. He started this season on fire. While he’s still contributing plenty, and justifying his selection, this is not Bobby Firmino at his best.

owian repped this.