Favorites to win in Russia' 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MIGkiller, Jun 27, 2016.

?

Favorites to win in Russia' 2018

1. Argentina

2. Brazil

3. Chile

4. England

5. Germany

6. Italy

7. France

8. Spain

9. Uruguay

10. Netherlands

11. Portugal

12. Other

13. Belgium

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What do you mean? They are rivals. They used to be the two most successful teams until Germany won 2014. But still, we are huge rivals. I would never ever cheer for Brazil ever until we have at least 2 more world cups than they do, which will likely be a very long time if it ever happens.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We will play Germany in a friendly in March so we'll see where we stand. It's only a friendly but still it should be at the very least used for the players to lay off some jitters if they play in the WC.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Used to ? Speak for yourself. Aside from the score (and the following Copa America performance) we still finished 4th. In previous 2 WCs we only lost to finalists in the QFs one of them being a very even match (2010). And since 2014 we look back on track.

So we are in way better shape than Italy that has had 2 group stage knockouts and now a WC no show.

Isn't Germany your rival too ?

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Or if we get a repeat... then well...

But honestly who from the 2014 team will still be there:
    No Julio Cesar, no Maicon, probably no David Luiz, no Luis Gustavo, no Hulk, no Oscar, no Bernard, no Fred, Dante looks unlikely.

So basically the two survivors are Fernandinho and Marcelo, whereas Fernandinho looks like a sub for Casemiro.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Even if Brazil were not good in 2014, that 7 x 1 was an aberration. Everything went right for Germany in those 10 mins that blew the game wide open. I don't expect to see that again.

6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think you misunderstood him. The "used too" comment referred to the fact that historically Italy is no longer in second place on the all time list after Germany won in 2014. The other half of his comment was lamenting that Italy is unlikely to get past Brazil's all time performance. He was having a go (means being critical if my Australian English isn't understood) at his own nation's football team, not yours.

Hayaka repped this.
  7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Checked it and you're right. The bit between brackets (IIRC...) was incorrect. Maybe it were the Swiss, who lack a top goalscorer themselves, with 14. Regardless, quite a few countries had plenty of different goalscorers. As proven you can manage without a top goalscorer (great to have them though). Also, it's WCQs, teams like England often do well in those but not so much in the final event.

According to you, what's, or better yet should be, Germany's pecking order regarding the striker situation? Should Gomez even be in this conversation? Stindl is being outscored by T.Hazard, who definitely isn't a 9 himself. I guess Löw will have to put his trust in Werner but after him???

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, misinterpreted what he wrote. Now I see he probably means Italy / Brazil were top 2 and now Germany is up in 2nd. Honestly, even with Italy having 4 and Germany 3 WC titles, I already saw Germany as 2nd based on their sheer consistency to get deep into WCs more often than Italy and even Brazil. Plus 2 of Italy's WC titles were 34 and 38. Even more ancient than the 50s and 60s.

Even with one WC less, I'd place Germany on the same level as Brazil historically again based on their consistency.

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I would have thought the Olympic victory - even if it was only via penalties - would have helped overcome some of those jitters.
    What players from that 2016 team do you think will be in the 2018 squad this summer?

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Marquinhos, Renato Augusto, Neymar and Gabriel Jesus.

From the 2014 WC team, Neymar, Dani Alves, Marcelo, Paulinho, Thiago Silva, Willian and maybe Fernandinho. Out of those only Marcelo and Fernandinho were on the field in that SF.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also believe Casameiro will add quite a bit to the team.