FC Kansas City vs Chicago Red Stars June 21, 2014

Discussion in 'KC Current' started by Forgedias, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    rankprev.teampointsgameswinslossesdrawsgoals forgoals againstgoals diff.
    11Seattle Reign FC3212100227918
    22FC Kansas City241474223176
    34Chicago Red Stars201365218144
    43Washington Spirit19136612124-3
    55Western New York Flash171356222166
    66Portland Thorns FC17115421215-3
    77Houston Dash13134811623-7
    88Skyblue FC11132651323-10
    99Boston Breakers9123901526-11

For the most part, the standings stay the same this week with only Chicago flip flopping with Washington and trading places, Chicago is now up to 3rd and Washington goes down to 4th.

FC Kansas City projected roster:

Goalkeepers: Nicole Barnhart, Sara Keane
    Defenders: Becky Saurbrunn, Nikki Phillips, Leigh Ann Robinson, Nia Williams, Amy LePeilbet
    Midfielders: Lauren Holiday, Jen Buczkowski, Jenna Richmond, Frances Silva, Erika Tymrak, Katrina Gorry, Mandy Laddish
    Forwards: Liz Bogus, Melissa Henderson, Amy Rodriguez, Morgan Marlborough, Sarah Hagen

NWSL injury report (as of June 20)

OUT: None
    DOUBTFUL: None
    QUESTIONABLE:
    PROBABLE: Melissa Henderson (right rib contusion), Lauren Holiday (eye infection), Kassey Kallman (left hamstring tendinitis and left metatarsalgia), Mandy Laddish (right groin strain)

Chicago Redstars projected roster:

Goalkeepers: Karina LeBlanc, Taylor Vancil
    Defenders: Julie Johnston, Rachel Quon, Jacqueline Santacaterina, Michelle Wenino, Kecia Morway, Tayrn Hemmings, Abbey Erceg
    Midfielders: Lori Chalupny, Vanessa DiBernardo, Julianne Stitch, Alyssa Mautz, Zakiya Bywaters
    Forwards: Christen Press, Adriana Leon, Jennifer Hoy, Melissa Tancredi, Emily Van Egmond

Samantha Johnson and Hayley Brock are on injured reserve.

NWSL injury report:

OUT: Hayley Brock (tmj surgery), Samantha Johnson (concussion, facial lacerations)
    DOUBTFUL: None
    QUESTIONABLE: None
    PROBABLE: Jackie Santacaterina (right calf strain)

There are a couple of amateurs on the Chicago roster that I did not include in the starting roster.

Projected Starting XI for FC Kansas City (4-2-3-1)

[​IMG]

Probably the safest formation. No big changes from the usual starters. We could see Amy LePeilbet slot in as a starting center back and partner with Becky Sauerbrunn. I would hope that Coach Andonovski would give Frances Silva the start since she has proven that she is an impact player. But I am going with what I think Andonovski will start with, not what I would want to happen.

Projected Starting XI for FC Kansas City (4-4-2, Diamond Midfield)

[​IMG]

Not my favored starting line up, but it would get Sarah Hagen on the field with Amy Rodriguez and if Coach Andonovski really wants to test this formation out, then here it is. I think its a bad idea to test it against a top club in the league like Chicago but this formation has to be brought up as a potential line up that we might see. I would much prefer to see Jenna Richmond play the holding mid role since I think she plays it better then Jenn Buczkowski. She holds the ball up and is willing to take the first tackle and try to make the play with the ball at her feet to move the ball up, instead of just one touching the ball which really doesn't help start the attack. But here is the 4-4-2 that we could potentially see.

Projected Starting XI for the Chicago Red Stars: (4-4-2, Diamond Midfield)

[​IMG]

Chicago normally doesn't deviate from their 4-4-2 so I assume they will keep it with their full roster. Jenn Hoy stays in the line up and Adriana Leon subs out even though Leon is tied for the team lead in assists. I have a feeling they want Hoy out there for her offense. Zakiya Bywaters takes over the left side, but Alyssa Mautz could also start. One or the other will be starting. With Samantha Johnson out with a concussion, Abbey Erceg will most likely start and pair up with Julie Johnston in the back.

Match overview:

Chicago comes into the match stumbling in their last two matches. Leading 2-0 against Skyblue only to then be pegged back and then forced into a draw was disappointing and then to lose 2-0 to a Flash side without many of their stars has to hurt even more. Chicago should at least be able to provide more of a test now with all their national team players back.

FC Kansas City has been able to keep winning, winning 2-1 against a stubborn Houston side that refused to give up. The Blues would go up on a wonderful goal by Jenna Richmond for her first goal of the year, but the Dash would peg the Blues back and tie it on an own goal by Jenn Buczkowski. Frances Silva would play hero and pounce on a cross by Erika Tymrak and attack it and get the game winner for the Blues in extra time. Happily the Blues got the 3 points without their national team players and with their return, hopefully we can see them continue the good form of late.

The Blues cannot underestimate the Red Stars since they now have a leathal striker in Christen Press in the line up. A player that can attack, dribble and provide a lot of pressure on the attack. Add to this, the Blues will have to play on the Chicago pitch, which is a hard American turf that can cause the ball to bounce around. On this surface, the Blues tend to struggle to keep the ball on the ground and they tend to resort to fair number of long balls to compensate for it.

