Favre resigns

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by panicfc, Sep 20, 2015.

1. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Doesn't really matter when it comes to the sports pages. The argueably overall best Berlin based paper is the Berliner Zeitung, but regarding to sports it is completely irrelevant.

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The point was I couldn't say anything about these articles because I didn't read them.
    ;)

4. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #29 Bananenflanke, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Demandt won the league last season (he's now coaching Wehen-Wiesbaden and not doing very well)

Schubert is a new arrival for this season; he coached Paderborn & St.Pauli in 2.Bundesliga and finished coaching academy as best of the bunch (which doesn't mean anything, of course)
    some queer rumours especially regarding his time at the red-light club... I read of 'scorched earth' but don't have the slightest clue what exactly happened
    at press conference yesterday he seemed focused (I especially liked his call for more aggression) and in good spirits (ok, that's his job)... unfortunately I sensed no traces of oddness and genius (I got used to that in the past ;-)
    Eberl pointed out that there might be a fast solution but also that it might take until winter break to get the right guy
    a little bit strange: said the good coaches aren't available in September (is he gonna to buy someone out?)

a name which is repeatedly mentioned in media: Horst Steffen
    played and coached for Borussia, get's a lot of praise for his work at Stuttgarter Kickers (an underfunded 3.Liga club)

Jupp: one journalist figured out he's living exactly 7km from the stadium and would be able to bike to Borussia Park regardless of his age

5. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    yeah right, didn't they train the Berlin taxidrivers just before WC 2006 to be more polite to their (foreign) customers than they usually are to their German customers? 'Berliner snout...' ;-)))

Dage repped this.
  6. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  7. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Gladbach (and other german soccer clubs) are recently giving free tickets to refugees
    one supporter asked if this applies to Favre, too

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS repped this.
  8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's good to see some humor back in the forum even if it's some Galgenhumor :p

9. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well i have my moments :thumbsup::p:D;)....but what did you expect?? I mean at this point it seemed like the only solution...to spice it up with some humour after all we pretty much hit an Armageddon and am not sure what else could possibly go wrong for us in such a crucial season...hopefully its only going to be UP from here on in for VFL Nation:thumbsup::alien::alien::thumbsup::):p:p:alien:

10. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To those incredulous some of us were not surprised by this announcement, I don't know what to tell you but it was coming since the summer. Favre prepared this team in no way, shape or form for the season. The squad was at an early pre season level when first match happened and it never improved from there. You could tell there had been an extreme lack of preparation on the coach's part to integrate players, develop tactics, train, work on formations. It was a side with no recognizable similarities to last season. Favre was checked out. He has been trying to leave for 2 seasons. Mainly to France flirting with the big clubs there and England. He has a fickle and insecure personality. The board and Eberl have talked him off the ledge and into signing extensions multiple times. At Hertha we saw same story, he was successful one year nearly bringing Hertha to a title/champions league and just fell short, then he hoped some bigger club would grab him or he lost focus and they started season a complete train wreck losing every match. Sound familiar? Same story with us. He resigned from Hertha and he resigned from us in same exact scenario.

Think about it from his selfish perspective. He was completely checked out and uninterested in this season, had no idea how to turn around this train wreck he had created, why stay when you know Borussia will not fire you. He doesn't want to leave having lost the first 10 matches of season because by then stock will have dropped and big clubs will be down on him. He wanted to leave as early as possible so his reputation was not too damaged. This is why he resigned. He had no interest, ideas or desire to fix the situation. He left the club hanging in the worst possible situation which is cowardly and inexcusable to me. He has done amazing things for the club taking us to heights not seen in 30 years but all that is more than undone in my eyes by how he treated us like a garbage bin in the way he approached this season and abandoned the club. I will be in minority here, but good riddance. Don't need a coward as a trainer. He will land just fine in the EPL or at Marseille, Monaco, Lyon wherever.

That is in past. Looking forward to important things, we should let Schubert coach rest of season unless we are unable to get out of relegation struggle. The candidates to replace are not worth taking even on a short term basis: Schaaf, Slomka, no thanks. Heynckes I highly doubt. We need to wait until this summer and look for one of the up and coming coaches like Weinzierl, Hasenhuttl, possibly even Verbeek who is experienced and doing a good job at Bochum. Let's not rush this decision. I don't want to rehash someone from the trash bin.

11. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #36 Bananenflanke, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    man, you really seem frustrated!
    yes, he might has an irrational character
    yes, he wanted out for several times (before season again, Meyer told yesterday)
    I surely don't know what exactly has happened but your theory doesn't work for me
    a) I don't think the club (and experienced players) is stupid enough not to realize Favre isn't prepping the team in a professional way
    b) I don't think the club feels betrayed at all: they are not washing any dirty laundry in public, quite the contrary
    c) I don't think Favre is improving his chances to coach TOP-clubs at all
    there are maybe 20 of them all of whom are able to chose from a lot of coaches
    do they opt for a coach who has a 'might-run-away-from-one-day-to-the-next-record'?
    after he gave this strange press conference at Hertha (justified or not: after all we're talking about Dieter Hoeness one of the biggest imposters ever) Favre ended on the storage siding (and would have stayed there if it wasn't for Eberl...) ... it seems he now has damaged his reputation again (maybe not in France)
    big clubs don't care for tender loving care like Borussia did for 4 1/2 years, they don't need to

maybe the magic was just gone (look at Schaaf [ok, he lasted longer!], Klopp etc.)
    or most likely: 3rd place last season was way more than our squad-quality normally allows (and Favre knows that better than everbody and given his his fear to bely expectations...)
    burn-out rumours, too

my gratitude certainly is bigger than my disappointment (mainly because of the moment of his resignement: he should have gone ahead before the beginning of the season... coach-market is dry and there is barely time for training because of the english weeks)

Borussia, panicfc and Dage repped this.
  12. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #37 Bananenflanke, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    according to L'Equipe Borussia approached EA Guingamp
    they (who would have thought!) refused to let Jocelyn Gourvennec go
    recommended by Favre? could be!
    L'Equipe seems respectable to me... then again: kind of unlikely... is he speaking German?

13. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm still sad that Lucien Favre - whom we owe so much - is gone (well, lots of rumours and speculation concerning the reason of his sudden departure) ... but well, such things always happen in soccer (look at Klopp in Dortmund last season).

After all, let's not forget that he had the balls to resign on time (in contrast to many other trainers, who are waiting until they get fired in order to receive a good financial compensation), so his friend Max Eberl would not get confronted with the bad scenario of having to fire him.

Buona notte.

14. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :oops::oops::oops:;)
    You have the right to be frustrated.It shows your loyalty.I don't agree with everything you have posted...but you hit home when you describe the manner and fashion of his departure...it was identical to being cheated on by your loved one and partner in life out of nowhere and being absolutely ambushed! That being said we don't know all the details and most likely we would never get to the bottom of it as fans....plus he has done so much positive for us that it makes this departure more and more painful...I think we should just enjoy and be greateful for his work at Gladbach...but since you brought the topic up this is my two cents...I was always supportive of him and his genius as a football mastermind...but let me tell you this..I was surprised when he extended with us...don't ask me why I just never ever got a solid gut feeling about him wanting to stay at the Park as our saviour and long term coach....I never bought it up but now is the time...he always striked me as a coach that's in some sort of transit here at Gladbach...anyway panic and bananen also have valid points and Uwe...but i absolutely feel you and where your coming from....conclusion is he did so much good for us....that as a fan we should be able to forgive him for the way he departed the club and its fans;):oops::cautious::sick::speechless::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

15. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    still thinking about the whole thing... up and down
    it's not that I understand Favre (who does? maybe his wife?) but I cannot imagine he's that deceitful
    (he seems to me like a person who is perfectionist, who doesn't like discussions when he already made his mind up and who hates to compromise... and in life where compromise often is what keeps things going this attitude suddenly might end in dead-end road)
    anyway, wannabee-psychology, moral and the conventions in professional soccer aside (→ reputation): forcing a move to an international top-club wouldn't exactly be a clever move in legal terms
    you cannot walk out of contract and sign to another club just like that
    last one who resigned without approval of his club (at the end of a season! contract for another season) was Tuchel
    Heidel at Mainz wasn't amused and forced him into a one year sabbatical: without pay! based on the law he made clear that any signement needs his approval and would go with a huge buy-out-sum
    Favre's contract (which is still valid) lasts till 2017!
    maybe they had an unofficial agreement which allows Favre to walk out at the end of a season (like Klopp and BVB handled it) but surely not that hasty
    I guess it's just a special situation and we (from the outside) are damned to fish in muddy waters

sports-attorney Christoph Schickhardt (a guy who is right in the middle when it get's ugly and who should know much more than media or supporters) said something interesting in „11 Freunde“:
    „I know the conditions in Mönchengladbach very well. In nearly 35 years of Bundesliga-business with hundreds of 'coach-cases' I never - when I remember rightly - saw a club which backed up his coach more. That applies for the whole setting: chairmanship, management, supporters, journalists, sponsors. There was never a word of criticism neither internal nor external. That almost was an unparalleled constellation in German football after five matches without any points. In this respect Borussia simply isn't a normal club, but an intact, closed community.“
    and he pointed out that this must be paradise for an excellent coach like Favre
    Schickhardt himself expected a relationship built for eternity (while admitting this might be romantically minded)

I mentioned Favre's striking cheerfullness in pre-season if I remember rightly
    which seemed strange, because he usually always was in warning mood
    and in several interviews he stated (without being forced at all) that Borussia's way must be to hunt raw talent and that he's fine with that
    all of this even stranger now! yeah, a lot of thoughts, as wise as before

from his press release:
    „It's about the club, about the „Mythos Borussia“.“
    „I have to take this decision for Borussia, for the future.“
    „You [the supporters] always will be in my heart.“

16. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    SOMEBODY THROW ME A LIFE LINE PLZ...MY LIVE STREAMS ARE NOT WORKING ;((((""

17. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    heard of people which use sportstream.tv
    don't know, not a stream-watcher myself

18. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Have had a pretty bad streak as far as live streams are concerned...hopefully this one works.Would be great to finally see a game this weekend...specially if its about SO4 crashing in flames.
    Thanks for the info:thumbsup::ROFLMAO::D

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    team looks great. I'd rather keep him, then take a chance on someone else at this point.

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news! He deserves it. The length of time is just right as well.

22. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Schubert-table:

1. baldhead coaching in the Alpine foothills (9 matches/25 points)
    2. baldhead coaching Gladbach (9 matches/24 points!!!)
    3. (9/16!)
    4. (9/14!)
    5.-18. further (unlucky) coaches with surpisingly more hair; ex-coach Frontzeck the exception to the rule

23. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    finally we have proof!
    BILD, world's high-circulation newspaper No.1 (ok, I skipped Asia, just too many people living there), is reading here!
    today's headline: "Duel of the super-baldheads!"
    who knew?

24. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Hazard:
    "It came from nowhere and was a real shock for me. ... Nobody suspected that Lucien Favre chucks it all in that early. In restrospect I understand his thoughts. He wanted something fundamental to change within the team. The winning-run we immediately started under Andre Schubert proves him right in the end."

panicfc repped this.