Favorites to win in Russia' 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MIGkiller, Jun 27, 2016.

?

Favorites to win in Russia' 2018

1. Argentina

2. Brazil

3. Chile

4. England

5. Germany

6. Italy

7. France

8. Spain

9. Uruguay

10. Netherlands

11. Portugal

12. Other

13. Belgium

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Chile's biggest problem right now isn't what their form will be like going into the tournament, but whether they'll get in at all, as they currently sit 2 points back of Argentina for the chance to compete in an intercontinental playoff with over half of qualifying complete, and would have to jump Paraguay as well. If they were positioned to qualify easily, I'd probably have them in the same tier as Belgium.

2. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #77 Rickdog, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Conmebol qualifiers are the most dificult of the whole world, where everyone can beat everyone. No one has it easy along the way, and the whole process is very long and currently we are 8 matches away, which is a lot of matches still to go. It still is too early to say which teams will make it and which teams will not. After 4 more matches, you might even see those whom now are in the middle of the table, at the very top, the same as you may see those whom currently are at top, falling behind those whom are currently bellow them.

In the past in other process's we've already been in this same position (for the 2014 qualifiers, at this point we had even less points than those we currently have, and only started wining points again after matchday 11), or even worse than now (for 1998 we only entered into the last qualifying position, 5 matchdates before they were over), and we still managed to get through, so with the amount of matches still pending to be played, anything can still happen.
    And this goes the same for the other teams in the zone, as well (for instance look at Argentina, whom in the last 3 matches have only won 2 points). Examples going the other way also happen in Conmebol (Colombia for the 2010 process started brilliantly, went on unbeaten till the 7th match date, and as they lost something happened to them that from that point they went down hill to never recover and of course they didn't make it).

In Conmebol, 2 points may be a very small diference, but at the same time, a very big one.

We'll just have to wait for at least 4 more match dates, to see, whom is really getting closer and whom is getting further, from the next WC.
    Oh, and allow me some fantasy here.
    If for the next matchday, we beat Colombia by 2 goals (with our team scoring 3 goals), Argentina loses against Brazil, Paraguay has a draw or loses against Peru and Uruguay scores their regular 3 goal diference they've been scoring over almost all their opponents when playing at home in this process, over Ecuador, after next match date we could jump all the way from the 7th position to the 3rd position, in these qualifiers.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That does sound like a fantasy. Especially since Colombia has not lost a match in Barranquilla by more than one goal in many, many, many years.:ROFLMAO:

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just 4 points from these next two matches (@ COL, v URU) would put Chile in a good position. No need for anything miraculous.

Not that 4 points would be easy....

GunnerMan8705 repped this.
  5. GunnerMan8705

GunnerMan8705 Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I mean to be fair, Brazil looked dead in the water going into Match-Day 5 and were in 6th in the standings.... 4 Games later they are now in 1st.

Things can change very quickly. Chile has just got to get Alexis Sanchez going. He has been eerily quiet.... Vargas too... they haven't gotten anything from them really so far in WCQ.

6. GunnerMan8705

GunnerMan8705 Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Problem is, Chile's remaining schedule is not forgiving:

@Colombia
    Uruguay
    @ARGENTINA
    Venezuela
    Paraguay
    @Bolivia
    Ecuador
    @ Brazil

Those away games.... Colombia, Argentina, Brazil - Gonna be an extremely tough road.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Everyone else has the same schedule pretty much. Paraguay slightly easier because they don't have to play Argentina. But Ecuador, Chile and Argentina's remaining schedules have the same level of difficulty.

8. GunnerMan8705

GunnerMan8705 Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just saw this article on NBC Sports having some fun and predicting the 2018 field and entire tourney... Here is what they had:

Asia (4 of 10 qualifiers played)IN: Iran, Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia, Australia
    PLAYOFF: Japan vs. South Korea - Japan winner

CONCACAF (No Hex games played, based on last round)IN: Mexico, Costa Rica, United States
    PLAYOFF: Trinidad and Tobago

South America (10 of 18 qualifiers played)IN: Brazil, Uruguay, Ecuador, Colombia
    PLAYOFF: Argentina

Oceania (0 third round qualifiers played, based on last round)PLAYOFF: New Zealand

Europe (3 of 10 qualifiers played)IN: France, Switzerland, Germany, Serbia, Montenegro, England, Spain, Belgium, Croatia
    UEFA PLAYOFFS: Italy, Iceland, Greece, Sweden, Poland, Ireland, Azerbaijan, Portugal
    PROJECTION: We’re using a random draw (honestly, we used Random.org)
    Greece vs. Sweden — Greece wins
    Italy vs. Ireland — Italy wins
    Azerbaijan vs. Iceland — Iceland wins
    Portugal vs. Poland — Portugal wins
    Intercontinental playoffs:
    Japan vs. Trinidad and Tobago — Japan wins
    Argentina vs. New Zealand — Argentina wins