The question has to be asked. Will we see Sarah Hagen play her first match for the Blues. She is with the team now. But has not really practiced or even have a defined role with the team yet. There is only one day separating from the US friendly with France and the game against Chicago. If I had to guess, I would think that Hagen will not play this match, just so she can get accustomed to the daily routine of the club and practice with the players and any new formation changes. Changing the formation now one day before a match is taking a big risk and asking a lot out of the players. So I don't expect Hagen to play today.

Another question is, how long will Lauren Holiday stay on the pitch today. She played the full 90 against France. She also did a Tymrak move and did a spin move around a French defender to get around her and then penetrated the box. I think Tymrak is rubbing off on her. Normally Holiday would play even on a short rest. She is the general for our Club and if you look at past history, Holiday seems to have a fair bit of say if she stays on the pitch or subs off. If she can play, I expect her to be on the pitch dictating our offense.

If the Blues can keep Press at bay and mark her effectively, the Blues have a good chance to control the run of play. The Red Stars rely on a combination of long balls and Vanessa DeBernardo to control the tempo of the attack. If the Blues can disrupt this by cutting service to the forwards and controlling the middle of the pitch, the Blues have a good chance of winning this contest.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    With Kallman's injuries, I'd start Silva at RAM, Mathias at RB, and Robinson at LB. With Holiday on short rest, I'd play Hagen at CAM after the first half, but preserve the superior 4-2-3-1 formation.

I think Chicago will play a 4-3-3, with an upside down triangle, with Chalups and Bernardo at the top two points of the triangle, and with Hoy, Press, and Leon at forward. If Wenino is Chicago's DM, thier midfield would be improved.

KC's midfield, in theory, should still outclass Chicago's. The scenario I imagine playing out is, KC dominating possession, and Chicago sending long balls to Hoy, Leon and Bywaters, with Press backtracking to the midfield because she can't get the ball.

If Hoy is the left-forward, then KC would really need Mathias who excels at the RB position defensively. Leon could cause the KC LB some problems, but if the KC defense stays organized, Leon shouldn't be able to break in easliy unless it's a long ball situation.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    If KC happened to be up by 2 goals, then they could play Gorry at CAM with Hagen at Forward.

4. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm so excited to be heading out to this game with my husband and mom and dad! I sure hope Hagen plays since she is fresh and I hope Hagen and Arod come out with a lot to prove after being snubbed at NT camp.

5. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Have fun! and give us any impressions when you get back.

6. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012

7. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012

8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    She's not even on the bench... :(

9. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Sarah Hagen can't play with the club until she clears paper work with Bayern Munich.

10. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Also this looks pretty professional, wonder if they are using the local broadcast.

11. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    13' Tymrak plays a one two ball with Kallman to get a good chance in the box. The Blues have been attacking the box, not many trying to cross in. Love this.

12. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it has been two weeks . . . what the heck is the hold up? Is this also maybe why we didn't see her for the US?

13. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    34' Leigh ann Robinson sends a cross in and it actually gets to a Blues player. Tymrak would force a good save from Leblanc.

14. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Wouldn't effect the national team, she has played for them this year while playing for Bayern

15. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    44' 2 great saves by Barnhart. Chicago launches into a counter and Tancredi gets a great shot off that Barnhart makes the first save one and then gets to the rebound and saves that.

16. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    1st half impressions:

-Currently 0-0
    -Blues have something like 70% of the possession in that first half. It was very dominant display of ball moving by Kansas City.
    -Very few crosses were sent in by the Blues which I was happy to see.
    -A lot, and I mean a lot of attacks into the box were made by the Blues. Constantly building the attack into the box, which was beautiful to watch.
    -Several scoring chances were created, but Leblanc was sharp and made all the saves so far.
    -Barnhart, who had a much quieter time had to be alert when Chicago made a counter attack and Tancredi would get played into the box and a hard shot was saved and Barnhart made another save right after. Good work.

17. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like Tymrak's chance off the post was the only Grade A chance the Blues have had. A lot of build up but nothing ever seems to come from it. It's beautiful soccer, but it isn't dangerous by any stretch of the imagination.

KC has found a lot of success attacking the end-line, but never seem to have the depth to exploit it. KC has players going near post and far post, but nobody ever seems available at the top of the box and there around for a square back, which is always the most dangerous play you could hope for with an end-line drive.

18. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Frances Silva needs to be subbed in.

19. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    64' Katrina Gorry subs in replacing Lauren Holiday. Not sure I am happy about this. They got to get Silva in and get Mattias out. Mattias is not doing much in the build up.

20. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    67' Dibernardo subs in for Tancredi.

21. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    70' Liz Bogus subs in replacing Tymrak.

Uhhh wow, take all our playmakers off the pitch? We going for the draw at home?

22. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    73' Taryn Hemmings replaces Quon from Chicago.

23. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    76' Merrit Mattias gets dummied a ball by Liz Bogus from Leigh Ann Robinson. Mattias sends a cross in which skips through the Chicago defense and jenn Buczkowski making a run at the far post would slot the shot into goal for hopefully the winner.

24. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    77' Jenn Hoy subs in for Leon for Chicago.

25. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    87' Amy LePeilbet subs in for Jenna Richmond.

These subs are driving me nuts. I don't understand it.