Favorites to win in Russia' 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MIGkiller, Jun 27, 2016.

?

Favorites to win in Russia' 2018

1. Argentina

2. Brazil

3. Chile

4. England

5. Germany

6. Italy

7. France

8. Spain

9. Uruguay

10. Netherlands

11. Portugal

12. Other

13. Belgium

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    I agree. England does not have a single player who I would rate as "World Class" - they have a group of very good players, they are solid as a team, but they have nowhere near the depth of Germany, Spain, France (all three also having a bunch of "World Class" players) to count as a main contender. They also do not have a player who could singlehandedly make a difference and win a game, like for example Messi, or Neymar.

Even in the past, when England actually had players who could have made the difference (like Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard) they failed, so winning now is even more an illusion...

Pipiolo repped this.
  2. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Yes, Germany will play with little pressure. They have already won it, and I think Germans may just care a bit less this time. Nevertheless, they will be ready 110%, and with their depth and effective system (they can miss a player on any position, and there always be someone who can replace him without loss of effectiveness to the whole formation) they are among main favorites.

elviejomen repped this.
  3. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Oh, yes, and I forgot to add their goalkeeper issues. Since Shilton left, all of their keepers were parodists at best... Without a solid keeper, your chances of winning will always go down.

4. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The new manager hasn't really changed much of anything. Just brought more motivation and spirit to the team. Mostly same tactics.

Uruguay is overrated and I'd say Round of 16 or Quarterfinals for them. Although Bentacur is a young midfielder that could be key.

5. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    When the World Cup is hosted by a UEFA member you can expect ...

... a team from UEFA to become World Champions
    => very high probability (Sweden1958 the only exception)

... UEFA to provide at least 1 finalist, pretty much a guarantee, and both finalists would be no surprise either
    => not a chance that there will be no finalists from UEFA, a good chance it will be an exclusively European final

... UEFA teams to take all final four places, which is quite fashionable, or at least 3 semifinalists will be from UEFA
    => 50/50 either event occurs and no chance of having less than 3 semifinalists from UEFA

... UEFA to have 6 out of 8 quarterfinalists ... it's commonplace that Brazil/Argentina fill the remaining two spots
    => there's a slim chance of increasing/decreasing the amount of UEFA teams that reach the quarters

... anything less than quarters means that at best this team just survived the group and got knocked out immediately after (meh)

@Nico777 ... what was your prediction again? ... IIRC it had something to do with how well teams outside the powerhouses from UEFA would perform in Russia.

In Russia even Germany, with their impressive record, can't take anything for granted ... successive titles would be extraordinary. Still 4 out of 5 titles were won by 4 (four) different UEFA sides since expansion to 32 teams ... France and (perpetual underachievers) Spain only won their very first title in the last 5 WCs (a second title might be on the cards) ... Italy and Holland are out (the former won't add yet another star and the latter won't come close this time) ... the teams outside the top 5 from UEFA (or top 6 if you include England, a bit of a stretch though) should be able to grab quite a few QF places and maybe make a deep run.

Hayaka repped this.
  6. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How are you coping ?

7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

Graph confirms it; UEFA too strong and even stronger when the World Cup is held in Europe.

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What do you mean? I don't understand what you are trying to say. I mean I watched every single game they played so far. Same tactics pretty much.

9. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    England is still rock solid in qualifying.Sooner or later they will get it right but Russia 2018 is probably a WC too early.
    Mind you,if Southgate is getting it right and old Harry has his scoring boots on..England could go pretty far upcoming summer.
    England is WCs in many under 22s age groups.Their time will come.
    Too big a football country to keep underperforming at world level.
    Sooner or later they will get it right.All it takes is one glorious month really..at the exact right time.

10. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

I think he is asking how are you coping with Italy getting knocked out.

artielange84 repped this.
  11. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    It is a shame that Italy hasn´t qualified.I think the whole world of football agrees in vast majority.
    I`m Sweden and this is the general opinion up north.
    However,not on our expense...

12. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, how are you coping with Italy being knocked out

I hadn't seen one, but I assume there's a post by you somewhere with an Italian formation and lineup that you believed would at the very least make the final

13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well I am bummed but there is nothing we can do about it now. Its really a disgrace because with a good coach we really should be competing to win this World Cup with the talent we have.

The fact that we have so much talent and that we didn't even qualify means there are huge problems that have to be fixed, probably some that we don't even know about.

However Ventura should never have been the coach of this team. I thought he might do ok at the beginning as he had reputation of investing in youth, but he didn't do anything with our youth basically. He played them and no results came.

I still plan to watch the World Cup is a neutral, but honestly it is what it is. Nothing we can do about it now. However if we get a good coach I am optimistic about the League of Nations and Euro 2020. Also League of Nations will be a great test for us because we will be playing good teams.

The Potter and artielange84 repped this.
  14. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was genuinely sad when Italy failed to make it, I expected to find it funny like I did with America but I felt really blue about it.

15. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Dele Alli is definitely world class.

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure about world class yet, but he could be. Kane might be as well.

Nico777 repped this.
  17. sevenace

sevenace New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Some people say Russia is different from the rest of Europe.

18. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Those people are dumb then. Russian culture is Eastern European. They are very similar to Ukraine.

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Germany broke all the statistics and supposed confederational advantages and that by winning the worldcup in Brazil and even thrashing Brazil in front of their home fans.

I don't think it matters that this worldcup is in Europe or not. I think the best teams are going to succeed and do well period regardless of where they are from. I don't see UEFA teams having some massive advantage at all.

Football has moved on from all that. Most proffessionsal players from South America, Africa ply their trade and live in Europe anyways.

I don't see any advantage at all.

20. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Spain won in South Africa so it is not Germany that broke the trend.
    The trend is more about an UEFA team winning the world cup wherever it is played since a decade than about any confederation being able to win anywhere.

There are world class players all over the world but when you look at the uefa and fifa teams of the year since few years UEFA got like 6-7 players if not more.
    When you look at the champions league winners since few years it is the same.

Real Madrid starting XI:

Navas carvajal ramos varane marcelo casemiro kroos modric isco cr7 benzema

8 uefa players 2 brazilians 1 costa rician.

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll make a prediction too: if Belgium and Argentina meet, the tournament ends for Belgium.

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I still think Belgium could be a much better team under better management. The coaching has improved since Wilmonts left, but I still think the team isn't managed well at all. I feel like there is a lack of game plan and tactics and the teamwork is not showing.

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There are only four European NTs capable of winning the WC, and Croatia is not one of them: Germany, Italy, Spain and France. Italy will not be present, so that leaves three against two by Conmebol (Brazil and Argentina). Not such big of an advantage.

On the other hand, overall head to head record since 1998 clearly favors Conmebol, as does progression relative to allocation.

I also feel that Russia provides as much exoticism to Western Europe as to any other confederation. It may be more familiar to Eastern Europe, but none of these nations are capable of winning the WC.

celito repped this.
  24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Croatia, Portugal, and Belgium are capable, ok?

The only South American teams capable are Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay, and even Uruguay I am not so sure about.

Well Chile is capable as well, but they aren't there so its impossible.

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No they're not.

Christina99 repped this.