FIELD (FIFA Rankings)
    1. Russia (host, 38)
    2. Argentina (1)
    3. Belgium (2)
    4. Germany (3)
    5. Colombia (T-4)
    6. Brazil (T-4)
    7. Portugal (7)
    8. France (8)
    9. Uruguay (9)
    10. Spain (11)
    11. England (12)
    12. Italy (13)
    13. Croatia (14)
    14. Mexico (15)
    15. Switzerland (16)
    16. Costa Rica (18)
    17. Ecuador (19)
    18. USA (22)
    19. Iceland (27)
    20. Ivory Coast (34)
    21. Iran (37)
    22. Senegal (39)
    23. Australia (45)
    24. Greece (48)
    25. Uzbekistan (49)
    26. Serbia (50)
    27. DR Congo (51)
    28. Saudi Arabia (52)
    29. Egypt (53)
    30. Japan (56)
    31. Nigeria (64)
    32. Montenegro (105)
    THE POTS
    Like last cycle, the nine European qualifiers mean one will have to join Pot 2. Our random selection was… England. Wow.
    Pot 1 (seeds): Russia, Argentina, Belgium, Germany, Colombia, Brazil, Portugal, France
    Pot 2 (CAF & SA): England, DR Congo, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Egypt, Uruguay, Ecuador
    Pot 3 (AFC & CONCACAF): Japan, Iran, Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia, Australia, USA, Mexico, Cosa Rica
    Pot 4 (Europe): Italy, Greece, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia, Montenegro, England, Spain, Croatia
    THE DRAW
    Group A: Russia, Italy, Ivory Coast, Australia
    Group B: Brazil, Greece, Ecuador, Uzbekistan
    Group C: Colombia, Spain, Serbia, Saudi Arabia
    Group D: Argentina, Croatia, Senegal, Japan
    Group E: France, Switzerland, DR Congo, Mexico
    Group F: Belgium, Montenegro, Uruguay, Iran
    Group G: Germany, England, USA, Egypt
    Group H: Portugal, Iceland, Nigeria, Costa Rica

Round of 16
    Spain def. Japan
    Italy def. Greece
    Brazil def. Russia
    Argentina def. Colombia
    France def. Uruguay
    Germany def. Nigeria
    Mexico def. Belgium
    USA def. Portugal*

Quarterfinals
    Italy def. Spain
    Brazil def. Argentina
    Germany def. France
    USA def. Mexico*

Semifinals
    Brazil def. Italy
    Germany def. USA

Final
    Brazil def. Germany

*Allow us this daydream. Thanks.

EvanJ repped this.
  9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Not so many.
    For the 2010 WC qualifiers, they lost 2-4, against, guess who ?
    :whistling:

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #85 HomietheClown, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Ding Dong... ...you are wrong.

That was not Barranquilla. That was Medellin (in a half empty stadium might I add).
    :whistling:

11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yeah, you are right, it was at Medellin.

Whatever, fact is that particularly for WC qualifiers, in Barranquilla, we've never lost against Colombia, neither. And last time we played there, we scored 3 times.

12. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Very difficult to predict. At this point in 2000, Brazil were struggling in qualification, yet they went on to win the tournament, while Argentina steamrolled qualifying and flopped in the tournament itself. Anything can change in about 20 months time. The form of the players will be such an important factor, as will the coaches and squad selection.

I'll go with the safest choice and pick Germany as usual favorites.

13. GunnerMan8705

GunnerMan8705 Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do think a team from Northern Africa breaks through.... Either Nigeria or Algeria..

14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised more people haven't picked France. They seem to have the best talent, and key players like Pogba, Grizemann will be hitting their primes at the right time.

15. GunnerMan8705

GunnerMan8705 Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    France is just missing something for me. I can't put my finger on it.

16. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Don't forget Umtiti, Varane, Rabiot, Lacazette, and Coman.

I was going to add Martial and Schneiderlein, but both seem to have stagnated a bit at United.

17. GunnerMan8705

GunnerMan8705 Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The thing is France has to find the right 11, and play those guys in the best possible way. Gonna be interesting to see how they handle the Benzema ordeal. I get there is a lot that goes into the situation but his addition would be huge.

Kind of the same deal with Balotelli. Yeah there is history but Italy could really use someone with his ability and physicality up front. He has shown at Nice he still has a lot left. I'm a big Balotelli fan though.

18. GunnerMan8705

GunnerMan8705 Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A team that I am interested to see how they fair is Netherlands.... Robben, Sneijder and Van Persie are old as hell...where do their goals come from?

19. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran is having a strong qualification, I believe we can surprise in Russia 2018 and go to the Quarter Finals.

GunnerMan8705 repped this.
  20. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Asian Qualies are probably the weakest in the World, so having success in them doesn't say much about those teams' real level compared to the rest of the world

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Odds are Colombia will probably win by the two goals you describe. But a draw is not out of the question I will concede.
    Should be a fun match.

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #97 Rickdog, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    I don't think so.
    Colombia somehow seems to always implode, whenever they particularly, face Chile. Specially when playing at home.

Besides, almost always, it is Chile whom scores first (even when playing in Colombia). And if we, by any chance happen to do it again for next match, we would have reached the same amount of points that Colombia currently has, and our team would switch all the remaining pressure of the match, to Colombia.

Playing under pressure, Chile usually plays better, while Colombia under pressure, usually plays worse.

At last, as another fact to keep in mind, we haven't lost in Colombia for the last 3 WC qualifiers (we've got 2 draws playing in Barranquilla (2006-2014) and slaughtered Colombia in Medellin for 2010).

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As long as James is healthy there is no way Chile is winning. They can't seem to beat him during Qualifiers. And in Barranquilla I like my chances even better.

24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Specifically at WC qualifiers, hasn't happened, but he did play for Colombia, where he was pretty healthy, 3 months ago, when we beated Colombia at last Copa America centenario, during the semi's.

Besides, Colombia with a healthy James, playing for WC qualifiers at Barranquilla, has never defeated us neither.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They should have scheduled the game in high altitude like Bogota. Look what happened when Chile played in Quito!