FC Gueugnon

Discussion in 'France' started by panicfc, Aug 15, 2004.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend of mine is a big fan of this club, and in fact he may get a job with them in the coming weeks.

I was just curious to get some info from our French residents about the team. I know they have some financial difficulties right now, did they blow a wad trying to get promoted?

They also won the French Cup two years ago I think.

What about the town? Stadium? Fan support?

Merci

2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    [​IMG]

I really don't follow the lower leagues in france as I do Ligue 1. they currently play in ligue 2. They are currently in 5th place, however it is early doors at this stage.

I believe the town is on the edge of the Saône & Loire valley In central eastern france, the Bourgogne area.. Pls help - i don't live i france (well not now...) I think its half way between Auxerre and Lyon. It has a very small population of about 9000.

They wear yellow shirts with blue trim and play at the Stade Jean Laville(below). Their nickname is "Les Forgerons" (the blacksmiths) because of their historical formation.

[​IMG]

Capicity - 13,872

They actually are building (or trying to rennovate) their existing ground. (below)

[​IMG]

They are indeed a small club in L2 and have a very small budget compared to other teams.
    I think they haven't spend big, they are a small club are don't really have the resources.

They did indeed reach a league cup final in 2000 and beat PSG in 2000 (don't remind me...)

Haven't got a clue about fan-base but i suspect is evergrowing as the club continues to make many friends in france.

3. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Kits - couldn't fit them on....

(home shirt)
    [​IMG]

(away shirt)
    [​IMG]

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great work. Thanks for the help.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is one horrible website.

6. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Cool beans. What kinda job ?

iougs-

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say yet. Don't want to jinx it.
    ==
    By the way, was your club sold? SCO Angers? I remember something about Greg Petersen as part of a group to buy the club.

8. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Never ever heard of any american group buying a piece of SCO (would not have been too hard though because they were loking for money any which way) ... Does not mean it cannot happen behind closed doors but seriously doubt it :)

The President is (still) Patrick Norbert, a french movie producer, I believe. Before that, it was a french journalist at C+, a french tv network.

iougs-

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a story in the USL forums about Petersen leaving the club a week before the 2003 playoffs to join a group that was buying Angers. I thought his club, Des Moines, was making it up.

Sounds like they were.

10. Forgeron

Forgeron New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    France
    Great topic :D

Indeed, Gueugnon is a tiny village and plays in L2 (2nd division before) since 1970, and has never been relegated in third division. Le FCG was promoted in D1 in 95 but was unfortunately relegated for one tiny point at the end of the season. :( In 2000, we became the first L2 team to win the league cup against PSG 2-0 and played the UEFA Cup, really incredible when i think about it! Our best player was Amara Traoré who scored 105 goals ! Sylvain Distin, Manchester City captain, also played at Gueugnon (the season we won the league cup)... ALLEZ GUEUGNON! :cool:

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff. Are you in Gueugnon?

I see the team is doing pretty good right now, any chance of promotion?

12. Forgeron

Forgeron New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    France
    No i'm quite far from Gueugnon, but i ve always supported this team.
    Well i've seen a couple of matches this season and we've good the best defence of the division, unfortunately we have one of the worst attacks (that's why N'zigou has come)... It would be a dream to be promoted ten years after the first promotion but i believe it's gonna be very hard (Montpellier, Sedan, Troyes, Brest). But at Gueugnon nothing is impossible. :cool:

13. Forgeron

Forgeron New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    France
    [​IMG]

The day of glory :)

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would make a great avatar.

Well I have a buddy who's a fan of the club, and he sent me a t-shirt a few years back and a scarf. So I'm hoping to get over maybe this year or next year for sure.

By the way, I'm in Connecticut - probably a bit further away then you ;)

15. Forgeron

Forgeron New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    France
    Great :D Naturally i'm closer 300 km from Gueugnon...unfortunately since the club is a kind of gaulish village, we haven't got a lot of supporters, we never hire stars, it's the way the club lives and it works quite good... Gueugnon is a permanent miracle especially ourdays with foot business.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    300KM where is that? Lille?

This sounds exactly like my friend described. Good club for me to like.

Also heard they develop players and have great fans.

17. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    ugh, :(

Please don't talk about the 2000 cup final. Its like some sort of deep-rooted child abuse memory...

Gueugnon are not doing too bad at the moment (4th I think) Could well reach Ligue 1 if they hit a bit of form.

I've been following Ligue 2 alot more this year....;)

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who's the next game against?

19. babitrhino

babitrhino BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 5, 2005
    I AM LIVING IN FRANCE i AM EVEN FRENCH AND NO DOUBT YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED BY GUEUGNON A VERY VERY BORING PLACE AND THIS YEAR THEY TRY PLAY ALL THEIR CHANCES TO GET ACCESS TO THE FIRST LEAGUE

20. babitrhino

Jan 5, 2005
    Hello.....I want to just to announce you the nearest creation of a site which
    could interest you .
    With this site you will be able to download broadcast which
    propose extracts of the matches of the 1ere league like match
    of the day one BBC 3 . You can also receive national broadcasts from leagues like Italy , Spain , Portugal , Germany from different European leagues .
    If you have personal requests let us know we can also satisfy them.
    This site will be available on this address :
    http://www.footweekend.com
    For more information send me e-mails on babitrhino@hotmail.com

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the site be MacIntosh compatible?

Sounds great by the way.

22. babitrhino

Jan 5, 2005
    I don ' t think so.......Sorry

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DAMN BillGates!

24. Forgeron

Forgeron New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    France
    No near Paris. Yeap we develop players but also give a chance to players from lower divisions such as Distin for example. "Great" fans, i don't know! We have a few fans (3.000 , 4.000 per match) but there are less than 9.000 habitants so it's not too bad.

Next game is against Clermont (home) tuesday... and Friday we play at Créteil ; 6 points would be nice :cool:

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I may get over there in the next year or so, I'll let you know how it goes.

How far is Angers from Gueugnon?